1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Premier League, Cups & Euro Watch

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by LuisDiazgamechanger, Jul 6, 2018.

?

Result...

1. Home win

2. Draw

3. Away win

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

I think we are still in a weird phase
    Think i will wait to see what happens with the likes of psg

Real Madrid have been bank rolled by their royalty for years and which one of them did the thing with the training ground ?

I just dont see how its only city, granted they haven't helped themselves by essentially, lying
    But we will see
    One thing is certain imho
    This will be pretty interesting what happens

2. saintKlopp

Perhaps it isn't - time will tell.
    Real have been doing it for decades, and the rules to prevent it weren't there. FFP is a relatively recent thing so it was too late to catch them.
    City were caught using subterfuge to try and get round the rules - "Others are doing it as well" is no defence. If anyone else is suspected of similar activities then expect them to face the same investigation.
    It's City's second offence as well, so that's bound to make it worse.

johnsonsbaby and Bumps like this.
  3. Klopp's Mannschaft

Klopp's Mannschaft Well-Known Member

That's the only saving grace for Chelsea in all of this. They were before FFP and before people started to take note - same as Real. If you look at both teams since 2012ish, they've massively slowed down. Chelsea have been investigated and have had to do things properly since. Real aren't anywhere near the spenders they were and are having to clear out expensive earners before taking on new big names. Chuck Barca in there too, they have to clear off the high-earning dead wood to fund new signings. City and PSG are literally the only two teams fiddling their financial papers to this extent whereby they don't need to sell or balance the books in any consideration.

Bumps and saintKlopp like this.
  4. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Just seen tonight's result. That along with Man City's European ban really makes for a interesting run in for the CL spots.

Bumps and Sucky like this.
  5. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Chelsea have gone to **** since having to curve their spending (and once the youth players evaporated)

Sucky and Klopp's Mannschaft like this.
  6. Klopp's Mannschaft

We were extremely fortunate that the right owners came along and the right manager all at the right time. I genuinely believe our owners are a cut above most and Klopp's record speaks for itself. I don't need to mention where we were prior to this combination; constant fluctuation. If we didn't get Klopp, we might also be in that same boat, struggling make any consistant progress; One step forwards, two steps back as our better players were poached to the bigger, higher paying teams (Suarez, Sterling...not so long ago). Go back 10 years and the idea of us competing with City, never mind United/Chelsea at that time were lightyears away - just like Wolves, Spurs, Sheff United, Everton now. Only difference is that we've still got that prestige from our history as a platform.

7. Klopp's Mannschaft

Long may it continue

johnsonsbaby and Sucky like this.
  8. saintKlopp

And we've qualified for next season's CL. :)

9. Libby

Libby 9-0

Premier League and FL have their own versions, though less strict I believe.

Why would people be talking of domestic punishments for City if there weren't similar rules here?

I don't like the way City have bought their success but there's no doubt that FFP maintains the status quo - The top clubs now will always remain the top clubs and there will never be a chance of that changing.

Bumps likes this.
  10. saintKlopp

I admit it must seem that way from your side of that particular fence, but I think it's a lot more complex an issue than mere protectionism. The problem isn't with FFP, but that it came too late to prevent the sugar-daddies making their move.
    There's nothing in the rules to prevent clubs breaking into the cartel through legitimate footballing means, though obviously that is a mammoth task.
    I'm sure their fans will vehemently disagree, but imo what happened at Chelsea and City should never have been allowed to happen. Allowing others to do the same isn't a solution. Who really wants football clubs, with all their history within a community, to be a billionaire's plaything?
    However, none of this is relevant to the situation at City now. They're not being punished for what they did before the rules were introduced, but for breaking them once they were.

johnsonsbaby and Libby like this.

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

I wasn't neccesarily offering an opinion on it as such and agree with what you say re City and Chelsea, would never want something like that at Saints regardless of any success that comes it.

Just saying that it's a fact that it maintains the status quo. You say a mammoth task but I'd say it's almost impossible.

Let's use us an example, you often hear fans of other clubs say that our board showed no ambition and we could be challenging top 4 regularly had they kept all of our players.

Well the fact is, there's no way we could have offered the same money to said players as the big boys once they were interested.

And let's say we did do that and had two top 4 finishes, you can guarantee that the same people would be moaning about how unfair it is that little old Southampton could spend all that money.

Agree on your last point.

saintKlopp likes this.
  12. astro

astro Well-Known Member

The ban is fake drama. In the next week City will submit their appeal to CAS, and the ban will be suspended until next year pending the outcome.

5th place will not play CL next year.

Everyone knows it but the media push the "fight for 5th place" just for clickbait.

13. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Get off the ****ing fence, Astro lad <laugh>

Bumps and Zanjinho like this.
  14. saintKlopp

LFC fans are as aware as anybody of the situation with Saints, seeing as we're the ones who have nicked most of your players. :)
    But it still happens to us at our level, and even though we're arguably at the pinnacle atm, there's still talk of players leaving.
    I agree, there's no way you can keep your players when the bigger boys come calling, but it was always thus - at least ever since the big money came into the game, and the disparities grew.
    However, if the only way to break that is to be bought out by an oilygarch, I'm glad that you don't want that. I argued the same on here when some maintained that the only way we'd compete with the likes of City would be to go down the same route.
    We've managed to climb the mountain. Obviously we started from a higher base camp than you, but that is historical - Liverpool haven't finished lower than 8th since 1962 so there was a solid platform on which to build.
    I realise it must be frustrating for fans of clubs like yours - you fought your way back from the lower leagues only to bang your heads on the glass ceiling, but you can only keep going. Dyed-in-the-wool fans like you support your team no matter what anyway.

Just to clarify my earlier point, I'm not against foreign owners or investment - we've all experienced that. It's just the vast amounts of money from outside sources - that haven't been earned through football-related means - that I think is unfair.

15. saintKlopp

Anyway @Libby - we've given you a ****load of money and Danny Ings, so stop moaning. :)

16. Libby

Libby 9-0

You seen where we've spent the majority of that money? We've got about 70 million and dread to think how much in wages out on loan <laugh><doh>

Ings makes up for Mane I suppose, as he's one of us. Still owe us for Virgil though...

Bumps likes this.
  17. saintKlopp

Anyway, I take it you're happier than when we spoke several weeks ago? You were afraid of the drop then.
    Danny's done really well and I'm pleased for him. I didn't want him to go, but he deserves more game time than we could have given him.

18. Libby

Libby 9-0

I'd rather go down if I'm completely honest but it's nice seeing a local lad bang the goals in. Was nice to see you lot give him a good reception couple of weeks back too.

Very little chance of that anyway, be interesting to see if we can shift a few this Summer so Ralph can get a midfielder and defender of his own.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  19. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Fifth could yet be in the CL regardless of Man City being banned or not...

20. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

As far as I can work out the PL has club finance rules that basically say wages, transfer fees and taxes have to be paid on time, agents fees must be disclosed and club accounts handed over for inspection once a year.

They added a STCC (short term cost control) element a few years ago which limits what clubs can pay annually in wages to a stated amount - last year was £81m - anything over that has to be paid by monies the club has earned and not been gifted like the tv money for instance. This is for the club's own protection so that they have a sustainable model and aren't living above their means. In this respect it's similar to FFP but it is only concerned with wages.

The domestic punishment, I believe, would be the PL saying to city - if you've broken UEFA rules then that doesn't stand in isolation but has impacted on your league position and standing and therefore you've also cheated the rest of the league out of their true positions.

As far as FFP maintaining the status quo, it's probably me being a big dim but I still don't get it. I can follow the exchange between you and saint perfectly well. I see his take on it and yours and I agree with you both up until FFP keeping the big teams where they are. Whh do you think that and what do you think could change that?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020