1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pre-Season Games/Contracts/New Signings/News

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, May 11, 2016.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Lost 3-0 today vs CE Sabadell

Gaffney scored to put us 1 up but was offside. The home side scored just before half time and just after after half. Then their 3rd right at the end.

2. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

One of my mates was at the game and he said we were outclassed all over.

3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Now with 1 more game left of pre season, I will say I am concerned. I am concerned about out keeper options and the lack of defenders available due to injuries. I dont think we will be ready for Scunthorpe. I think it wont be until game 5 to game 8 where we will actually be ready. Any points we pick up in this period will be a bonus for me.

Gasheadseamge79 likes this.
  4. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

I agree Mildy and Puddy aren't feeling me with confidence at the moment IMO we still need at least 4 new players, we must strengthen the squad.

5. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Did I read somewhere that Sabadell were 3rd division Spanish league. We were promised signings last season that never materialised and I think if some quality isn't added soon we are going to be fighting a relegation battle which with the new silly league system they are bringing out could see us 2 divisions lower than we are now
    At least 2 G / K, C / B with a bit of pace and a creative M / F needed and if they can find a striker who can score goals that would be a bonus
    I'm also guessing that with DC and Hamer in Spain there will be no signings before the Cheltenham game

6. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Scunny have had a strong pre season and beat Rotherham the other day. Hopefully our strongest line up will be good enough to nick a point.

7. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Yeah Sabadell are in the 3rd tier a couple of seasons ago they were on the verge of La Liga.

Need another GK, CB and a MC IMO :emoticon-0148-yes:

8. old timer

According to the WDP Danny Leadbitter now injured and probably not available along with Tom Lockyer tomorrow

9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Will we be having any defenders fit for Scunny by any chance??

10. old timer

Yes McCrystal, Kilgour, Brown

11. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Fills me with confidence <ok>

12. old timer

I hope that was said tongue in cheek CJS
    Having said that if Alfie Kilgour gets a good central partner I think he would be ok and Brown is reliable

Would like to see kilgour , Greenslade Thomas and Broom and our up and coming players form the basis of the team for this new format cup competition then they might get some competitive football practice in a non must win situation

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  13. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Yep, tongue in cheek <ok>

3 defenders fit. Means 352 formation.

McChrystal is slow and for me shouldnt be 1st choice defender but a sub. Kilgour is untried and inexperienced. Brown is a LB not a CB and if played CB we then lose his attacking threat that he is so good with.

Im very worried about our line of defence and then add the worries with our keepers too <yikes>

old timer likes this.
  14. old timer

And I thought it was just me that was worried

15. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Goals from Harrison, Lines and Taylor wasn't at the game but sounds like we put in a good performance.

16. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Bristol Rovers 3-0 Cheltenham Town
    Attendance: 1,607 (104)

Rovers completed their pre-season campaign with a professional 3-0 win against Cheltenham Town at the Memorial Stadium.

Goals from Ellis Harrison, Chris Lines and Matty Taylor secured the win as Rovers move towards the start of the League One season.

Darrell Clarke's side started well in their final game of pre-season as Ellis Harrison picked out Matty Taylor on the edge of the penalty area but his shot was blocked well by Daniel O'Shaughnessy.

It wasn't long before Rovers took the lead as Ellis Harrison capitalised on a huge mistake from the visitors. Following a long ball up field Josh Lelan looked for Max O'Leary with his back headed but headed the ball over the advanced keeper and Harrison was on hand to fire the ball home into an empty net.

Taylor and Harrison looked bright in the first half as the pair linked up again but this time Matty Taylor was unable to pick out the run of an advancing Stuart Sinclair in the penalty area.

Moments later Rovers were attacking again, this time Ryan Broom got the better of his man on the right hand side before an inch perfect pull back found Ellis Harrison but this time the Rovers front man stabbed his shot just wide.

With just 15 minutes on the clock Cheltenham were almost gifted a goal of their own after Dan Holman rounded Will Puddy on the edge of the penalty area but made the angle difficult for himself and fired into the side netting.

Rovers continued to dominate proceedings with Ryan Broom causing Jordan Cranston a lot of trouble on the right flank with another fantastic pull back finding Liam Lawrence who fired over the crossbar.

The Gas doubled their lead with just over five minutes of the first half remaining. Matty Taylor and Ellis Harrison linked up well before the Welsh Under-21 International's shot was blocked well by Josh Lelan. However, Harrison didn't give up there, showing great strength he won the ball back instantly and was able to pick out substitute Chris Lines who had an easy finish at the far post.

Darrell Clarke made two substitutions at half time as Steve Mildenhall and Rory Gaffney took to the field replacing Will Puddy and Ellis Harrison but Rovers kept the 3-5-2 shape that worked very well in the first half.

Matty Taylor continued to look lively and was rewarded under 10 minutes into the second half. Tom Lockyer floated a perfect pass into the path of Taylor from a free kick and Taylor controlled the ball superbly before giving Max O'Leary no chance thumping the ball past him.

On the hour mark Darrell Clarke made seven changes as Mark McChrystal, Jake Gosling, Jermaine Easter, Danny Greenslade, Billy Bodin, Luke James and Alfie Kilgour all took to the field replacing Lee Brown, Tom Lockyer, Peter Hartley, Ollie Clarke, Matty Taylor, James Clarke and Stuart Sinclair.

The changes altered the tempo of the game and the visitors were able to get back into the game but Daniel O'Shaughnessy was denied at close range by Steve Mildenhall.

Time ticked by in what was a good performance for Rovers and Cheltenham grew into the game but shots from half time substitutes Amari Morgan-Smith and Dan Whitbread failed to force a save from Mildenhall.

Rovers looked in control of the game and could have had a fourth had it not been from a great save from Max O'Leary. Billy Bodin received the ball on the Rovers left, danced his way into the penalty area and pulled the ball back from Chris Lines but his low shot was well saved by the Bristol City keeper on trail at Cheltenham.

Up next for Rovers is the kick off the Sky Bet League One season on Saturday 6th August as Darrell Clarke's men travel to Glanford Park to take on Scunthorpe United before entertaining Championship side Cardiff City in the EFL Cup at the Mem on Thursday 11th August.

Rovers: Puddy (Mildenhall - 46); Broom, J. Clarke (Gosling - 60), Lockyer (Kilgour - 60), Hartley (McChrystal - 60), Brown (Greenslade - 60); O. Clarke (Gosling - 60), Lawrence (Lines - 33), Sinclair (Easter - 60); Harrison (Gaffney - 46), Taylor (James - 60).

Cheltenham: O'Leary; Bartthram (Storer - 46), Jennings, Pell (Rowe - 46), Wright, Hall, Cranston (Walters - 73), Dayton (Whitbread - 46), O'Shaughnessy, Lelan (Morgan-Smith - 46), Holman (Lymn - 79).

Unused Substitutes: Lovett (GK).

17. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Cooking on gas again...

18. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

19. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

20. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Lockyer, Hartley and J Clarke back too. Looking a little better for next weekend now.

Having said that, we're generally **** first game of the season!