1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Portugal v France, Euro 2016, The FINAL. Sun 10th July, KO: 20.00

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 9, 2016.

1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Here we go for the last time in the tournament:

upload_2016-7-9_19-48-4.png V upload_2016-7-9_19-48-24.png
    Venue: Stade de France
    Referee: Mark Clattenburg​

MATCH FACTS
    Head-to-head
    • France have won their last 10 games against Portugal. Their overall record is W18, D1, L5.
    • Portugal last avoided defeat against the French in 1975, when they won a friendly 2-0 in Paris.
    • France's 10-game winning streak includes the three previous meetings at major tournaments, all of which came at the semi-final stage. Michel Platini hit a late winner as France won 3-2 in extra time at Euro 84, while Zinedine Zidane scored a golden goal (via a penalty) as the French won 2-1 at Euro 2000. And another Zidane spot-kick put France in the 2006 World Cup final with a 1-0 win.
    • The sides have met twice in friendlies in the last two years. Les Bleus won 2-1 at the Stade de France in October 2014 with goals from Karim Benzema and Paul Pogba (Ricardo Quaresma replied with a penalty), while Mathieu Valbuena's free-kick gave France a 1-0 victory in Lisbon last September.
    Portugal
    • Portugal have played the most games in the history of the European Championship without ever winning the tournament (34, before this final). Should they beat France, that unwanted record will pass to England (31 matches).
    • They are the first team to reach the final of the European Championship after ending third in the group stage. It has happened twice before at World Cups but Argentina (in 1990) and Italy (in 1994) both ended as runners-up.
    • Portugal are unbeaten in their 13 competitive fixtures under Fernando Santos with eight of their nine wins by single-goal margins.
    • Cristiano Ronaldo has also failed to score with any of his 43 direct free-kicks at major international tournaments.
    • All nine of his goals at the European Championship have been scored from inside the penalty area. Five of those have been headers.
    France
    • France have won three of their previous four finals at World Cups or Euros . They only time they ended as runners-up was at the 2006 World Cup - they drew 1-1 with Italy before losing on penalties.
    • They are unbeaten in their last 18 games at World Cups or Euros on home soil, winning 16 and drawing two. Their last defeat came at the inaugural European Championship in 1960 (they lost both their games - a semi-final against Yugoslavia and third-place play-off against Czechoslovakia).
    • Victory would see France join Germany and Spain as three-time European champions.
    • Of France's 13 goals at Euro 2016, 11 have been scored from the 42nd minute onwards.
    • The record for most goals by a team at the Euros is held by France (14 in five matches in 1984).
    • France are the last side to win the European Championship final after conceding the opening goal (they hit back from 1-0 down to beat Italy 2-1 in 2000).
    • Antoine Griezmann can become the third Frenchman to finish as the sole top scorer at major tournament, following Just Fontaine (1958 World Cup) and Michel Platini (Euro 84).
    • Didier Deschamps could become the second man to win the European Championship as a player and coach, after Germany's Berti Vogts - who was an unused substitute in 1972 and coach in 1996).
    Portugal defender Pepe is expected to return. France have all 23 available.
    TV Coverage is live everywhere you look, BBC, ITV et al. Almost certainly everyone will be able to view the game if they really want to. Radio coverage is available via BBC Radio 5 Sport and/or via the Net, where radio commentary will almost certainly be synced with the pictures so you can choose the least offensive commentators and pundits. Personally, it's been a surprisingly enjoyable tournament.

fatletiss likes this.
  2. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I'd just like a really exciting game and a goal
    for Jose!

3. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

1-0 Portugal, Nani.

P.S I've hated the tournament's new format.

4. TheSecondStain

You've done it again, but I was only knocked off my sure footing for a split-second this time. ;)

5. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

We know from bitter experiences that mainly players come and go from our club, but when a player connects with the fans/club it feels kind of special

Come on Jose!!!

TheSecondStain and fatletiss like this.
  6. TheSecondStain

Fully flagged up member here.

Just trying to sort out a new avatar for when the tournament is all over. Probably non-motorcylesaredangerousthings oriented this time [that'll please Flakey Fran ;) ]

7. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

It's got to be Portugal but I'll have to pretend that Ronaldo isn't playing for them. 2-1.

8. TheSecondStain

Going to have to remind me of this fierce dislike of Ronaldo thing. Is it bandwagon jumping.? What I mean is, people don't like him because people don't like him and they forget the reason why.?

9. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

Don't like his arrogance. No bandwagon, it's my opinion.

10. fatletiss

I think it's because on the pitch he struts like a peacock and behaves like a dick.

He's a fabulous footballer and does a lot of good things off the pitch with his money and supporting various causes, but on he pitch it's all about him. That gets up a lot of people's noses!

As Laces said earlier, very Lewis Hamilton.

11. TheSecondStain

Yes, I agree that is an issue, but he always has time for his fans. And he can back the arrogance up with proof of genuine brilliance. That's the thing. And if you are going to judge people on more than their playing ability and conduct, he's the good guy. Turns out that his contemporary, the quietly popular Lionel Messi, is no more than a crook. ;)

I'm not a fan of Ronaldo, after all he doesn't play for Saints. But I admire his skill and the way he has pushed himself to be the best possible. It's a virtue I don't possess. Too content, that's me.

12. TheSecondStain

I suppose if I was very involved with the Ronaldo's, the Messi's and even the Hamilton's of this world it would get up my nose too. But I'm not, so I don't judge. The closest I properly get to any sporting megastar is Valentino Rossi. 1] Because he is such a great guy for his sport and he's also a pretty great guy overall, and 2] because I'm about 90% sure I'm distantly related to him through my Italian Grandmother. ;)

fatletiss likes this.
  13. fatletiss

I won't believe that until you post a video of you hanging your knee out an inch from the floor, going round chliworth roundabout at 70 mph! :)

14. TheSecondStain

Done it already mate. You need a big enough roundabout, but the fastest I've been around one is about 70-75 mph. The road was entirely empty of traffic, I have to say. Knee was down and touched [that was a shock]. It was about 4-5 years back. Definitely since I've been a member here. No video sadly. Sorry. Guess you'll just have to believe me or not. ;)

I don't mind if you do a not.

Went round Romsey roundabout at about 65+.

fatletiss likes this.
  15. fatletiss

Fair play to you. Would scare the crap out of me.

16. TheSecondStain

Nah, I don't share the Rossi motorbike genes. It's modern motorcycles and proper technique. I had to force myself to adopt a proper riding technique because otherwise I wouldn't have stayed a motorcyclist for long. And modern bikes are so safe.

17. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Personally I want Ronaldo to lift the trophy, since only that will cement him as being a true legend of the game. I don't care about his arrogance either. It's nowhere near that of say, Ibrahimovic, and at least Ronaldo has a genuine passion for the game, not like our bunch of spoilt dickheads.

Of course, if Jose scores the winner then that would be perfect.

Qwerty, Libby and The Ides of March like this.
  18. fatletiss

I believe Ronaldo already is a legend of the game. One of the all time best players.

I still think he's a cock.

19. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I think it's because he erected a gold statue of himself in the square of his home town.

20. saintgreg10

saintgreg10 Well-Known Member

France to win, they deserve it through all the **** the country has had to endure over the last year. Hope for a good game as both teams like to attack. However, Portugal have yet to meet a really strong side in this tournament with arguably their toughest test being Croatia or Poland.

This is a very exciting France team and with the amount of quality coming up through the academies, the future looks very bright for them.