1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I very much agree with your impression. Because they are having a relatively calm, rational conversation.
    This is why I don't like opinionated news reporting. I remember many years back, discovering that, for the umpteenth time, a presenter had gone back to a reporter and asked for their opinion. To a certain extent, this was all very well when the reporter was assessing a war zone, for example. But when reporters give opinions on political and ideological matters, that is when it gets dangerous. which is why I write about people being sheep or having a herd instinct, because they soak this stuff up like it is gospel. By all means agree with an important opinion, but be sure of what one is thinking.

So, for example, I am a person who wants the world to come together and cooperate. Not be in eternal competition. That's incredibly difficult for some [those] people to get their heads around, as they have been trying to gain an advantage all their lives. They are separatists. That's how they think. But the fundamental flaw in their thinking is that if some people win then others have to lose - and that is outdated thinking. We will not solve world problems by taking advantage of others. We can ALL take advantage of the opportunity, but unless we make sure that everybody gets the benefit, we're fcuked, and back to square one.

So, as they explain, when the BBC charts a line which leads to a federalist Europe, I'm there. They don't do it from an ideology standpoint. It's just bloody common sense to come together.

I could go on for ages but I'll stop there. Snacks to make, wine to sip, etc... We'll have to have a good chinwag about what we want to see in the future [not what we don't want] and see how much consensus there is among us.

EDIT: Just read that back. Very unstructured semi rant. There was some sense in there at the time.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  2. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

3. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I think you meant 23 years Beddy. By which time you and I will have departed this Universe!!

Beddy and TheSecondStain like this.
  4. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

davecg69 and ChilcoSaint like this.
  5. StJabbo1

I'm seeing various reports of Spaffer Johnson's connection with CTF a lobbying company run by Lynton Crosby associated with a number of dubious clients. They to are said to have given him an interest free loan for "expenses". Also promoted a no deal brexit with anonymous media seedings on FB. More to come on this one I think.

davecg69 likes this.
  6. The Ides of March

Thank you the people of Radnor and Montgomery for sending a Lib Dem, or pro-Remain back candidate to the HoC. A big own goal was scored by the Conservatives with the Brexit party taking over 3,000 votes from the Brexit supporting Tories so well done to those who voted the Brexit party for snatching an undeserved victory from the Conservatives.

davecg69 and VocalMinority like this.
  7. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Apologies if this has been posted before, but it’s John Oliver at his very best:

8. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

9. San Tejón

10. The Ides of March

Did Rabb say his party was going to deliver a "successful" deal? Does this mean that he has ruled out "No Deal?"

TheSecondStain likes this.

11. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

12. San Tejón

13. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

It’s as though they want to re-enact what 1940 would have been like if the Dunkirk evacuation had been a failure.

I refuse to recognise this government as being representative of anyone in this country.

14. StJabbo1

Absofuckingloutly unelected incompetent PM leading an undemocratic cabinet on the road to nowhere. No deal, in fact any brexit no longer the majority.

TheSecondStain and ChilcoSaint like this.
  15. San Tejón

16. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

San Tejón likes this.
  17. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

San Tejón likes this.
  18. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

How hilarious would it be if Sinn ****ing Fein stepped in to save the UK from itself.

19. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

It’s quite likely that a post-Brexit trade deal with the USA would be scuppered by Irish Republican supporters in Congress if the Irish border question wasn’t sorted, which of course it won’t be.

20. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

It certainly would be an act of self-interest rather than mercy (though Brexit would make Irish reunification more likely), but it's mostly that a party that steadfastly refuses to participate in Parliament may be Parliament's only salvation.

Though increasingly I suspect that someone will cross the aisle in short order and bring it down anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. EasyBreezer