1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Prague

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Uber_Hoop, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

I’m taking my witzelsucht to the poor unsuspecting folk of the good city of Prague on Friday for no reason other than it seemed like a good venue for a piss up with a couple of old chums. Returning Monday.

Having never been before, could others please recommend sites to see, watering holes to frequent, cultural things to philistine, debauched venues to lower the bar in, or simply good places or women to eat?

Anything gratefully received.

Thanks.

igor60 likes this.
  2. igor60

igor60 Well-Known Member

Prague is great place to visit. I have been there once two yrs ago and im going to there again in january. Firt thing first the beer is cheap and good in prague . There is enough pubs and bars to avoid the dehydration. Fod is cheap too. Old town is a must. Plenty of places to go and have fun.

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  3. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

Head to the main square 100 places to eat and drink, very beautiful architecturally 1/2 a mile in any direction and you are in an ex communist ****hole, great main square though

kiwiqpr and Uber_Hoop like this.
  4. Lawrence Jacoby

Lawrence Jacoby Well-Known Member

Ah the capital of Cornwall
    Best avoided during the festival of the Cakey Shoe as it’s well known that the city cannot cope with the influx of the Carney

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  5. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

Not flying Ryanair I hope.

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  6. Uber_Hoop

Pint of what you’re drinking, please, Paul. :)

7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I’m off there for work in November, and have organised so that I get a half day and evening to explore. Please provide a full report with recommendations and precise directions. Thank you.

8. Uber_Hoop

Happy to, Stan, but it might be a travelogue version of Drunk History. :)

sb_73 likes this.
  9. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Avoid soulless hotel rooms

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  10. Lawrence Jacoby

Lawrence Jacoby Well-Known Member

I have also never been so I cannot offer anything at all. All I can do is post a load of rubbish on this forum.
    I wish you safe travels and hope you find adventure. I also hope that this trip gives you some wonderful memories to store as you continue your life

Uber_Hoop likes this.

11. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

I was there in 1975 Uber. Quite recent relatively! The golden buildings in the Centre were fabulous and are still there, I think.

My biggest memory was that the campsite in the center by the river was full, and we spent a long time driving around trying to find another shown on our poor map outside town. We eventually asked directions of a policeman in the center of a roundabout in the sticks. Equipped with an excellent military map he gave us precise directions. Relieved but puzzled by negative shaking of heads from locals sitting by the roundabout, off we drove. The directions lead us to a very heavily fortified prison with heavily armed soldiers outside! We swung a very sharp left back to Prague and a cheap hotel! Probably now a tent on a map means camping, but I'll stick to a hotel if I go again.

KooPeeArr, Uber_Hoop and kiwiqpr like this.
  12. Uber_Hoop

I’m delighted to report that I had a ****ing excelllent time. I flew out of Terminal 3 on Friday with a good mate of 35 years and met another good mate of 40 years, whom neither of us had seen for 25 years until that moment, at a bar at Prague airport, as he’d flown in from Birmingham. It was as if the years just fell away and we picked up where we’d left off after a brief quarter century catch-up report.

We didn’t bother doing much research, instead deciding to wing it. We booked to stay at the Metropole in the city centre, a basic establishment, but clean, modern and functional. Ideal location. The taxi driver taking us there from the airport must’ve been a getaway driver in a past life and drove like a ****ing nutter, conducting an hilarious running battle at three consecutive traffic lights with another motorist that he’d angered with a cut-in.

Each morning after breakfast we just headed to the Vitava and either crossed it and went left or right, or stayed this side and went left or right. We just walked and talked, stopped for coffee or beer, walked some more, laughed, then cut inwards and headed back to the city centre using instinct, growing traffic and luck.

Food excellent, beer great.

Wenceslas Square is spoiled by blokes trying to get you into **** bars every three steps or so. Ignore them, be polite or tell them the **** off - they can’t touch you.

Stay away from the main drag and there’s a shed load of decent bars and restaurants at decent prices. They like their pork knuckle, do the Czechs, but the usual array of other European fare is available.

Prague has a disproportionately high share of very beautiful women. Every few steps there was a stunner going by. I had a permanent hard on until the 37th glass of Czech lager kicked in.

Bloody loved it.

We’ve resolved to do this in a different European city every six months. Thinking Vienna next.

BTW I’m reliably informed that one can book oneself an erotic massage and a happy ending if that floats your boat, but wouldn’t know anything about that.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  13. durbar2003

Vienna boring, Budapest better, lots of others even better.

14. Uber_Hoop

Thanks. Thought about Budapest or Bucharest too. Was told that Vienna’s close proximity to Bratislava makes a double-ender a possibility (oo-er, missus).

PS even better for what?

Tramore Ranger likes this.
  15. durbar2003

Than what you enjoyed in Prague. My favourite for that sort of weekend is Berlin or Warsaw

16. Uber_Hoop

I’m not sure what you think I enjoyed in Prague, but ‘‘twas only drinking!

17. RoyalOakRanger

RoyalOakRanger Active Member

Check out the church where the assasins of Heydrich were holed up after they were given away. It is a true story and you can go into the crypt where they have details about what happened. A book was written about it HhHh they got made into a film, maybe called Andropoid, I think.

The castle is pretty good as is the Kafka museum.

Food, drink and nightlife pretty good too.

Have a great time.

sb_73 likes this.
  18. Uber_Hoop

Thanks...but you’re about a week too late!

19. RoyalOakRanger

RoyalOakRanger Active Member

I'll get me coat

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  20. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

HhHh is a brilliant book, about the process of writing the book as well as somehow maintaining the tension of the events even though the outcome is well known historical fact.