1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Poppies and remembrance.

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Uber_Hoop, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

It may seem 'over the top' to some this year but it is the 100th anniversary of the 'Great War' and the 'Blood Swept Lands and Sea of Red' at the Tower of London has really done more than anything I can remember to publicise the poppy. They actually appealed for people NOT to visit this week as it was causing traffic chaos at Tower Hill and many surrounding roads, clearly the public has generated the interest and, hopefully, it will continue in future.

I think it is marketed through social media much more heavily and can seem like it is everywhere but that is the way things are nowadays...

2. Swords Hoopster.

Swords Hoopster. Well-Known Member

Is it worn for longer these days though?

Saw the Tower of London thing. Looks impressive.

3. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

It seems to be compulsory to wear a poppy if you appear on the BBC.

Bloody lefties.

4. Swords Hoopster.

Forgot about it being the centenary <doh>

That explains it

5. Quality Passing Rules

Quality Passing Rules Well-Known Member

Well pointed out col. Also worth making the point that the Royal British Legion does massive amounts of good work with retired and injured ex service personnel. They pick up a slack that in truth should not have to come from a charity.

As for McClean, I can't help but feel, what would I do if my actions could cause trouble for my family. Given the sound of his background (and my knowledge is only coming from what's been said in this thread) I'd think very hard about it and probably come to the same decision as him. It's just sad that he has to make that choice in the first place.

6. Azmi

Azmi Well-Known Member

Fair enough ro remember the victims of the mass slaughter of the Great War and those who died fighting Nazi-Fascism in WW2 and perhaps even the innocent conscripts of the early post war period.

Personally I feel to include the career soldiers of the Gulf Wars and the Falklands in the same category as those heroes is a misuse of the memories of those for who the Poppies were originally worn.

As always we have to be very careful of the hijacking of such symbolism as in the case of the fascists of Brritain First who tried it on just yesterday in Rochester. Good to see Tories joining the Left to stand up against the fascists there: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...ff-against-far-right-group-Britain-First.html

7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Every Halloween the trees are filled with underwear
    Every Spring the toilets explode
    Every November a debate about the politicization of the poppy

Extra point for identifying the fillum reference.

8. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Animal House... an awesome film from my yoffff

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  9. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

remembrance sunday for ww1 and 2
    maybe a Wednesday in march for any other soldiers to be remembered

muppet

10. Swords Hoopster.

I think Imaz has a point Kiwi. WW1 & WW2 are totally different animals to more recent conflicts like Iraq.

There are just wars and unjust wars you know?

11. Azmi

Azmi Well-Known Member

You're wasting your breath with some of the nationalists on here. My dad was in the army and both his brothers and my mother's brother were killed, my dad himself was shot in the face and lost an eye. Even my grandmother was wounded driving an ambulance.

Before the usual racists start up they were fighting in British Army and RAF. One is buried in Italy near Anzio and the other In India near Imphal, my mother's brother was never found, presumably lost over the Channel.

12. Swords Hoopster.

Bloody hell! Respect to your Clan Imaz. You're more than qualified to give opinions on these matters mate.

Speaking of serving in India, I thought this clip of Billy Connolly finding out about his Irish great grandfather's carry on was funny:

Skip to 19:25

[video=youtube;PJi1GmVvpkI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJi1GmVvpkI[/video]

13. Azmi

Azmi Well-Known Member

My mistake, he's buried at Kohima, not Imphal. I'm not big on military stuff. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kohima

14. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

do the armed forces get to choose which wars they get to fight in
    tell the politicians to piss off
    the poppy is not for them

15. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

This is exactly the point.
    No matter how justified or otherwise a conflict is, the soldiers just go where they're told.
    They should all be remembered imo.

16. DT Footspa

DT Footspa Well-Known Member

Agree about the respect totally
    I would prefer a society however that doesn't just put aside one day
    I would also introduce the black poppy and make the politicians were it
    These would be oversized to say fit a mans head and be made of cast iron and fixed directly into the skulls with nails on those deemed to wear one

Less they forget

17. Swords Hoopster.

Fair point Kiwi. If you're talking about the soldiers themselves then of course they must be remembered equally. Each one of them is some mother's son. I guess the poppy doesn't commemorate the actual conflicts, rather the troops who simply do their duty.

Point taken <ok>

18. Swords Hoopster.

To a point yes but not totally COL. You would then for example be exonerating all the Nazi soldiers for their evil deeds simply because they were following orders. I know if you're in the Army and you're ordered into combat, you are duty bound to follow those orders. However, if you felt your side is in the wrong and many innocent people would die because of a dubious (murderous?) decision taken by politicians then you could refuse to take part. There would be consequences of course but it has been done.

19. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Swords, if you require any more information here's the address and phone number for The Royal British Legion in Dublin, I'm sure they would be more than happy to assist wiith any questions you may have.....

Republic Of Ireland Office Address
    The Royal British Legion
    Suite 313, The Capel Building
    Mary's Abbey
    Dublin 7, Ireland

Tel: 1 800 992294

20. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

During WWII my Father maintained a certain level of respect for the troops of the regular German army (Wehrmacht), who were doing their job, but definitely not the SS units.

After the Nazi–Soviet non-aggression pact ended in June 1941, Dad was involved in the training Russian tank crews at Bovingdon Camp in Dorset and they were subsequently shipped back with tanks via the northern route to fight on the Eastern front. Dad always said the men of these Russian crews were very good people to work & socialize with, but they were always extremely wary of their political commissars who generally accompanied them, lest they say or do something they shouldn't and be punished on their return home.

Regarding regular soldiers carrying out orders, I recently read a story on the Balkan campaign where a young German soldier was ordered to shoot young partisans rounded up in a village - he refused to obey this order and was lined himself and shot along with the partisans - there was a photo posted of this event - brave lad for sticking to his principles. I wonder how many of us would have been brave enough to forfeit their life for that?

Just found that article:-

please log in to view this image

German soldier Josef Schultz drops his gun to stand besides partisans about to be shot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josef_Schulz