1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Pompey v Plymouth

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by Wooperts_duck, Sep 16, 2022.

1. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Reading snippets of information from the BBC and on here, it seems we should have scored more in the first half as it was inevitable that Plymouth would be more competitive in the second period. In the context of the match, was it two points lost or a point won? At least Pompey have proved they are capable of digging themselves out of a hole.

On another issue, this two week break might alllow players some respite and to get over minor knocks and injuries they are carrying, re Tom Lowery and Rafferty.

2. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Cracking game of football that was!

Atmosphere was rocking - nice tribute to the Queen too.

I don't remember us looking like a proper team like that since I've been going down to Fratton fairly regularly (since 2012).

We looked good with some genuine class about us, some great passing, build up play and central midfield play. Pack dominated that area.

We fought really hard and dominated them for 70 mins, although they were always a threat, but just couldn't put the ball in the net.

Should have been probably 3 or 3-1 up.

On 70th minute started to look very leggy, then Rags didn't get himself goalside and headed into his own net.

It was harsh on us and very fortunate on them - but that's football. If you don't take your chances against a good team then you get punished.

All of sudden their tales were up and we were out on our feet - the pressing went and they scored a really easy goal to go ahead - a good goal, but far too easy.

Ogilvie made a last ditch block on the line - ironically as he was one of the players who had just flat lined before that!

Their fans finally made some noise at this point.

What had been a well mannered contest went a bit sour late on as they did everything they could to waste time.

I couldn't actually see what happened in the box but saw one of our players getting thrown over I think?

With the sending off it unsettled their defensive line and we got a late leveller!

What an eruption of noise!

Great game to see I have to say.

We almost got punished for not taking our chances and losing that would have been a kick in the teeth.

I'll take the point in the end!

3. pompeydownunder

pompeydownunder Well-Known Member

Definitely a point gained Ides & Sharpe* This was a six pointer so a loss would have been devastating.
    Our next game is another six pointer with Ipswich but before that Ipswich & Plymouth play each other. Here is hoping for at least a point at Ipswich. Then we will be very much in touch with both teams.
    A draw was probably a fair result, but we did not need too much more luck to win it.
    Plymouth are clearly a good side.
    I hope Lowery's injury is not too serious. He strikes me as a really good acquisition.
    Thanks for the commentary and details as ever Woops..