1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

And I read that Michael Gove can't get the EU to re-negotiate a new exit deal. What does he expect? The EU said the last negotiations were the end, and they are standing by it. And they are standing by their words for their own good. They would rather we buggered off now, because we've screwed everybody around long enough. And we continue to screw around to our own deeper detriment.

Just tear up Article 50, say sorry, and let's get this fcuking mess over.

Will someone somewhere just come to their bloody senses on this.? They are gambling with the fortunes of 65 million people in the UK alone and they are in way over their heads.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  2. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

They want us to take 'no deal' from the table, and we are refusing. Surely that is a good thing if we are to negotiate anything half positive from this mess? Its already bad, but it can be a whole lot worse.
    (damn it, said I wouldn't post on this thread till its done)

Brinkworth Saint likes this.
  3. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

Government is going on about wanting the EU to change stance and get rid of the backstop but what are they wanting the EU to change its stance to? What is this alternative that allows open borders without a customs union or a border between NI and the UK (backstop)?

Onionman likes this.
  4. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

Magic.

thereisonlyoneno7 and davecg69 like this.
  5. TheSecondStain

Firstly, if you watch Youtube, you may know Joe Rogan [who am I kidding, who doesn't know who Joe Rogan is?], and I surprised myself by subscribing to him a couple of years ago because I'd previously thought he was a thug. Actually, he does have a small profile of the thug, but he's not in truth. Actually, he's a thoughtful guy who swears a fair bit when he gets passionate about something. And he will talk with anyone.
    Secondly, you may have heard of Universal Basic Income [UBI]. Occasionally, it raises its pretty head on chat. And mostly, people don't get the idea, so they automatically pooh-pooh it. But a year or so back I started to be curious about it, because I noticed that significant numbers of people are going to be losing their jobs, within the next 5-10 years [an earlier post]. Whilst I didn't produce figures, you only have to search online for jobs, unemployment and automation and it doesn't take long to find articles predicting loads of people losing their jobs through technology, automation and AI. Well, here is a very interesting interview on what we could do rather than just accept that the rich will take everything and the rest of us will be scrabbling over bugger all left. I think this is from Feb 2019:

6. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

We want them to essentially betray Ireland, one of their members. They have made it clear from the beginning that they will not do so.

Our government should be ashamed of themselves anyway, considering the history of the two countries, for being willing to make risk imposing a border on Ireland again.

davecg69 likes this.
  7. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

Risking the troubles kicking off again is too dreadful to contemplate, and for that reason alone, article 50 should be dropped right now. Of course, Cameron and May will not be held ultimately accountable anyway, just as Blair wasn`t for Iraq. This isn`t a game.

davecg69, fatletiss and Archers Road like this.
  8. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

My nephew who lives near Poitiers has said the very lovely Mrs Godders:emoticon-0115-inlov and I can stay in his gite for free should we leave without a deal. He says we should be able to escape the riots and food shortages and we can return home once the mob has lynched Farage, Johnson, Gove and Cummings and things have stabilised again.

davecg69 likes this.
  9. Archers Road

The mob won't lynch Farage and Johnson, they'll worship them the way they worshipped Julius Caeser and Nero. Parliament will have to stab them both to death, because the mob certainly won't do it.

10. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

If the troubles kick off in NI again, maybe one side of the Irish will have another go at a Tory government.

11. Archers Road

Yeah, they’ll miss like they did last time.

The devil protects his own

12. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I’m sure you’re tongue in cheek StB, but I wouldn’t wish that on anyone, even in jest.

davecg69 and ChilcoSaint like this.
  13. TheSecondStain

Honestly, if I had that opportunity Godders, I would go and then make arrangements about not coming back.

fatletiss and davecg69 like this.
  14. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

statue in Berlin - politicians discussing global warming

15016198_10209482283645720_9182341850012293593_o.jpg

15. TheSecondStain

That's very powerful. It's not just any politicians though. It's those in the pockets of the major polluters. I believe that if we can get the major indirect polluters, like the oil and gas companies, the auto-makers, etc, to transition away from their main business, I think the minor polluters will begin to fall into line. And nobody will want to be associated with companies that continue to pump crap into the atmosphere and water system. Got to start doing it quickly though.

The Ides of March likes this.
  16. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Me too ...... I’m still trying to find somewhere I could legally move to ......

fatletiss and TheSecondStain like this.
  17. SaintinSerbia

18. TheSecondStain

H.G. could certainly set up a story. You know that's going to be a page turner.

davecg69 likes this.
  19. SaintinSerbia

With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over matter

H.G. Wells 1898

StJabbo1 and davecg69 like this.
  20. TheSecondStain

Yeah sorry, you were making an important point and I was getting lost in the great prose. Absolutely. Humankind was never more confident of its apparently mastery over the Earth during the Victorian times. Ignorance can produce over-confidence, and did. Still does.