1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Premier League 2016/17 fixtures

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by tomw24, Jun 13, 2016.

1. BassettSaint

BassettSaint Active Member

Obviously not a memorable game but we finished at Man City in 2015.

KillerCephalopod likes this.
  2. Libby

Libby 9-0

Oh yeah of course! For some reason thought this was going to be our 4th PL season but it's the 5th.

3. KillerCephalopod

KillerCephalopod Active Member

2014\15 we finished away to City (season after United, before Palace):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014–15_Southampton_F.C._season

4. BassettSaint

Let's just forget all the games we don't win hey :1980_boogie_down:

KillerCephalopod and Libby like this.
  5. KillerCephalopod

KillerCephalopod Active Member

Using my predictor, I get 11pts from the first 6 matches - am I being wildly over optimistic?!

Also, does anyone know if the club has said when pre-season fixtures are being released?

6. latviandream

latviandream Well-Known Member

Anyone else seen that Leicester play at home the weekend after all 6 of their champions league group games? They've got some luck running for them.

KillerCephalopod likes this.
  7. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure that is the best way round to have it. More likely to turn PL games they should win into draws.

st_brendy likes this.
  8. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Where do you think Leicester will finish next season? I think they will do well to finish about 5-8th. They may prove people wrong again, but I think they will suffer from teams being more wary of them and the pressure of the Champions' League.

9. thebronze14

thebronze14 Well-Known Member

I move over to Manchester the week we play United away!Sadly seeing as it's first away game tickets will be hard to come by

10. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I dunno, it will probably be selected for TV coverage so you may have a shot.

11. thebronze14

thebronze14 Well-Known Member

Yeah more chance if its moved to Sunday...I was at it last two years so I'm a good omen so if ye want to chip together to get me a ticket to keep the good vibes going feel free!

12. BassettSaint

I'm thinking of going but won't be able to make it if moved to the Sunday. So if you need a ticket, do ask! No freebies mind :emoticon-0164-cash:

13. latviandream

It's definitely better because of the decreased travel over a short period of time Qwerty. Travel is bad, and being able to play at home after your European away nights definitely an advantage for 3 of those fixtures.

If one had to travel to Europe in the midweek before playing away in say the North, the logistics are horrible for preparation and turnaround time between the two fixtures.

Qwerty likes this.
  14. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't think Qwerty is disagreeing that playing a home PL game after an European game is easier than playing an away PL game.

His point, I think, is more that Leicester will be looking at their home PL games for points more than their away PL games. Suddenly a home game against, say, WBA doesn't look quite as nice as it previously did without the European game. And if Leicester start dropping points at home...

I'd much rather be playing away to Chelsea after a European game, than home to Stoke.

Qwerty likes this.
  15. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

Unless we just flew back straight to the North?

16. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

May cut travelling, but not ideal for players. Training in unfamiliar surroundings, strange beds etc....unless we still take our mattresses with us<laugh>

latviandream likes this.
  17. latviandream

We'll have to agree to disagree Brendy. I'll post some stats in the next few days to prove that the loss of points is greater if you play away following Europe rather than at home (obviously by comparing to respective home and away fixtures where there was no prior European fixture).

Qwerty likes this.
  18. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Again though, I'm not disagreeing.

It's not the loss of points post European matches per se. It's the impact. Regardless of whether us or Leicester are in Europe during the week, you'd still generally expect a tough away game ahead of you. You might draw or lose it anyway. But at home, you are generally looking to win. How many of our fans or Leicester fans would be happy at a home draw to Stoke or WBA? Not to mention the staff and players.

Leicester shouldn't want, we shouldn't want, European games having an impact on home PL games. There are so many teams on an even-ish level in the PL, that winning those home games is vital. Let them affect your away games, where you may well have failed to win anyway.

Qwerty likes this.
  19. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Er 7-0 please. Don't want him looking quite as good as us :)

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  20. latviandream

Sorry Brendy, it literally is about the loss of points because that's what all teams in the premier league play for.

Let's say that all the English teams in Europe over the last 10 years averaged say 2.3 points a game when playing at home if there was no European game prior, but only 2.1 points a game if it was after Europe, the cost for that fixture is 0.2 points.

Now, if the same English teams in Europe averaged 1.6 points a game when playing away with no prior European game, but only 1.2 points a game if it was after Europe, the cost for that fixture is 0.4 points.

Please note these are example figures to prove my point of how it is easily measured. The proof however, will come when I get the real data together later in the week. <cheers>

Qwerty likes this.