1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Portsmouth FC

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by jonny 'hasen' shuttle, Oct 12, 2018.

1. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

2. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

We had our one cup run of the decade a couple of years ago. Maybe next decade.

Libby and Saints_Alive like this.
  3. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I have got to say it is probably more enjoyable being a Pompey fan than following the Saints this season and I have no doubt that our friends down the road should be looking for an automatic promotion spot. My only concern would be whether they can keep hold of the manager Jackett as I just think someone will snap him up if Pompey aren't in poll position by Christmas. For me, this is the biggest risk to Portsmouth's promotion ambitions and I think they will struggle to keep hold of him this season. Another club, probably in the Championship, will nab him before May in my opinion.

So far Portsmouth have produced some impressive results and especially away. Their home form is a bit more erratic but I think their dominance of League One was always likely to be on the cards. I concede that there are some big blubs in that league now yet I still see Portsmouth as a sleeping giant. They should be automatic Championship at the very least and were unfortunate that their sojourn in the Premiership was under the stewardship of probably the most dubious set of directors of the last twenty years. Had the club been properly managed, they should have been playing football in a modern, 21st century stadium . However, there is always the potential at Portsmouth for things not to go to plan and the club has a history of being mismanaged.

As far as a Saints / Portsmouth clash at this point in time, it does look like a potential banana skin for Saints if we drew they in the cup. However, as Portsmouth are out of the League Cup, any draw will take place in the FA Cup in January by which time I feel that we will either have got our act together or will be managed by someone else. I would be seriously disappointed if we allowed any malaise to continue past Christmas for a second season in a row. In these circumstances, I would have hoped that any match between the two clubs would not have ended in an embarrassing conclusion for Saints. Certainly the fitness levels at the very least should be in Saint's favour. I also believe that the current Portsmouth squad is quite young and maybe lacking in experience.

4. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

Ah but in heaven we will win every game. Marcus will be our owner, Alan ball our manager and Ron Davies our centre forward. I will have wings and a halo and be a real saint at last. On earth the very lovely Mrs Godders:emoticon-0115-inlov will be going around telling people what an absolute angel her husband is but they will not realise she is being literal.

angel-emoticon.png

5. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Good mood today Godders?...:)

6. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

I am never in a ****ing good mood. I shall argue and fight until the day I die.

7. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Would love to see Pompey back in the big time. It’s one if the greatest rivalries in British football and those wins are always extra special.

Archers Road likes this.
  8. AshbySaint

AshbySaint Well-Known Member

I was at the game too, and came away thinking how cruel football can be. I thought we played well against a team that Pompey couldnt afford. It definitely wasnt a 4-1 performance from us

9. AshbySaint

I cant see how you can say that. To us obviously, but it barely registers with the national media and most other fans

10. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Could of sworn I read somewhere that even nationally it ranks 3rd behind Mancs and Scousers.

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

I prefer the smaller inter-city derbies than same city ones tbh. So ours, Newcastle/Sunderland, Cardiff/Swansea, Burnley/Blackburn and so on.

Think they can be fiercer as there's less 'working with enemy' etc.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  12. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

13. Saints_Alive

For hatred you mean?...there are much bigger derbies otherwise..

Old Firm
    Liverpool v Everton
    Man City v Man Utd
    Man Utd v Liverpool
    Arsenal v Spurs
    Newcastle v Sunderland
    Villa v Brum

Edit: I think the Bristol Derby gets pretty vicious

14. Saints_Alive

I used to work with a Skate that would never buy anything from a "Scummer shop"...idiot.

15. AshbySaint

Not saying you are wrong. All that i can say is that living in the midlands and London, all fans got the Liverpool/Everton, City/Utd, Sunderland/Newcastle, Spurs/Arsenal rivalry, but no-one knew about ours and Pompey. I really had to explain the history and the animosity and of course the scummers tag.

I guess we haven't played in the same division that often so you dont get to hear about it.

16. Libby

Libby 9-0

I imagine your last line is spot on, makes it more special for me personally though as it allows it to build up when one team 'owes' the other.

Archers Road and Saints_Alive like this.
  17. Saints_Alive

You're right TLL, the "build up" before the '84 cup game at Fratton was incredible as a lot of my generation hadn't witnessed a SC Derby (the previous one being 8 years earlier).. It was of course the age of the firms too and I can remember the night before the match at The Painted Wagon in the City Centre, the atmosphere was electric with anticipation. The day itself was one that I will remember for the rest of my life, no other subsequent Derby has come close to the feeling I had in that one.

Archers Road likes this.
  18. Libby

Libby 9-0

Same for me in 2003, first one at SMS, first since 96 I believe? Added atmosphere of a night game and them having a bigger allocation cos of cup. The unfortunate incident with the 'silence' pre match cranked it up too.

Even now I still can't shake the fact we owe them one... our last win against them was when we had 'Arry ffs!

Archers Road likes this.
  19. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

No need to apologise for leaving the island. Just don’t do it too often :p

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  20. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Add
    WBA v Wolves
    Forest v Derby
    Sheffield United v Wednesday
    Chelsea v Tottenham