1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pre-Season Testing 2021

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

TopClass likes this.
  2. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Red Bull look to have the best car, but there's too much scarring from the last 7 seasons (and 2019 in particular) for me to believe it won't just be an easy Mercedes win again.

This year would be the most surprising time for the dominance to end as well given they're only allowed limited changes to the 2020 chassis.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  3. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Over the last few years Red Bull seem slow at the beginning of the season and improve as they go on. So it might be that as they are using the 2020 chassis it's almost given them a head start. So hopefully they will come out of the garage fast at the start of the season and able to make some decent points at the first few races putting Merc under pressure that they have not experienced before?
    I'm hoping that as development has been somewhat limited all the teams built on their known chassis using their tokens where they had most deficiencies (McLaren excluded)?
    Maybe it's wishful thinking but there is a slight chance we could see some different teams/drivers on the podium this year? Well I can hope :)

Justjazz likes this.
  4. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

I wasn't able to follow testing closely, so can only go by what I have read, but it does appear as though the Merc may have lost out more when it comes to the floor changes and struggling with handling compared to some of the competition. If that's the case then it could really hurt them. But who knows if they'll get on top of that before we really get going. Could be an interesting start for them.

Not long to wait to find out.

Number 1 Jasper and ched999uk like this.
  5. Viva_Giggsy

Viva_Giggsy Well-Known Member

Be nice if the Mercedes isn't the fastest by a country mile for the first time since 2013. Ferrari had a couple of seasons where they look close at the start of the season but were miles off by the end. Plus Mercedes need a proper driver in the second seat not Hamilton lapdog.

6. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

I'd personally be amazed if George Russell is not at Mercedes next year, whether that's partnering Hamilton or Verstappen.

Mercedes are not usually a country mile ahead for a whole season, usually Ferrari might challenge them at the start and Red Bull by the end, the problem is neither of them is consistent enough to sustain the challenge for a whole season. If Red Bull are as strong as they look from the outset it will make things very interesting.

7. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Even if RBR come out if the blocks first, we'll still need to see if Max has the maturity to bring home a title. He's prone to errors which might just be his undoing.

Have high hopes for a good, competitive season... Hope they're not dashed in two weeks time. :)

8. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Yes, I will be fascinated to see how he responds to the pressure of a title run when the opportunity comes.

9. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

It wouldn't surprise me if Perez didn't actually do better than Max if he's allowed. He is great at managing his tyres and seems to stay quite cool. I imagine the difference in treatment he received at Racing Point will stand him in good stead at Red Bull. I certainly think he will be picking up points should Max have an iffy drive from time to time. If the car is good and the PU lives up to their hopes I think Red Bull / Honda might have a good chance of the constructors championship not sure if Max can hold it together to get drivers.
    Then again if Merc sort out the rear or it's just high temps causing the issues might be another Merc year. While it would be nice for Lewis to get 8th WDC it would be nicer for him to have some decent competition.

Drive to Survive is released on Friday :)

10. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Perez on a B strategy in that Red Bull could throw up all sorts of angles! It’s the best driver move RBR have made for a decade in my view. Perez is unlikely to threaten Max much in quali but we know can maximise race results and play alternative strategies to perfection - he’s a great addition.

DHCanary, Justjazz and ched999uk like this.

11. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

We would expect that Mercedes did not look to make a statement, they haven't in the past pre season testing. They have lost their lead engine designer although I think he maybe providing consultancy. This may have impacted engine improvements this year when it seems Ferrari and Honda have made advances. I see that as a levelling up of the field more than any one manufacturer achieving a distinct advantage.
    That leaves the aero changes where Mclaren have perhaps stolen a march on the competition. Lewis's spin on (i think) day 2 to me almost looked deliberate but I will ignore that, I don't think Merc would play that game.
    Computer programming usually is capable of recording the aero effects so in the main it is Merc's need to understand what they have. I do think they are on the back foot. However, we can not under estimate them and I do believe they will solve some of their apparent issues in the next two weeks.
    I am excited at the prospect of Mclaren shining through in the first couple of races, I really hope they do.
    Not much talk about AM on here. Not an exciting test, almost like Merc, figuring out what they got to work with. I wonder where they will be in two weeks time.

zogean_king, SgtBhaji and ched999uk like this.
  12. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I'm hoping Alpine are the surprise package, I don't think anyone can copy what they've done this season.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  13. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Yes. Even I think this will be Bottas last year. Last year in F1 IMHO .

ched999uk likes this.
  14. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

I am going to predict that George Russell is going to beat Lance Stroll in several races this year. Give George half a car and he will deliver above its capability IMHO.

: 2021 testing