1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Portsmouth v Charlton A

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Dec 9, 2018.

1. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

If this game was still on a Saturday, we would be taking 2,500 down there like we did last season.

What an excellent manager Kenny Jackett is <applause>

The ‘sunny side up’ wing of our fan base will say “it’s a long season” - conveniently forgetting that half of our squad are crocks who can’t play two games in a week.

Not optimistic for this one, and I see us falling even further off the pace come Tuesday night.

2. Clb74

Clb74 Well-Known Member

We're going to though, how many points are we expecting in December

3. User deleted as requested

5-7

DickPlumb likes this.
  4. Clb74

Clb74 Well-Known Member

If we manage 9 points in December I think we've had a good month

5. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

https://gunwharf-quays.com/

Should my two buddies decide to go I strongly advise them to pay this place a visit before the game.

@Clb74 can get some cracking deals on some new shorts, or might even go made and buy some trousers as the weather is changing.
    @Royston Vasey is in dire need for a suit. As he is partial to a bit of Gant I can imagine him heading there, but once put off by the (outlet)prices he will probably end next door in Gap.

6. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

We need to stick the boot in against Portsmouth - we sure as hell aren't going to out-play them.

Just 8 fouls conceded against Blackpool; nowhere near committed enough from a team who had been rested for well over a week. We need to be right in Pompey's faces on Tuesday evening or there's no point even turning up.

We were roughing teams up earlier this season and getting decent results because of it. Now the intensity level is dropping away. No excuse for that after the FA Cup cop-out / first team holiday weekend.

7. Clb74

Clb74 Well-Known Member

Will be well happy with a point Tuesday

8. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

Agreed, an away point would be OK considering the form Portsmouth are in.
    The last two fixtures before Christmas - both at home against AFC Wimbledon and Gillingham - then become important.

We have slipped up in the past at home against these two. Gillingham in particular will be a tough one I think. Four points are needed really from these two games if Charlton are not to fall behind the top 6 again.

9. User deleted as requested

Why does Seriously Apologetic over on ITTV keep claiming “it costs hard cash” to get promoted out of this p1ss hole of a league ?

Luton Town are 2nd - they haven’t spent money. Neither have top placed Portsmouth -Jackett has had to wheel and deal. Barnsley are a selling club with a team largely comprising young home grown kids. The only club in League 1 who have spent a few quid is Peterborough- and they sold a player last summer for millions.

What you need is consistency, a flexible formation, and a squad. We currently have none of these. You also need players who can suffer playing two games in a week - once again, the nucleus of our team is made of crocks who are usually one tackle away from three months out.

It’s a pathetic excuse to claim promotion out of this p1sshole is all about money.

10. The Elfsborg Sparrow

You're never happy.

11. The Elfsborg Sparrow

SeriouslyRidiculous is a 100% wum. I have grown a beard whilst reading a post of his.

He has repeatedly said the opposite in that it is dangerous/unnecessary to spend dough due to the dangers of getting in to debt.

He could write a book and still say nothing.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  12. The Elfsborg Sparrow

@Clb74 has a keen interest in property prices around the country.

He was part of an interesting debate on a Plymouth away thread last season. As he is attending the game tomorrow it reminded me of the Plymouth thread.

I wonder how Portsmouth compares in price, both on the south coast in less affluent areas.

13. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Google is your friend <ok>

14. User deleted as requested

Speaking as someone who spends a lot of time working in the South West, I am here today in fact, Plymouth property is very cheap. It’s a traditional working class sea port. You can buy a house for £100,000.

15. The Elfsborg Sparrow

I
    I'll Google it.

16. The Elfsborg Sparrow

<laugh>

17. The Elfsborg Sparrow

RightMove suggests otherwise Mr van Gerwen.

18. The Elfsborg Sparrow

Sixth place and a late run is what we all experienced last season. It wasn't too bad compared to mid-table the season before but we all know that in the end, we couldn't land a single blow in the Play Off semi finals - home or away. And we aren't challenging for the top two - nowhere near as that would require 47 points after 23 games or roughly two points per game. We are going to be around ten points short of that.

What we might look at is the likelihood of being 6th at the halfway mark which requires approximately four more points. And then what will it take to develop the side into one which can win the Play-off semi finals and take us to Wembley. Not guaranteed promotion by a long chalk but one step further than last time and a competitive side.

On the upside, we have the strikers, the keeper (assuming he stays) and the defence once Page is back. Obviously we need cover at left-back as the various options of Solly wrong side, Sarr and Stevenson are showing weakness every game. Talking of injuries, we've lost Cullen until February but he's some player and could easily become part of a side that wins more often than not. For that is what we have to do - win at least half our games.

Where we have a real challenge is with the rest of midfield. Ward is injured, Fosu off form, Reeves a decent sub etc. etc. We all like Lapslie but he's young and we need decent, more experienced players around him.

That. Costs. Hard. Cash.

Read more: http://intothevalley.proboards.com/thread/23116/next-games-make-break-seaon#ixzz5ZHrnlpjl

The latest offering from SeriouslyRidiculous.

What is he actually saying here?

19. User deleted as requested

Good luck to the travelling fans tonight, including @DickPlumb . I would have loved to have gone, but I can't do midweek work nights.

I think we will take about 800 tonight.

lardiman likes this.
  20. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

Always a great atmosphere at Fratton Park. It used to be very lively in the seventies/ eighties. Am not expecting anything from the game. But Charlton have surprised me before.