1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

POTS

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, May 28, 2018.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Suspect there could be divided opinion on Player of the Season this year. So, a starter for ten on the most likely candidates, in no particular order :

Alexandar Mitrovic - His hold up play and general presence up front suggests he was indeed, the missing link in the puzzle. And no questioning he has been 'on fire' with 12 goals and 1 assist in the 3 months since joining. Hard to believe he's only 23.

Tom Cairney - Casting aside a troublesome first half of the season with 'that injury' and West Ham speculation, he struck gold from January onwards. Few would doubt that his influence led to the amazing run of 23 games undefeated. And of course his goal on Saturday was priceless.

Tim Ream - What a transformation this season. Arguably our most consistent player and the highest number of clean sheets (18) in many a year can be credited in a large part to him. Composed and skilful in reading the game. Not many teams can claim their CB has the attributes of a No. 10.

Kevin McDonald - Leader of the pack. And very much the unsung hero - his protection of the back four and our midfield has been key in allowing others to 'shine'. But nonetheless often the provider. His concentration and desire to win in the last 20 minutes on Saturday sums him up perfectly - epitomised by his deflection of Grealish's shot. Although, the goal with his backside against Leeds could be enough to win the title.

Ryan Sessegnon - The only player to play in every League game this season (he came on as sub in 1). A total of 49, including the play offs. Add to that 4 Cup games. Top scorer with 16 goals and up there with 8 assists, including that absolute beauty on Saturday. And of course only 17 years of age (before the one game at the weekend).

Every bone in my body says Sessegnon. I know all the stuff about him not being a left back but even from there he was often 'in the right place at the right time'. Just uncanny how he reads the game. And regardless of anything, 16 goals in a season from a 17 year is simply phenomenal. But ... but, my head goes with Kevin McDonald. He's been at the core of everything that's made us tick and the inspiration.

2whitestripes likes this.
  2. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

It is difficult to dispel any of our key players to be fair but putting age etc. to one side I would say it must be Tim Ream. As said, so consistent, so calm, so reliable and if you consider the number of times his name is called out by our fans each game, that in itself reverberates around the whole team and confidence is gained. He has been so cool, I was surprised to see he was dancing at the end, I expected him to lean against the advertising boards with a beer in one hand and wave with the other.
    I'd not be adverse to anyone or everyone being player of the season to be honest, everyone has played their part and given their all.

My casting vote has absolutely nothing to do with the fact Mrs 2Whites had a chat with him after the Villa game in February and now calls him her mate .......... honest.

3. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

Kevin McDonald for me, doesn't get the plaudits that the rest do but his job in the team is just as important as the rest. No coincidence for me that our improvement in the last couple of seasons came after we got a proper midfield enforcer like McDonald, it was a problem position for us at one point but McDonald made it his own. The guy just leads by example and can help drag a performance out of those around him. Plus he's Scottish, so that counts double for me.

Cravingawin and Cottager58 like this.
  4. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

It's Reeeaaammmm for me.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

5. kunye

kunye Well-Known Member

Cairney,just edging it over Ream, but my gut feeling says if Mitro had not joined us
    l we could still be a championship side.

6. Cookie-6262

Cookie-6262 Well-Known Member

Easy one for me Reeeeeeeeam

7. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

For consistency and influence over the whole season, I'd have to go for Ream or KMac. Not sure how to separate them to be honest. If Mitro had been here all year, he might well have nicked it (and wrapped up automatic promotion by the end of March!)

8. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Pretty much this. Both McDonald & Ream stepped up this season and showed that they deserve their chance for Premier League football.

Sessegnon should be young player of the season (do we even give that award?). His performances were stunning from a 17 year old and his goals won us plenty of points, but I just lean more to the engine room of our team (Ream & KMac).

Addendum - A quick shout out for StefJo as well, who just seemed to get fitter as the season went on. His workrate and durability is insane.

9. Cottager58

So were his tackles :emoticon-0102-bigsm

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    2whitestripes and Captain Morgan like this.
  10. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

I can't split between Ream or McDonald. I need two votes.

I've noticed on some Vblogs Fredericks name coming up, but I'd be surprised.

23 undefeated was a team effort, so if there is a box 'The Whole Team' I'd tick that ;):D

Captain Morgan and Cottager58 like this.

11. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

That!

12. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

13. Cottager58

14. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

I went Ream, Sess, Mac. However I don't think it matters at this stage - it's top 5 going through to a straight up vote.

I'd expect the finalists to be Ream, Sess, Mac, Cairney & Mitro. Outside contenders could be Betts or Fredericks.

15. kunye

kunye Well-Known Member

\Can tsee Fred getting any votes, if the fans know he is on the move.

Fulham COYW and Cottager58 like this.
  16. Cottager58

17. Cottager58

Captain Morgan and 2whitestripes like this.
  18. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I voted McDonald in the end, but I think Ream is very worthy winner.