1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Pompey v Oxford United

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by Wooperts_duck, Mar 24, 2018.

1. pompeydownunder

pompeydownunder Well-Known Member

Good to hear it from someone who was there Eastney - particularly the point about the central pairing. Television is a essentially ball watching and the wider off the ball picture is lost. Evans seems to have played as either an attacking mid fielder or right back. Could he be the work horse - more defensive mid fielder - we require?
    Tampegate
    HI Meowth. After 45 years downunder I still support England so you can imagine it has not been a great summer for me down here! I am certainly no apologist for the Aussie cricket team.
    However, I see the ball tampering as a natural progression of the way things have been going. Achieving reverse swing with an old ball has been a revered skill for perhaps 20 years now. But to swing the old ball in the opposite direction to a near new ball something has to radically change and the change is the addition of moisture to the rough side of the ball - usually sweat. This is a rarely mentioned fact but clearly it is ball tampering. It has been allowed to persist, perhaps because it makes the game more interesting (there are far fewer drawn test matches nowadays). So how do you make the ball absorb more moisture on one side? - you roughen the surface!
    Now the Aussies have made this stupidly obvious (there were apparently 30 cameras at match) but it has been happening for a long time and has been more subtly practised by most sides. Sure the guilty Aussies should suffer but wider reforms are needed.

EastneyPFC likes this.
  2. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Lost my WiFi since Saturday thanks to BT not sending through my new hub, so couldn't come on here until now ! <doh>

I enjoyed the match - a good attendance of 17,892, bearing in mind the game was being televised live on Sky. Good atmosphere from both sets of fans.

As Eastney has said, we started off the better team, putting in some lovely crosses into the Oxford box, but they came into the game more as the match progressed. I didn't see the foul which led to their penalty, but Mowatt's shocking miss led to the shenanigans where he struck out at Nathan Thompson. The law says you can't raise your hands at another player, so I have no sympathy at all for the fact he was rightly sent off by the referee. Serves him right - he let his team mates down, and deserves the three match ban.

Very impressed with Jamal Lowe, his two excellent crosses led to both of Brett Pitman's goals. We have missed Brett whilst he was out injured, and his return from injury has led to four goals in the last two matches, taking his season's tally to 19 goals.

Our team formation is impressive going forward, and our defence with Matt Clarke and Jack Whatmough as centre backs, looks solid.

Happy Days :emoticon-0148-yes:

EastneyPFC and pompeydownunder like this.
  3. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Match highlights.....