1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Poor managers

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Eireleeds1, Aug 12, 2018.

1. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

If they can't get the ball from us, they can't hoof it long, at times yesterday, Derby were chasing shadows
    Don't let the opponents dictate the game

Marcos Barber and Doc like this.
  2. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

I want to see how we do against teams that on paper we should beat. <ok>

3. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

Rotherham next weekend

Irishshako likes this.
  4. Irishshako

Exactly 20/20...a team hammered by Brentford, while Brentford drew away to Stoke(who we beat) and Rotherham beat Ipswich. We should muller tham..:grin:

5. 2020VisionofLeeds

Yep and I think Beating Ipswich 1-0 is nothing special so Rotherham there for taking.

No bookmarking allowed <laugh>

6. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hi Poly

Some thought provoking points, hope you don't leave it as long before posting next time <ok>

Doc likes this.
  7. Irishshako

<laugh> bookmarked<laugh>

southernwhite likes this.
  8. Irishshako

I don't think we'd score 99 goals.........:)

9. 2020VisionofLeeds

Bstard

10. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Sorry mate. Some players are much better than others, that’s fact.

11. Poly

Poly Well-Known Member

Are you saying you don't think Leeds won't score 99 (league) goals this season ?

Well we're averaging 3.5 so far and there are 46 league games in an EFL Championship season.

Also that's 7 goals against some of the best opposition we're likely to face. We may seriously thump one or two teams this season.

southernwhite and bucks_is_leeds like this.
  12. Poly

Poly Well-Known Member

Define "better"

Are they:

Faster
    Fitter
    More skilful
    Stronger

If our players are lacking i fitness, strength or speed that's an issue for the fitness coaches. (I personally think a professional football club should have a dozen or more fitness coaches).

If you have a metabolism that means you'll never be able to run fast or for very long, you shouldn't be a professional athlete.

So does it just come down to skill ?

A CEO of a small company will probably work 60-80 hours per week for an annual salary of what a Championship player makes in a month.
    Sorry but if you're making £30-50,000 a week, you need to put in the hours to earn it.

Lack of skill is not a valid reason why a Premiership player is better than any of ours.

Perhaps, though, it's intelligence and the ability to understand what the coach is trying to get you to do ?

Football, like all games, is a thinking game.

13. Poly

Poly Well-Known Member

There's also the factor of confidence.

Our team have got to have shed loads right now....confidence breeds success and a win over Rotherham may well see us top of the league this time next week. We've had a tough start to the campaign but sailed through the first two games easily.

Wolves last season built up a head of steam and cruised to promotion (not saying it wasn't based on a lot of very hard work).

Yes this is Leeds and I'd never bet my mortgage on any league game ...but it feels different this time than last year.

southernwhite and ristac like this.
  14. Leedsoflondon

Is Messi a better player than anyone in our team or is Messi just fitter and faster? Some players have much more natural ability that others otherwise every non-league player would "make it".

15. Poly

Poly Well-Known Member

Messi is a freak

So is CR7

They've both been born with superb hand-foot-eye co-ordination

Neymar too.

But look at Man City - they have a great team but are Kyle Walker and John Stones seriously head-and-shoulders above what we have ?

I watched Arsenal play today - did they have a single player who you'd break the bank for ?

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  16. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not sure if it was on here or somewhere else but I remember making a mention of fine margins. Imagine this scenario, take two brand new teams, two coaches and sign them 11 new players in the £40m price bracket, what makes one team better than the other?

I do believe some players are gifted with a natural talent and I guess if you take that equation out then we should all be equal so what makes one succeed and another fail?

Lots of equations to take into account but a bit deep for me trying to figure it out at this time of a Sunday evening <ok>

17. Poly

Poly Well-Known Member

There's an old saying in sport - A Champion Team will beat a Team of Champions.

Leicester City (or dare I say Leeds United in 1991-92) were a team of fairly average players who won the league playing as a team.

In a team playing to its full potential an average player looks good and a good player looks great.

Does anyone really think Danny Drinkwater is a £40 million player ? - But three years ago, he looked a world beater.

18. davy

davy Well-Known Member

About £30k a week.

100 posts in 7 years Poly (Many?) and suddenly prolific, what triggered your precipitate increase in output ?

Your posts today hardly argue reticence to stick your head above the parapet . :bandit:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    wakeybreakyheart and OLOF like this.
  19. Leedsoflondon

So do you think Felix is as good a goalkeeper as BPF? Was it just bad coaching that made him fail or are others simply 'better' than him regardless?

20. Poly

Poly Well-Known Member

I didn't realize anyone was counting and I think the difference in pay between our guys and those of Man City is a bit more than £30k p/week

Not trying to be contentious or provoke argument, but I do think that most managers are over-rated...

Jose Mourinho is the worst kind of manager - he buys, buys, buys.

He's bought two centre backs in Eric Bailly and Victor Lindelof. But now he "needs" another...it seems those in charge are saying to him "what's wrong with the ones you already have?"

Bielsa is a breath of fresh air. Actually coaching the players to play better.