1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Poor managers

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Eireleeds1, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Well I meant in one match.........but seeing that you took me seriously, over a season yes we could...<ok>

2. kiwi

kiwi Well-Known Member

Don't say things like that, the Millwall lads will undoubtedly be lurking and bookmarking to laugh when we have our inevitable mid-season slump <laugh>

Ringo Lion likes this.
  3. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with a lot of what you’re saying Poly. How many seasons have we had a useless preseason with whoever was the coach at the time only allowing players play half a Pre season game at a time as they got up to speed. Bielsa comes in and in same period of time, with some suitably placed kicks up the arse and proper training sessions lasting a full day rather than two hours has the entire squad hitting the ground running literally. Too many managers now are afraid to upset their overpaid starlets

southernwhite, FORZA LEEDS and ristac like this.
  4. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Same here, I don’t totally agree but I see the angle Poly is coming from and I totally agree with them about Jose. You buy players ranging from £50m to £100m and if they don’t work and you have the finances Chelsea and Man City provide you buy the next one and then the next.

This is my point, what do you get extra when splashing out £50m compared to £60m or £70m or £80m to us £8m is a Bamford, £5m is a Douglas or Ayling, is there any LB or RB really worth 10x more?

southernwhite and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  5. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

I don’t know any objective way of measuring how good a player is. But, as a principle I can see why they pay so much.

If player X is worth £10m, and player Y is just 10% better, and - crucially - there are no players who are 20% better, so 10% is as good as it gets - then player Y might only be worth £11m in theory. But you can only play 11 players, so that player being 10% better makes your team 1% better. Do that a few times with a few players and your team is a bit better than the competition and you play in the Champions league and get huge tv rights and make a fortune. So that marginally better player is worth a fortune too.

6. w.c.dukenfield

w.c.dukenfield Well-Known Member

Morning all.I think we have a perfect example of the importance of a top class coach at Elland Road. Top class coaches are few and far between. I believe Brian Clough and Pep Guardiola could take a group at random and turn them into a good team ( at their level ). I'm not sure that Mouriinho could.

7. 2020VisionofLeeds

He reminds me of Revie a bit

8. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

I’m not saying players can’t be developed and improved by a good coach, I just completely disagree with you that some players aren’t naturally better than others (why did we buy Douglas? Because he’s better than LDB no matter how much coaching they get). As Harry Rednapp used to say, being the best manager is easier if you have the best players.

9. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Actually, as much as I can’t stand Jose he did win the champions league with two unfancied teams in Porto and Inter Milan

10. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

I was going to make a post along the same lines Doc,if this form carries on, then it won't go unnoticed by PL owners,already it sounds as though mourinho is pi***** a lot of people off at manure with his mouth.what is starting to worry me Bielsa might just be the kind of manager they would look at, as would others.he could become a prime target imagine what he could do with a 50-100m budget,i am genuinely concerned already.:emoticon-0107-sweat

11. southernwhite

Amen to that ristac.

ristac likes this.
  12. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Murinio isnt a footballer or a football man, he was given a job as translator to Bobby Robson when he was at Barcelona and learnt his trade there. Yes he has done well but never with fast flowing football as Jose' is only capable of trying to stifle/stop it.

Player values are just like any commodity value in a free market, but corrupted by agents and management companies who all want a piece of the action. Greed is key too because players and owners want to maximize whatever they can get. For example I get sick of seeing Prem clubs doing little pieces on camera for match of the day, you know the academy staff looking after kids in the community ....... here is a fact that was published before the start of last seasons premier league. The new increased money going to all Prem clubs means that if all Prem clubs gave free entrance to fans and filled their grounds, they would still make more money and profit than the previous season. That shows you the incredible money being paid to many shyte little clubs and the unfairness of the system and parachute payments. It also shows you why so many Championship clubs gamble with their existence to go and grab some of it.

managers are as good as their owners allow them to be and we've seen many very good managers not win anything but should win awards for surviving and keeping clubs in the division. Big Mick did it for Wolves without cash and took them into the Prem and kept them there for 7 seasons without a penney. They sacked him and we watched them fall through the leagues. Big Sam did the same at Bolton and once he left they fell through the leagues. Warnock does it except at Leeds but he started with one arm behind his back because of a crap owner. Managers like Sam and Mick play boring footy because they have only ever been able to afford a certain type of steady player who will do a job. Remember when Sam told the media that if he was at Barcelona he would win the Champions League? He was laughed at but nobody can say he wouldnt, and when he was given the England job he was doing things the FA had never thought of before and the high profile players were sorry to see him go. Southgate is a shadow of Big Sam and has done nothing in football management, except do a decent job with the U21s. He has no respect from top footy players so thats why he took all his own former U21s and only 2 senior players. Hes still done nothing in football even with an open door at this years WC but thats for another day

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  13. southernwhite

quite right shaks
    seven already from two games
    now let me see thats 7x23 is ermm

one hundred and sixty one :emoticon-0126-nerd:

Irishshako likes this.
  14. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

A close mate is a season ticket holder at Old Trafford. He and thousands more like him want Murinio gone and he was talking to me at half time on Saturday night whilst watching Derby Leeds, that he hopes Man Utd go for Bielsa as he was licking his lips at the style of play. Yeah that could be abig worry because Prem clubs like to flash cash and why wouldnt top Prem clubs want a top manager and many Scummers remember what Bielsa did to them in Europe when he was at Bilbao

15. southernwhite

<laugh>

16. 2020VisionofLeeds

I have these worries too. Maybe he would go if they paid him enough, though he strikes me as a slightly odd guy, might want to finish the job here. Might like the idea of showing he can turn Leeds (back) into a top team. Also if we are winning games then he can be in the Prem with Leeds next season anyway and the money gap would then become less.

FORZA LEEDS, southernwhite and ristac like this.
  17. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He has the chance to be a cult hero with us and go down in history or he can move to an average PL club and win nothing, survive a season or two before being called a failiure, the chances of him getting a Man City or Chelsea type job are slim I'd say

18. 2020VisionofLeeds

Doubt he’d go to an average PL club if he is succeeding here (and if he isn’t why would they want him). It was more a ManU sort of approach I was talking about. But I don’t know they’d want him, they might but his track record is mixed and never done it with a really top team.

ristac likes this.
  19. southernwhite

Thx 2020 i feel a bit better now (but only slightly) :emoticon-0141-whew:

20. w.c.dukenfield

w.c.dukenfield Well-Known Member

If Bielsa is happy at a club I don't think he is the kind of man who could be tempted by money. I think job satisfaction would be high on his list. He not only wants to make better players he wants to make better men, and the kids will benefit most. Don't under estimate Marcelo.

Whitejock, FORZA LEEDS, davy and 3 others like this.