1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Posh Match Ratings

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Don Cortese, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Don Cortese

Don Cortese Member

Kelvin - 8.5 - Once or twice was a little slow to come off his line and command his area. However, fantastic double save (one with legs and one tipped round the post).

Fox - 7 - quiet by his standards, but didnt do anything wrong, just didnt see a huge amount of the ball.

Buttefield - 9 - really impressed me. So casual, calm and composed on the ball, never wasted it. Clever in the way he gets forward as he doesnt venture too far, and crosses from deep, allowing for his lack of pace to get back. One of our best players I thought.

Hoover - 9 - won almost everything in the air, good goal, such a legend. Hope he isnt injured. Came out on the pitch afterwards conducting the crowd and looked fine

Fonte - 8 - one or two shaky moments, their players were climbing and holding all the time. Some great clearances and good use of the ball stepping out of defence.

Lallana - 8.5 - quiet first half but came alive in the seoncd as more of our play was down his wing. Posh players couldnt get near him when on the ball, and linked up with Lambert and Guly beatufiully at the end - such a class act

Deano - 7.5 - standard deano - winning headers, doing the dirty work, box to box. Just did what he always does and did it well.

Cork - 8.5 - very impressive again, great energy and won loads of balls in the midfield, hassling, pressing and energetic. use of the ball also very good.

Chaplow - 8 - defensively he did an awful lot of work and never let anything die. A right pest who never gave up on anything. End product sometimes lacking, although very unlcuky not to score in the second half. Towards the end his standard dropped a bit and got a bit scrappy.

Sharp - 9 - two well taken goals, could have had more. Constantly held and fouled (as was Ricky). Looked quicker across and ground and got in behind once or twice. Defends from the front well and held is up better than a Banard or Connolly may have been able to against their lumps

Rickie - 7.5 - quiet night, held and climbed all over from the first minute really, but still had some lovely touches and "chest passes"

Guly - 8 - looked very good when he came on, used the ball well, got past people and drilled a low shot just wide. Got a lot of appreciation which was nice.

Martin - 7.5 - didnt do much at all, lost a header which was a dodgy due to where it was, but very little to judge him on

Nigel - 10 - didn't take Chaplow off after he was cocking up a bit and crowd were asking for Steve. Gave Guly a chance who was getting massive cheers all night (nice to see people getting behind him). Nige was also quick to clap and wave when requested by the fans.

2. Saintjoey

Saintjoey Well-Known Member

Think your ratings are a little high, only because they don't separate the excellent performers from the decent ones. So I'll just summarise my thoughts:

Cork - 9.5 - Back to how he was playing a while ago, lost count of how many tackles he made, always kept it moving. Fantastic.
    Hammond - 9 - Always there. Dominated the midfield and I just love his passion.
    Butterfield - 8 Was excellent. Good early crosses which is why he's picked over Frazer. One crosses from deep and one gets to the byeline generally. Good tactics here.
    Hooiveld - 9 - Never looked like conceding while he was on the pitch.
    Lambert - 7 - Off day by his standards.
    Sharp - 9 - Agree with this. Special mention for Billy, worked the hardest I've seen him. 2 excellent finishes and at least 1 very questionable offside against him. Best performance.

Just a note of itnerest, I was sat right by where Nigel was in the dugout and heard most of his instructions. Usually they were "PASS PASS PASS" and "move the ball, move the ball." Crosby's goal celebrations were full of passion and he doesn't shut up for the 90! Constantly relaying messages to Butts/Fox (depending on which half it was).

Also to all of you fans singing "we are Southampton we're top of the league" I'm glad you're not involved in the Accounts at our club!! Great support though and a cracking night!

3. jacksk1

jacksk1 Well-Known Member

Wasn't there last night but glad to see that Cork had a good game again. I think he'd be the first to admit that his performances had started to drop but I thought he was excellent when coming on for Morgan against Pompey and by all accounts he's continued that against both Palace and Peterborough.

4. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Deano was on a par with Corkie. Both weree excellent. Deano should be an 8

5. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Davis 8 - A couple of excellent saves and good distribution
    Butterfield 8 - Very good game, good crosses and solid at the back
    Hooiveld 8 - Dominant in the area and yet another Tuesday night goal
    Fonte 7
    Fox 6
    Chaplow 7 Worked hard but crossing could have been better. Could and maybe should have scored.
    Hammond 8 - Him and Cork bossed the midfield
    Cork 9 - Very impressed with Cork yesterday
    Lallana 6
    Lambert 6
    Sharp 9 - Man of the match - 2 good goals and held on to the ball well

Subs
    Martin 6
    Guly 7