1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Predict this season's Goals For total

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by JM Fan, Sep 26, 2018.

?

Predict our ‘GF’ total this season

1. 50-55

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 56-59

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. 60-65

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. 66-69

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. 70-75

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. 76-79

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. > 80

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

OK, so last season we ended up with a ‘GF’ column of 49!!!
    Whilst they’re not exactly flying in, I’m confident that we’ll EASILY surpass that meagre total and as was mentioned on another thread, one team coming to CR could end up suffering a ‘Reading’.

Choose how many goals we’ll score in the Championship ONLY.

2. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I arrived at 69. 1.5goals per game. I just don't think the football we play will ever have the urgency to surpass that sort of number. We seem to liurch from porous at the back but a greater threat to miserly at the back but unlikely to score more than 1. I see the 1.5 average as slightly optomistic for that reason, because our best periods points wise have been during periods of low scoring for us and the oppo. Pissing around at the back being OK to try to control and slow a game down, but rubbish for "we're gonna score one more than you".

Bah!

edit: Also the 13 scored from 9 played is also inline with my theory/guess

JM Fan likes this.
  3. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

I basically went with the same theory as you General, so arrived at the same total.

4. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

5. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

I like the accurate, long passes coming from our midfielders. We have two in form strikers and exciting wingers, and Jamal is getting forward so I'm going with 76.

JM Fan likes this.
  6. General Melchett

So we have moved on to 12 games played and only a measily 15 scored. On target for a some what uninspiring 58. I know this number will fluctuate over the course of the season, especially in this first 1/3 of the season, but I see nothing so far that sways me from my belief that a Farke team will ever be prolific. Will I care though if we 1-0 our way to the PL? No, but ultimately which ever division you play in, you want to see and celebrate goals, so long term I hope Farke cracks it.
    For now I'll stay optimistic and stick with my 66-69 guess, but I feel like falling short is wholey more likely than exceeding that range.

edit. Interesting to note that to finish in the playoffs last season the minimum goals per game came from Boro at 1.45. The worst GD was +22. As a side we look a long way from that!
    To be fair though the preceding season Huddesfield made the playoffs with an astoundingly low 1.22 and -2 GD! (below our current form, so maybe hope springs!), that season the Wendies also were top 6 with only 1.30.
    Currently 11 teams boast a better goal difference to us and 10 a better goals for. We don't half look mid-table!

Bah!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    oldcanariesfan and JM Fan like this.
  7. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

3 of those were against the Baggies GM so we are tagging along at almost a goal a game if you don't account for the WBA game.

I'd like to see Rhodes recalled with Pukki playing just off of him - that would offer more of an attacking threat imho ....

JM Fan likes this.
  8. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Ok, so we’ve now played 17 games and have scored 25 goals at an average of 1.65 (rounded to 2 decimal places!!), so gives a potential target of 75 (again rounded to 2 decimal places!!).
    I’m sticking by my prediction of >80.
    Anyone else want to change- especially with Pukki and JR seeming to find the back of the net quite regularly. :emoticon-0102-bigsm

9. General Melchett

In fairness, who could have seen this rich vein of form coming? I'm still not convinced we will see >80. I think Farke will be pretty unhappy with the 3 conceded vs Millwall and want to tighten things up a little. Between that and the fact that the secrets out and I can see more and more sides adopting negative and spoiling game plans I think my original prediction maybe low but the current 1.65 rate is somewhat inflated by the last two games (By the way, you seem to have the average right, just not the numbers, we have scored 28 in 17 for 1.65, not 25).
    Maybe we have cracked it and several goals a game is to become our new norm, but I still doubt it. So I'll stick to 69 for now though I suspect now it will be higher, I thought 69 was optimistic before, it is now pessimistic. But Before these last two high scoring games our average was still only 1.33 with 20 from 15.

Bah!

JM Fan likes this.
  10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I can't argue with any of your post General and whilst teams may well adopt 'spiling' tactics, especially away from home; I feel we have enough skill/guile/patience in the team to be able to overcome the majority of teams and our remaining games this month will be an excellent barometer in that respect. WE still have TC to return and GH should be back for our next 2 games.
    Edit - I'm sure DF would have given the defence the 'hairdryer treatment' after conceding 2 sloppy goals and that's the first time we've conceded more than 1 goal in the Championship since our defeat by Leeds.

11. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

After the exploits of last season, Farke and his approach were questioned. Last season, Norwich scored 49 goals in 46 games, so far this season, they have 38. 18 of those have arrived in the last 6 games, coming from 9 different goal scorers.
    #justsaying

12. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Canary Spring likes this.
  13. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

14. General Melchett

Yup, 80+ gotta be. 2 per game average doesn't even feel ambitious the way things are going and that comfortably beats the 80.

Bah!

JM Fan likes this.
  15. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Bump.

16. Canary Spring

31 league games played. 60 goals scored and 60 points.

17. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

So, on Sep 26th, I predicted >80 and I should have had a bet at the bookies!!!

18. Canary Spring

Nah JM, if you're anything like me that would have just jinxed everything. :emoticon-0142-happy

We should be 62 and 62. Farke needs to sort it out. :emoticon-0105-wink:

JM Fan likes this.
  19. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

City are now not only the Championship’s leaders and leading scores (68); they have considerably more goals from open play (58) than any other side, and more attempts on target (188). But then, Farke would tell you it was converting the chances last season that was the problem.
    #timetochangeyourvote

20. General Melchett

Incredible really. Never saw all this coming from both last seasons and early this seasons efforts, but credit to Webber, the team and Farke. This team is something special.

Bah!