1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Posh v Town, is Lambert taking the P**S?

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, Feb 9, 2021.

1. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Either way, he had more money to spend than any other Ipswich manager has probably ever had to spend. I'm pretty sure the Walters sale was after he spent that and since then any of the sales we have made none of the money has gone on transfer fees apart from maybe abit with Hurst. ME has given more money for transfers to rookie managers than the more experienced ones.

I haven't been the biggest fan of any ME appointments but I'm pretty sure most of the them would've got us promoted had they inherited the squad Keane did with that financial backing.

fieldmarshall and Nuggets like this.
  2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

That’s definitely not true. We spent that amount of money alone on Hreidarsson.

The transfer market has inflated enormously so comparing figures from other eras is not that helpful. It’s obvious from the fees other clubs spend in the Championship that we have been massively underfunded in the Evans era.

I don’t think it’s even our transfer fee spending levels that are harming us, it’s spending the money we do spend on salaries for other club’s talent instead of investing in our own, which would generate transfer and prize money and TV revenue and merch and ticket sales. It’s a completely false economy for our club to be cut to the bone and relying on loans.

3. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Roy Keane definitely spent more money in transfer fees than any other manager in the Evans era, including more money than Mick spent over six seasons! That doesn’t account for money spent on wages or loan fees, which is harder to calculate, although Keane did bring in several players on loan who I imagine would cost a fair whack! Keane inherited a good squad, that underperformed in Magilton’s final season, but he added players that mostly failed to justify their transfer fees and struggled for any sort of consistency. This was partly bankrolled by selling off players - including a few highly rated youngsters like Rhodes, Trotter, and Garvan. Walters was the big departure under Keane, bringing in a couple of million, while Wickham’s mega fee came during Jewell’s time.

I don’t think any Town supporter can say Keane left us in a better place than when he took over. Something that Keane himself has openly admitted. And that’s before we get into his abject treatment of several first team players, his disregard and dismantling of the academy, and his failure to finish anywhere higher than lower mid-table in the league. In my opinion, Keane’s only real achievement was reaching the League Cup semi-finals. Ultimately, his record at Town has ensured he won’t get another job in management which, given his reputation within the game, is quite the indictment!

If it wasn’t for the hapless recruitment and terrible run of results under Hurst - or the prolonged decline and third division mediocrity under Lambert - then Keane would quite rightly be judged as arguably the worst manager in the club’s history.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Paul Jewell spent a million quid each on JET and Chopra. But equally he brought in Cresswell for peanuts.

Roy Keane brought in Murphy for the first time on loan - the most vital player for us of the entire decade - and Hourihane for free who was a key component of Villa getting back to the elite level, plus Leadbitter a key player for Middlesbrough to name a few.

Contrast that with McCarthy, who had a revolving door of players and can really only boast success with Tyrone Mings and now Lambert who has brought in no new blood of merit whatsoever.

Paul Hurst started with such a pathetic squad and was given so little opportunity to bring about massive changes, we will never know how that could have panned out. But we can now say how the alternative is going.

It’s never as simple as just spending money. It’s never as simple as having a good eye for a player which Roy Keane undoubtedly had. It’s never as simple as doing the basics, which McCarthy had us do so well.

To succeed we need backing from the owner, an ambitious manager with footballing values and a top tier academy.

5. itfcptc

Your are wrong Keane was rubbish

6. itfcptc

Agree apart from i would say Keane is the worst Ipswich manager I have known purely from the position he took over, all the others have just failed to turn a downward spiral he took over a relatively good team had financial backing and destroyed us. Other than ME, I would say Keane has more to answer for than anyone as to why we are where we are now.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  7. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

......and a tw@t.

itfcptc likes this.
  8. itfcptc

Yes but Burley sold Scowcroft, Bramble and Wright the following year so actually so Herman fee doesn't count

9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

The next season when we sold Richard Wright (Bramble was sold later after we were relegated) he forked out huge sums for Finidi George, Sereni, Marcus Bent plus Miller and Gaardsoe. Burley’s spending eclipsed any other Town manager. The sums we received for several years were also far higher than at any other time (even accounting for Wickham, Cresswell and Mings) because we had so many valuable players and the fees just weren’t there in the early 80s when Robson’s side was broken up, although it would be interesting to see how it adds up adjusted for inflation and the English transfer market.

10. itfcptc

I'm really not sure what your argument is. Of course Burley spent more money than Keane but that was over 8 seasons 2 of which were in the PL and he'd made a number of sales to improve the team.

Roy Keane pretty much spent £9 million in 1 transfer window without needing to sell players. It wasn't until the next summer he sold Walters for under £3million and then was also allowed to spend that money on other players.

Burley had money to spend but he also earnt it through success and selling players. Keane was given a tonne of money over 1 transfer window without the need of selling players or proving success.

We were one of if not the biggest spending team in the Championship that season and I've never known any of our managers to be backed to that level in the context of what league we were in, lack of player sales and over such a short period of time.

I'm pretty sure of any of our consequent managers had that level of support we wouldn't be where we are now. Its like ME got his fingers burnt so much by Keane he went to the other extreme and wouldn't even give managers money if they'd sold a player for big bucks

Nuggets likes this.

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

There’s no contest if you look at the nuances of it. We had a recipe for success, balance and an academy churning out England internationals. It only went so badly wrong because we invested millions in the stadium before we could afford to. Under Evans there has never been any formula or plan.

I was just picking up the point that Keane had more money to spend than any other Ipswich manager and it’s not the case even if you look at a single window and not all the years that Burley was at the club. Was it done in a sustainable way? No not at all.

12. itfcptc

I've just had a little look and it's about the same. So George Burley biggest transfer window he spent £9 million but in the same transfer window we sold Wright and Scowcroft for a combined £9 million so basically equalling out the money he paid out.

Obviously 8 years later you have to take inflation into account but Keane spent around the same, £9 million and made 2 sales that summer Rhodes and Sumulikoski at a total of 750k.

The sad irony is Paul Lambert was up the road at the same time on a shoestring budget taking Norwich from League 1 to 12th in the PL.

13. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Not exactly like for like because the Bent transfer was in November before the transfer window rules changed, but £12.25m in 2001 (£9.25m strictly in the summer) compared with just under £7m in 2009.

Ironically the transfer window that put us on the path to our current predicament.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  14. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I don’t think any of us expect to be spending fees of £10m in each window, but £2-£5m pounds per year for fees plus being prepared to pay salaries of £10k-£15k per week. 1 or 2 loans at a time maximum. That’s the kind of wage structure we need to get back where we belong.

itfcptc likes this.
  15. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Who was the twat who signed Priskin for over a £M ?

16. Bigalreigned

Another of Keane’s dropped bollocks!

17. fieldmarshall

I thought it was him, he just has to be the worst we've ever had.

Bigalreigned likes this.
  18. fieldmarshall

And Lee Martin ? Same twat ?

19. Bigalreigned

Yep,reputedly £1.5 million <doh>

20. fieldmarshall

He certainly had an eye for a good player.

: lostforwords