1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Posh take their time to turn Tykes over.....

Discussion in 'Peterborough' started by oldposhpete, Oct 18, 2014.

1. oldposhpete

oldposhpete Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

FT:- POSH 2 - 1 Barnsley

After a mid-morning stroll with my canine companion, followed by a light lunch, I was left with a conundrum.

Bike or bus? With a strong wind and ominous, moisture-laden cumulonimbus scudding overhead, I opted for the bus
    as my means of transport to and from today's game at London Road.

The visitors, Barnsley, had emulated Posh's feat of coming from behind to win handsomely in their previous game,
    something that would be unattainable for both teams in this match.

I felt a sense of deja vu after Posh went behind early in the first half to a lively Tykes team, who clearly wanted to win
    the match more than Posh at this stage. We were struggling to create much free-flowing football during the first quarter thanks to being
    second to any loose ball and over-hit passes sailing out of play courtesy of the excessive force applied and the strong wind blowing towards the Moyes End.

We did create a few chances, Conor Washington striking the post from close range and Christian Burgess heading over when well placed
    during one of Posh's many corners.

Marcus Maddison was having a relatively quiet game, always closely marked and frequently hacked down, clearly seen as Posh's play-maker and danger man,
    with Barnsley players seemingly happy to concede numerous free-kicks around the half-way line.

With only moments before the half-time whistle Danny Wilson was forced to tear up his notes for his half-time team talk when Conor
    finally found the back of the net from within the penalty area after a prolonged spell of Posh pressure.

Barnsley had been the better team during the first 45 minutes and again started strongly for the second 45.

However Posh were much more lively and gradually took control forcing Barnsley to defend deep. Maddison continued to be fouled and the
    Referee, tired of issuing verbal warnings, began producing the yellow card for these infringements. Posh were to reap their reward for this soon after.

Yet again Maddison was fouled by Bailey, who earned himself a booking, and Posh were awarded a direct free kick some 30 yards from goal on the right-hand side.

Maddison placed the ball carefully then struck the ball sweetly enough, but it seemed to be going over the bar before dipping late, finding the top corner of the net,
    beyond the out-stretched fingers of Turnbull, the Barnsley keeper. A goal even better than the one he had scored during the previous home game against Oldham.

Shortly afterwards Bailey fouled Maddison once more to earn the displeasure of the London Road faithful and, more importantly, the Referee who sent Bailey for an
    early bath.

The much-maligned but much improved (from last season) Joe Newell was rightly nominated for the Man of the Match award by the sponsors and the announcement was
    greeted with a standing ovation for the young Midfielder.

Posh were able to take advantage of their numerical advantage, and Barnsleys reduced attacking threat, by playing possession football, happy to see out the final
    20 minutes or so to the whistle.

Unlike last season Posh now have the ability to come from behind and win as well as see out a game from a winning position.

We do have to guard against complacency, there are no easy games in this League and next up, Crewe, have won their last 2 games, so they will be in good spirits.

2. Minxy

Minxy Just Me
    Staff Member

Thanks OPP ..... great read as ever

3. poshfan

poshfan Well-Known Member

good one opp glad there's a report instead of other dribble on here. why I never post much now a days

Keep it up

4. Minxy

Minxy Just Me
    Staff Member

I always wondered what would be the straw that broke the camels back for me ...... well now I know.

An insult from a Posh fan who doesn't even know the difference between dribble & drivel

I've put up with a lot of crap as supermod but my own board has always been my haven

5. brb

brb Guest

What a rude individual. Why bother coming here at all, just go use another site. Even better still, I will make a special exception to delete your account if you prefer?

6. Poshtohauntu

Poshtohauntu Member

Well?..... a football forum with not much football, more a chat room and games area.

Take it on the chin.

<ghost>

7. poshfan

poshfan Well-Known Member

Agree all there is is quizs not football

8. Minxy

Minxy Just Me
    Staff Member

Long time no see :D

9. Minxy

Minxy Just Me
    Staff Member