1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pompey tonight...

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, Dec 29, 2022.

1. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I agree with this, we don't make tactical changes uptop enough, yesterday was crying out to have 2 strikers on the pitch but McKenna just changed the personnel and it made little difference in the momentum of the game. We swapped Ladapo for Jackson and they still looked isolated. There have been times this season where we've been dominating possession and you think come on McKenna put another striker uptop for the last 20 minutes to ruffle the defenders up. The best performance I have seen from us under McKenna (and probably the most complete performance ive seen in 20 years) he played 2 upfront against Gillingham.

2. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

I agree with PTC & Spanish on this 2 upfront issue. At times, our games have cried out out for KM to bring on another striker. Jackson was hopeless wen he came on. Ditto upping the tempo from our fine passing game to a more forceful attack minded, and shooting for goal. Most teams now know how to park the bus against us and just watch us prettily spray the ball around but no real threat. Woolfy was the stand out man, drove forward from defense and often got good pass into the box.

Spanish and Redruth like this.
  3. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Some of our play in the defensive and middle third was outstanding on Thursday problem is by the time we'd got the ball towards the final third like many teams do Portsmouth were set in their positions making it very hard to break down.

Think we should take a bit out of the Joe Royle style of play and sometimes go direct and play the football off the second ball meaning the opposition aren't set in their defensive positions. I'm not necessarily saying play lots of long balls just get the ball forward quicker (of which long balls are a part). It clearly doesn't look like something we work on because we don't look particularly good at it although I think that's mainly because we only play long balls when we have no other choice.

I can't believe it's something I'm saying we should be doing more of, I just don't think in some games we do enough to disrupt the opposition backline and pull defenders out of position

Southcoastoldgaffer and Redruth like this.
  4. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

In my opinion KMc should stick to his principles.In, what,a year,he’s transformed us from upper mid-table to serious automatic promotion contenders?Let’s have a bit of patience and perspective.

San Diego, Nuggets and Redruth like this.
  5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

I think it’s promotion or bust. Can we keep the likes of Morsy, Evans and Walton in League One?

Roystonblue and itfcptc like this.
  6. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

We all know where we are, and fully appreciate the transformation of our club and the way we play. And how much more we are enjoying our footie.
    Trouble is, this raises the bar in our expectations. We have all been patient for many years but we dont have a divine right to get out if this godforsaken league. If we dont make the greener pastures, I do think several top players will leave us.

We now need a good run of results to stamp ourselves in auto places.

My only NY wish is for a top target man.

I will always be a Townie.

itfcptc and Redruth like this.