1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pre-Plymouth ramble ...

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Sep 3, 2024.

1. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

I always hope things will work out but I'm no witless rose tinted mug, I know the reality ...

... and the reality, at the moment, is that we're beating teams on merit by being better than them.

Yes, something special is happening and that's quite rare.

2. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

i reckon it will be 5 from 5 next week, then beat the Boro and this will sensational, the new lads will make a difference as well.

Smug in Boots likes this.
  3. Yorkie

Yorkie Well-Known Member

Maybe RLB will just put a rota up.

4. Dunder Mifflin

Dunder Mifflin Well-Known Member

I honestly think we’ll go there and win 2 or 3-0, they won’t be able to cope with our movement and press.

5. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

We’ve been ahead at HT in all 4 wins so far

I think I’ll be backing us HT-FT at Plymouth!

Montysoptician and Smug in Boots like this.
  6. TeamOfTalents

TeamOfTalents Well-Known Member

Got to be confident for Plymouth, having said that going there and losing would be peak championship <laugh>

7. Smug in Boots

I've just booked flights to Plymouth and decided to hire a car rather than arse about with buses and trains.

I'll possibly stay at Weston super Mare on the Friday, drive in on Saturday and back to the airport on Sunday.

If anyone needs a lift from the airport, Temple Meads, or whatever let me know.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2024
    LAMackem, ab65, smithy in nl and 3 others like this.
  8. Smug in Boots

From a friend ....

Anyone travelling by train from the North East on the Saturday morning and travelling on the 04:23 from Newcastle I'd suggest booking advance single tickets from Newcastle to Doncaster, Doncaster to Grantham and Grantham to Plymouth. Grantham to Plymouth without a railcard is £35.50, however, Kings Cross to Plymouth is £69.50.

On the Friday we've booked Newcastle to London Kings Cross and Grantham to Plymouth as it works out cheaper, even though we won't be travelling on the Grantham to Kings Cross portion of the ticket.

TonyG, LAMackem and Robertson like this.
  9. Row 3

Row 3 Well-Known Member

Christ yes I was there. Supporters club coaches left the town at midnight on the Friday which was not a bonny picture. We all slept at least but it was a bit messy :emoticon-0138-think <laugh>

10. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Nah, I want us to win the championship with record points. :emoticon-0148-yes: <laugh>
    I'd rather us go up than miss out. Even if we came back down.
    I think that would be better experience than another year.
    Nah maybe not , we smashed it the next season after losing the play offs to Charlton. <laugh>

Hmmmm ????

Nar, he who dares wins. Let's get promoted <laugh>

I've let Sunny me cat mascot out today.
    My lad doesn't want me to, reckons we're great when he's here and shìte when he's not.
    He's been in the garden an hour and fingers crossed he stays.

If he fooks off and we lose to Plymouth I'll never live it down <laugh><laugh><laugh>

IMG-20240906-WA0010.jpeg

11. Smug in Boots

I've noticed there's a bit of a theme developing regarding away tickets.

So I'll give my opinion on the subject.

The ticket aspect of the Plymouth trip is relatively insignificant compared to the cost of travel, accomodation, sustenance, etc. That's often the case and I'd guess the 'add ons' are around £2/250 and the ticket only 10% of that.

What often happens is that SC holders will order a ticket automatically, to guarantee entry, then start the process of 'time off', trains, planes & automobiles, hotel availability and cost. If the travel and accomodation can't be cobbled together it means the ticket is now available. Sometimes it's simply not used but sometimes it's sold. (As we only have around 1600, for this game, it was always going to sell out.)

It's being made to sound a little sinister as if supporters buy endless tickets they'll never use. That's nonsense, the whole reason people have SCs is that they like going to watch Sunderland. Of course it's sad that not every supporter will see the games they want to go to but it's also true that some of them don't want to put in the hard miles and only want to go to the likes of Boro, Leeds and Hull.

And that's my opinion ...

... please note, other opinions are available <laugh>

please log in to view this image

Last edited: Sep 8, 2024
  12. Porterfield73

Porterfield73 Well-Known Member

there's also those who buy them purely for the loyalty point, then sell on the tkt for the less attractive games.

Smug in Boots and Oliver's Army like this.
  13. Smug in Boots

They buy a ticket they're entitled to because of the history of their support.

Many of them bought tickets for away games, in the second half of last season, that no one wanted.

If they didn't manage to go they couldn't give them away.

Surely they're more entitled to tickets now, than people who didn't bother last season when they had the chance.

TonyG, Hudson92 and dennylad like this.
  14. Cjg5x

Cjg5x Well-Known Member

It’s been coming for years with Everton, it’s a shame because I like them but thinking back to when we where in that position when we would hit a run of form at the end of the season and stay up by the skin of our teeth we where completely dismissing the deeper rot within the club.

it’s been a tough few years for us and I’m of belief that in football we should enjoy the highs as you never know how long they’ll last so while we aren’t in the premier league I’m going to absolutely enjoy what we’ve got right now. A clear identity, a plan, players that are coming here because they know it’s a good place to develop, a youth academy that was absolutely culled during the Stewart Donald era to be absolutely thriving now with a clear pathway for those coming through & more importantly we have a wage structure so hopefully we won’t end up in the mess we did when we where last in the top division.

if I’m being completely honest I of course want us to go up, because that’s ultimately what we should be aiming for but seeing us performing the way we are and playing the expressive football we can is not what we would see next season (if we go up) because the premier league is getting so much harder to stay in when your a newly promoted team.

so for now, I’m not going to think that far ahead and just enjoy what we are doing in the current moment.

Definitely don’t see this as a flash in the pan mind, I think we’ve really got the squad and experience to really give it a good go this year, will hit a dip of form somewhere along the line but it’s about how quickly you can turn that back around but haven’t been overly impressed by the other clubs you’d expect to be up there.

15. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

Fully expecting to get something out this game. Hoping the likes of Ballard, Hume come through this week unscathed. What’s impressed me about the games so far is the level of performance and the high press. If and it’s a big if we can keep this up for most of the season then we are knocking on the door for the automatic promo places. The squad seems a lot stronger although we can tweak again in January. The longer we can keep this momentum going it gives the younger ones an air of invincibility although they will need reminding we are Sunderland and it can go t*ts up at any minute…lol. Very impressed with our club at the moment. Another 3 - 1 to the lads. Mundle, Mayenda and Isodor HTL!!!