1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Portsmouth announce retained list for 2019-20 season

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by Wooperts_duck, May 17, 2019.

1. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Pompey have announced their retained list ahead of the 2019-20 season.

The Blues have confirmed they will not take up the option of extending Dion Donohue’s deal by an additional 12 months and he’ll be released.

Striker Dan Smith will also depart.

The academy graduate spent the majority of the campaign out on loan – firstly at Bognor Regis, while he’s currently at League of Ireland premier division outfit Cork City.

Smith, 19, made two appearances during Pompey’s run to Checkatrade Trophy glory.

Meanwhile, the Blues remain in discussions to extend Nathan Thompson’s stay.

The right-back was Jackett’s first signing after taking over from Paul Cook as manager.

Thompson penned a two-year deal in June 2017 after leaving Swindon and has made 76 appearances and netted one goal at Fratton Park.

Young centre back Matt Casey has been offered a new deal. The fledgling defender featured three times for the Blues in the Checkatrade Trophy this term, while he had a successful loan spell at Gosport Borough.

Omar Bogle (Cardiff), Lloyd Isgrove (Barnsley), Viv Solomon-Otabor (Birmingham) and James Vaughan (Wigan) will return to their parent clubs following the end of their loan spells.

Alex Bass, Lee Brown, Christian Burgess, Andy Cannon, Matt Clarke, Ben Close, Ronan Curtis, Louis Dennis, Gareth Evans, Brandon Haunstrup, Oli Hawkins, Jamal Lowe, Craig MacGillivray, Adam May, Luke McGee, Bryn Morris, Tom Naylor, Brett Pitman, Anton Walkes and Jack Whatmough are all still under contract.

2. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

So 20 señor pros. If Lowe and Clarke are snapped up, maybe even Curtis, that leaves 17 and our three best players gone. I hope there are some new signings in the pipeline. Hoepfully there is another one like Lowe that we can get from non-League football. Need a creative midfielder, a new CB, and a mobile striker who will créate space for our attacking midfielders to run into and score goals.

3. pompeydownunder

pompeydownunder Well-Known Member

An interesting list:

it is interesting to try and divide the list into players that could continue to improve and those that are probably at the peak of their abilities:
    Near the Peak of their Abilities:
    Brown ( who has been very good and consistent this season and could continue to be so), Nathan Thompson ( same as Brown but could leave).
    Gareth Evans, Tom Naylor and Brett Pitman.
    Could Improve:
    Alex Bass*, Matt Clarke (hard to see that he could play much better at this level though), Close, Curtis, Dennis*, Haunstrup*, Lowe, May*, McGee*, Anton Walkes, and Whatmough.
    Those marked * cannot improve without game opportunities.
    In Between:
    Christian Burgess ( has played very well in defence but over does the long ball out of defence), MacGillvray ( had a great season but, like Burgess possibly over does the long ball), Hawkins ( clearly fulfils a role and probably has a good attitude but gives the feeling perhaps a middling Div One player is his upper limit)

Unknowns:
    Cannon and Morris.

All the above comments are based on reading reports and watching extended highlights although the three recent games against Sunderland were televised 'Downunder'.

Recruitment Required:
    Assuming all the above remain at the club the most pressing needs are:
    1) Another winner of 50-50 balls in mid field - Naylor cannot do it all! It is unknown if Cannon or Morris could fulfil this role.
    2) A front man with physical presence and pace - a faster addition of Hawkins ideally with a little more hunger in the box.
    3) the No 10 Position. I would like Dennis to be given a run in this role. Pitman is a clever player, with good anticipation and positional play in front of goal. However, I am not sure he consistently shows the necessary energy levels. My impression is that his work rate has improved since he was dropped and has come back into the side - which begs the question why was he not putting in as much before? In fairness it is difficult to judge the amount of off the ball running done from television viewing. I am not sure Pitman has the right attitude for captaincy.

If Thompson goes Walkes appears to be his natural replacement. Perhaps not as good but with potential to improve. I am not sure if Haunstrup would be comfortable at right back or if he is strictly a left sided player. If Thompson leaves and Haunstrup can deputise at either full back position he has a reasonable chance of game time next season, covering to injury or suspension for the two positions. If he is purely a left back I cannot see him getting game time while Brown is fit and he should leave to further his career. A pity because I believe he has potential. While not his favoured position Evans has also done well at full back in the past.

If Clarke goes his natural replacement would be a fit Whatmough playing alongside Burgess. If Casey has been offered a contract he must be thought to have 1st team potential. Walkes, Thompson ( if still with us) and Hawkins are all potential makeshift central defenders for a couple of games if necessary. The only senior player in this bunch is Thompson. The apparent concentration of effort in signing a new central defender is surprising - even if Clarke goes. I feel any further signing in this position should be a senior player. Otherwise the present young competitors for the position will become hard to hold onto.

If Lowe or Curtis leave it will leave a big gap. I do not know if it would leave another opportunity Dennis or if he is more No 10 than winger.

May ,Bass, & McGee must realistically consider leaving if the opportunity arises since they cannot improve without game time and their prospects of it appear to me to be poor.

Any recruitment must constitute an immediate upgrade in quality from the current squad. To their great credit I believe the squad has over performed in the past season but I cannot see great improvement coming from within. However, a couple of quality players may be all that is required - even if Lowe or Clarke leave.
    PUP

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  4. pompeydownunder

pompeydownunder Well-Known Member

An article in The news lists 25 players that have joined Pompey in the 'Eisner Era.' Of these 13 are loans
    The only loan that has become permanent is Walkes.
    Some loans are a necessity and there is a case for trying before you commit.
    However, it makes team building difficult and perhaps it has been overdone.

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  5. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Thompson not signing a new deal and will go, Clark as we all know is off and they have rejected bids for Jamal Lowe but more are surely to follow.

The powers that be really need to earn their pennies otherwise the team will go backwards.