1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Pre-season Matches

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by daverangers, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Just back.

Context is that Watford are a bunch of big lads but with some skill too to be fair. Not sure how they'll fair next season but that's not our concern.

We started well. There was some good passing - that alone is an improvement on what we were being served last season - and even occasional link up play.

Really liked BOS on the right. Threatened every time he was given the ball. He's not huge but is strong with low centre of gravity and holds the ball well. We hit the inside of the post very early on (think it was BOS) and that was encouraging too. BOS called for the through ball a few times when in space and was ignored. An error in my view in light of my comments just now about him.

Defence was solid. No major errors but a few wayward passes. Looked composed and comfortable on the ball. Ball is indeed a good addition.

Mlakar keen and put himself about but on this showing did not pull up trees. Early days so no conclusion at all.

Lumley did well and could not be held to account for the deflection. Replaced by Kelly who made a good close range, reflex save. Not enough showing to reach any conclusions at all. One short pass that led to a scare near the box but sorted eventually.

We played with more energy and more skill than when I last watched QPR.

The new Matt Smith is a bit like Scowen. Dogged and determined. Not sure if he's any better yet. Time will tell.

Eze definitely improved from where he was at at the end of last season. More energy and looks hungry.

BFG came on and did well with good defending and a couple of pin point passes. Actually a lot of the longer passes from defence were very good.

Negatives?

Nearly is not good enough. I don't want to be leaving games thinking how many we MIGHT have scored but rather how many we did. New strikers on way in so hope for change there.

We kept doing the same thing so previous caution about MW not having plan B MIGHT be true though why show all your aces in pre-season?

Our two or three corners all taken short. Does my head in. Just get the bloomin thing in the box!

When we played Swans that first home game after many new signings in the PL, I think the term Queens Park Strangers was used if not coined then. None of that today. A good team emerging and with a more potent strike force which is on the way, we will be fine next season.

In fact, dare I say, I think MW has been tasked to gain promotion. Not this season but perhaps the next or the one after that at latest.

I have no clue how this all squares with FFP but I'm very glad I renewed and looking forward to next season with some excitement at actually being entertained again.

COYRss!

2. Rangers Til I Die

Sorry. Forgot to mention Amos. He's the real deal. Reminds me of Andros Townsend. Lots of energy and not a small amount of skill. A very good addition.

Ninj, bobmid, Steelmonkey and 4 others like this.
  3. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Nice summary rtid, sounds promising and better than I anticipated.

Ninj and QPRski like this.
  4. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

We won't be facing Ryan Shawcross next week, he was strechered off with a serious leg injury in a 2-1 home defeat to Leicester.

5. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Despite losing 0-1, it seems that there were many positives in the way we played.

Let’s hope that we further improve and play well nest week which will be the first real test.

rangercol likes this.
  6. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Sound really very promising!

7. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

RE: strikers settling in. There was an article on BBC that looked at how long it took players to settle in and strikers took the longest of all positions, something around 9-15 games (if I remember the detail right).
    So let’s hope that we can get our strikers doing the business a bit sharpish.
    It does sound like BOS and Manning we’re getting balls across - which will hopefully give them some good service.
    Plenty to do on the training ground between now and next Saturday.
    Loving the optimism RTID.

Rangers Til I Die and QPR999 like this.
  8. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Hopefully Manning won't start at left back if the bloke from Rangers, who's name I never remember, is fit.

9. Rangers Til I Die

Me too 9s.
    Only thing is, don't shoot the messenger when.....<laugh>

QPR999 likes this.
  10. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

I'm really looking forward to this season. A new team all bar a few and it will hopefully be refreshing to watch.

11. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Lee Wallace.....

kiwiqpr and rangercol like this.