1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pre season

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by old timer, Jul 15, 2018.

1. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Has Widdrington senior got a LB 2 CHs and RB in his little book 4-0 down does not bode well

city in the quay likes this.
  2. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Defending's something for the whole team to work on. Harrison was very good defensively. It's going to be a long season.

Gasheadseamge79 and old timer like this.
  3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Farce. I know its just a friendly but Nichols was put of his depth. Although he really didn't get much service either. I wasn't sure on DC choosing to have less 1st team friendlies due to match fitness issues and wouldn't allow new players gelling together and partnerships to form. And my fears looked justified. We looked way off the pace throughout the game. I don't think we will see the best out of our team fitness wise until 5/6 games played. During these games, our team will be doing a lot of running because we have either no striker or a just play a **** striker, who couldn't finish his breakfast let alone an easy chance, the ball will just keep coming at us. Long season ahead is an understatement. DC has known about needing 2 strikers all summer. Why do we not have them? We just sold Harrison, so where is that money gone? Why is DC now after yesterdays game suggest we may not get anyone in who is actually experienced or decent? If the club won't support DC with needed strikers who know what they are doing, then I can see him going.

GreatWesternGas and old timer like this.
  4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

DC's interview.... Not a good one. He looks and sounds fed up with life!

5. GreatWesternGas

GreatWesternGas Well-Known Member

I hate how for the first half of the summer, I was feeling really optimistic about the new season, but as we get closer to kick off, that feeling has got less and less, and now I can see a long, hard struggle unless something dramatic suddenly occurs. Hard to see where our goals are going to come from now, and it doesn't matter how well or poorly the defence plays, as we all know, if you don't score goals, you don't win games! Hope I'm being overly pessimistic and Reilly turns out to be a revelation up front. Fingers crossed for a good start to kick start our season cos I don't fancy playing catch up all season.

Quilllogic likes this.
  6. old timer

I think if they give Reilly some decent service then he will get goals From the comments made by DC in his interviews I think that Christian Doidge and Devante Cole are non starters. It sounds more like players like Mensah who haven't played at this level and will need to be brought on, unless there are more Reilly's in Scotland as they seem to pay less than we do

7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

We could play brilliant and be strong at the back and not concede any goals. But if we cant score them then we will get relegated. 46 games of 0-0 draws wont give enough points for survival.

old timer likes this.
  8. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Looks as if Mensah and Reilly could be our strikers if the new signings don't appear by the end of the week. Based on last season, I reckon DC should concentrate on the defensive side so that we start the season with a few more clean sheets. We look poor from set pieces and the old problems with the centre backs playing too far apart are back again. It's always good to start the season with a really fit group, so if they're still off the pace that's a worry.

9. old timer

Does any one know who scored for the development team on Saturday against AFC Totton.

Matt Macey signed on a season long loan for Plymouth today

10. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

No idea. I tried finding out myself and cant see it anywhere. Twitter said 1-1 then 2-1 but didnt say who scored.

old timer likes this.

11. old timer

Thanks for that CJS

Just rang the club shop and spoke to very helpful gentleman and he will put a message through to somebody who might be able to help and ask them to put it on the clubs web site or on the twitter feed so hope fully we will find out who the scorers were

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  12. old timer

Bodin ruled out for 6 months with a knee injury sustained in training

13. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Ouch. I was hoping he will score 2 hat tricks against City this season. Oh well, it will have to be Ellis now! ;)

14. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

I seem to remember him having a knee issue when he first joined us, he got over that one so let's hope this set back will be no different.

15. old timer

I wish Bodin well and I hope that the 6 months is an over estimate

16. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Likewise, as with the apparent perilous financial situation of our club 'Sell On' clauses must be considered !

17. old timer

In the telegraph today they covered the championship teams giving details of their transfers in / out. Harrison was rated as the Ipswich stand out player