1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pre season 17/18

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintlyhero, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

I normally do one a season.

Last years was a 4-0 away win <diva>

Let's not talk about the one before.

saintsfcfan likes this.
  2. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Libby likes this.
  3. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Anyone in attendance able to summarise today's match?

4. Le Saint

Le Saint Well-Known Member

<party>Just got back. Really encouraging. Stephens striding out of defence and picking good passes we can definitely do with. Gabby looked really sharp and so glad he got the goal as I think he will get them in consecutive game streaks. Think he will do the business against Swansea now. Surprised Charlie didn't get any minutes but did mean he couldn't get injured. Shows how you can't read much on to friendlies. Sevilla looked miles worse than the German side but I'm sure they will perform well in La Liga. Thought at times we could get bullied a bit in midfield with current set up and personnel. Just came away thinking we are light of another tough tackling centre mid. Will check up on the other threads to see if any news in that department....

5. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

Lemina I see pretty much done ;) sounds encouraging though!

6. Le Saint

Le Saint Well-Known Member

There was also something odd going on with a note passed on to the field from Austin. It made its way round most of the players. I caught a glance but all I could see was "Van Djik is a ****"

7. Libby

Libby 9-0

Cheers for that mate an interesting read <ok>

Le Saint likes this.
  8. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

Jack will be gone in 2 years... He is yarda ahead of Yoshida.

Le Saint likes this.
  9. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Swansea thread found, bumped, and stuck!

10. Brixham Saint

Brixham Saint Well-Known Member

Much better today. Romeu back to his normal self today. Thought Cedric was good and Stephens is really turning into a top prospect. Gabbiadini worked his socks of up front. Looks like we are breaking a lot quicker and trying to get the ball forward quickly. Lots of interchange between front players which looks good. Think the potential new signing from Juve will give us a lot more protection in front of back 4, where I feel we still need a starting CB to go with Stephens.

11. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

MP2 certainly not getting carried away

12. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

And he shouldn't. We needed the result, but remember we lost badly a few days ago. He obviously feels they are trying, but still not doing everything that he wants. And as he says, a few have only been back for a short time. I'd rather that he saw room for improvement after a win than said that was as good as it gets....we have a whole season to get through.

13. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

Sevilla are good but they're not German are they?

14. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Yeah I saw that too, sat as I was just above where the subs were warming up on the touchline. I wonder what that was all about in a friendly!?

15. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Neither are Swansea, to be fair.

16. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

I was there and I can say that is was a lot better than Wednesday, Sevilla are very good team and kept possession well, they had chances from our defensive errors, but were unlucky/wayward with their finishing. Jack Stephens has come on a bundle, he looks stronger, more confident and a couple of surging runs had the Sevilla defence in tatters, His second "goal" should have stood in my opinion, he may have been in an off side position but I am convinced the ball came to him off of a Sevilla defenders backside, the linesman didn't signal and it was Moss that made the decision. FF worked hard for his clean sheet. with Cedric and Bertie we looked like we had a defence. Maya got his ricket in early and was doing all right until a Sevilla forward slam dunked him. Shane Long was given offside as usual but wasn't, the lino was guessing as he wasn't in line with play. Gabbi didn't get a lot of service but was lethal when the chance came. Redmond and Bertie took worrying knocks which may be a problem. Young Flannigan came on for Cedric and nearly scored and didn't look out of place. Tadic was his usual curates egg performance, I am sure he can do better. Pell was very animated, made more gestures and instructions in one game than Puel did all last season. Sophie is starting to buzz too. No bad performances from anyone in my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  17. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

I came home and watched SSN waiting for a report, they haven't even given out the score yet?
    They are just featuring it now, Mario Lemina? SSN says medical on Monday.
    Somehow I completely missed the Saint Mario thread I am sure it wasn't there earlier!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  18. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Yes slightly concerning given our lack of CBs that Yoshi went off after that heavy challenge. It didn't look like he was badly injured, just a knock, hopefully he'll be fine for Saturday! Much improved energy from the team compared to Wednesday. Still too many careless mistakes but I think that's just match sharpness. Also, I still don't get the impression that Bertrands heart is really in it, he looked like the Bertrand of the second half of last season again to me.
    Overall a good run out and nice to get the win ahead of the season opener.

19. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Cedric was pretty much MOTM for me - amazing performance for the one last back from holiday! I thought most played pretty well today though Redmond and particularly Bertrand I thought had poor games. A couple of dodgy moments from Maya early on but he settled. Good kicking from Forster #44 who is definitely an upgrade on Forster #1. Nice cameo appearances from Flanagan and especially Bednarek who will forge a good partnership with Stephens by the end of the season (Maya and VVD as back ups ain't a bad option....). If I was to be critical it would be that once we scored we sat back and went very defensive through till half time. Sevilla were a good side and broke much quicker than us (the only part of your post I would question). They were very physical and we seemed a bit intimidated by that at times. We still look poor defensively but that is a criticism of the midfielders more than the back four and keeper

SaintKit likes this.
  20. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

Does anyone know was this Sevilla's first team? I know they're playing another friendly against Everton tomorrow