1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

They haven't even got any candidates yet. We don't even know if the EU elections will take place yet. Such is the organisation of the present Government it is making Central Governments look supremely efficient. I take this pol with a pinch of salt.

2. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Absolutely, though a fair amount of that seems to be the burning of fuel, etc, things that can be reduced on the back end as well.

There is a huge volume of information available in which the powers-that-be have explained these things. The problem is that the public doesn't really want to know about it.

This is where incentivization is important. You won't get everyone to state that they won't buy a new fuel-burning engine, but you can tip the playing field in favour of electric vehicles. That's where tax credits, raising taxes on gasoline/diesel, carbon pricing and the rest comes into play.

They are not getting thicker, they are getting thinner.

The lack of available fresh water is absolutely a problem, and will become more of a problem over time. Global warming exacerbates that problem, amplifying desertification and soil degradation. This is actually the bigger issue with concrete: the process uses an awful lot of water.

Desalination is going to be regrettably necessary, but reducing the water intensity of farming is going to be hugely important. The Ogallala aquifer in the American Plains may start running dry within a couple decades, and the rivers that feed agriculture in the American west are starting to run dry...in large part because there is little to no snowpack most winters in the mountains that feed the rivers. These are complementary problems requiring complementary solutions.

3. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

A lot of forests are cut down for things like coffee (Millenial's favourite pastime) and biofuels!!! There was an article and a CH4 show about our power stations running on wood pellets that came from US forests that were supposedly eco-friendly yet they never replanted anything.......and burning these wood pellets doesn;t count in the carbon calculations from those power stations either.

The problem we have here is about "appearances." Yes we can move forward making ourselves the angels and brag about it.........but what we would actually be doing is buying stuff from somewhere else that produces the carbon footprint instead. Moving the problem around the world.

I'm not suggesting that we should be saying "we should carry on because they are." Just that it is very naive to bang on about the UK needing to do something while ignoring that business would just move the footprint to another country.

I think most on here know I am all for looking after the forests (including our own) and planting more trees as well. I am also right up there in eco-friendliness, probably more than most of those bottled water swigging protestors in fact. However the reality is that most of those protesting are blissfully unaware of what they are asking for's real consequence, and they celebrate victories that aren't victories.

It would be very interesting for me to see their houses (yes some will be properly eco-friendly) and assess how they live and what they live with compared to myself. They really do go after parts of the argument while willfully (maybe subconciously) ignoring a lot more.

But then I am called a heathen because I think people should be much more locally minded, not use cars so much, not travel so much and buy much more local produce.

One eco arguer the other day talked about how our new power awareness meant that the LED TVs we watch use so much less than the CRTs we used to watch. This however is only true per inch. Our 50" LEDs use the same power in total as the 21" CRT would have "back in the day." LCD uses more. Not many people had mahoosive CRTS like we have LEDs and they didn't have it on all day long either so the truth is our TVs are using more power than back then. Add on the power for the wifi router, the processors used for other smartTV apps like youtube etc.

What maddens me is that when I change energy supplier they insist on a massive DD payment not believing me that it is too much and they will owe me. They just refuse to believe how much my bill will be for a family with 3 kids even when I give them the actual gas and elec KWh. Yet again 6 months in they owe me £300 and we haven't even hit summer yet. They will owe me £700 again at change time like nearly every year.

Brinkworth Saint likes this.
  4. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

you can look at different sources and get different information about the thickness of polar ice, lots of different sources say that the ice is increasing and lots say its getting thinner, who do you believe?
    I did watch a documentary about Glacier Girl, the lost P38 that since it was abandoned on greenland in 1942, had been buried under 282 feet of ice in the 50 odd years until some guy decided to find the lost 8 planes. It took him several years to find the planes as the glacier had shifted 2 miles and they could only get out 1 plane using hot jet water. The P38 Glacier Girl is fully restored and flying at airshows, the guy that originally found the P38 went back a few years later to try to get other planes, 5 P38 and 2 Liberators, but had to admit defeat because they were under even more ice than before.
    The sea level seems to be rising between 2mm and 3.4mm a year , i only said 1 mm as an example of it not scaring most people, even 3mm a year will not get most people concerned, most people would look at it and think 50cm over a 100 years is nothing to be alarmed at. man has been fighting the sea for hundreds of years, the old Southampton Walls used to be the sea front, and 100 years ago the old Toys r Us by the train station would have been in the sea, and the road was the shore line

5. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

That's just how glaciers work. Snow and Ice pile up on top and pushes everything downward and outward, flowing like a slow river. Doesn't mean they're not getting thinner.

That's the same kind of misinformation campaign that populists like to use to muddle the facts in order to let people believe what is most convenient for them to believe. Trumps a master of it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    claytonsaint and ChilcoSaint like this.
  6. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

The polls probably aren’t that far off. 27% of the electorate may well feel strongly enough about Brexit to vote for any party led by the charismatic charlatan that got us here in the first place.

That’s no reason for government to continue ignoring the views of everyone else though, in favour of appeasing that 27%

7. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

From my perspective, Farage is doing the dirty work and is being pushed from behind by some very powerful and obnoxious people. The real danger is within the Tory party and the ERG group. If the Tories get slammed in the local and posible EU elections, this might strengthen the demands of the ERG in trying the get the hardest of Brexit's or no-deal.

davecg69 likes this.
  8. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

What you’re suggesting doesn’t actually fit with reality. Of course the snow and ice gets thicker locally, during winter it’s bloody cold! But watch this short video to see how the overall amount of ice in the Arctic has reduced. A similar picture can be seen in the Antarctic.

VocalMinority likes this.
  9. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Dunno mate. Without Farage’s dubious charisma, the whole Leave bandwagon would have remained in the dark recesses of the Tory party’s extreme Little England wing.

UKIP always were a bunch of fruitcake racist loonies, the Brexit part will be no different - without Farage’s phony bonhomie, and his love affair with the British press, the project would never have had any wings.

The likes of Boris and Gove are bandwagon jumpers btw. Generally only the stupidest Tories were ever pro-Brexit, until recently when some of more cynical recognised it’s potential for career advancement

10. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

You do realise that rising sea levels is not due to the melting of ice? It's thermal expansion that's worrying. Things get bigger (oceans included) as they warm.

I know you're a big believer in Trumponomics so I suspect you've got this nugget from a Trump-supporting website but it's bilge-water of the lowest grade. Maths shows it.

Israelis use about 200L per person per day so it's a good figure for a water stressed nation. 73 cubic metres a year. If all those plants were built you'd be talking about 10.2 billion cubic metres. If all that water vanished from the oceans (surface area 361 million million square metres) then the sea level would drop by 0.02mm.

That's every single person in those countries using only desalinated water for a year and all that water literally disappearing rather than being recycled into the oceans the way things actually work. You need new news sources.

Vin

11. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Absolutely. The melting of the ice caps is very significant for another important reason though, the effect on weather systems. The latent heat required to melt the monumental amounts of ice which is vanishing comes from the oceans, which get cooler and this changes historic ocean currents, which in turn affects things like the North Atlantic jet stream. This explains why we in the UK are experiencing more and more extreme weather events like severe storms and record breaking heatwaves. It also explains the extreme cold and extreme heat in other parts of the world.

davecg69 and Onionman like this.
  12. Brinkworth Saint

Brinkworth Saint Well-Known Member

There’s a lot of sense in the points you make. However the goals set by the ER movement are simply ridiculous, unless they are happy to bring about a total breakdown of society as we know it. Millions of people would be quickly unemployed if their goal: Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025, came about. Getting to work or school, buying food, health management and access to medical care would simply stop for most as the replacement methodology of such daily habits is not within reach either physically or affordability. International trade would simply cease as the current transport to facilitate same could not be used. I’m also pretty sure that the millions of tourists both here and elsewhere will, overall, be highly resistant to such draconian measures preventing further holidays etc. Now I’m also sure that the hard core ER people will say this is all irrelevant given the crisis they claim is upon us. However, unless every single one of us stops using plastic in any form, completely stops using planes, cars, lorries, ships etc., refuses to use electricity produced by anything other than natural sources, or gas, refuses to work in any environment or workplace that includes the use of all the aforementioned facilities/systems etc., their key demand is pure fantasy in the timescale given. That is not to say nothing should be done, of course we must get rid of most of the pollution and pollutants ASAP, but I cannot take seriously their current rationale nor find their methods of protest as anything but as completely unacceptable.

13. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

XR want net zero emissions by 2025. The technology already exists to make huge inroads into our carbon footprint, but no government seems willing to take more than baby steps. If we were at war, the whole of industry would be mobilised to come up with solutions, and society would be restructured to live within the limits the situation demanded. What the XR people are trying to get across is that climate change requires that same kind of universal effort, or we’re all screwed anyway. It’s the unwillingness to stop pandering to the oil lobby, the agrochemical industry, and a host of other vested interests which is unacceptable, not the fact that people are simply pointing out what needs to be done.

San Tejón and shoot_spiderman like this.
  14. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

the water expanding due to he warming of the seas is indeed the reason for the rising seas, this however is not my main problem, my main concern is the long term effect of dumping trillions cubic metres of fresh water into the sea and effecting currents for generations to come.
    my point about desalinisation plants with Israel is not because the people use a lot of water, it is that they have basically turned dessert into some of the most fertile and productive land, and could you imagine if Syria, Egypt, Libya and Morocco went along the same lines and the sheer amount of water would be needed by these countries.
    I do indeed like several things about Trump, maybe if Britain had someone leading Brexit that actually believed in it then you would not be in the middle of this Brexit ****show, I also believe that the NHS is very good thing, free college education is also a very good thing, that global warming is happening so I would consider myself to be fairly central on my politics.

ImpSaint likes this.
  15. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

As Chilco says, the issue is that the extreme denyers and diverters are still driving the mainstream and 'radical' Environmentalistrs are seen as nutters
    There are many different aspects of our environmental impact and argument about the details plays into the hands of the denyers and diverters who continue to fill their pockets with gold. We need to change and may still die trying

Is it not extreme to think human progress can be measured by financial and economic growth based on continuously growing consumption while killing off the natural infrastructure we all rely upon?

Someone who really believes in Brexit? That's Boris and JRM and the reason they're not leading it is because we haven't quite reached the level of insanity here for that to happen. Whereas in the States you reached that level and elected Trump

The ****show IS Brexit, not the attempts to achieve it by a Parliament that has the sense to know it is a ****show

Archers Road and ChilcoSaint like this.
  16. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

What we do need is a rallying person for Remain. One person with a realistic chance of power who says "Yes, we know what a ****ing triumph Brexit is turning out to be, so whatever deal we come up with will be presented to you, the people, in a binding referendum with the option to remain if you prefer". Someone who can move the masses with a vision to sell of all the good things about the EU. Someone who points out that freedom of movement is a good thing not something to be treated like an unexploded bomb. An orator to lead public opinion. Every remain voter (last opinion poll 58%) would get behind them.

Step forwards Jeremy Cor.... oh, hang on.

Vin

17. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

What the actual **** do you think happens when it rains?

The whole point about water is that it is reusable, and water used for irrigation of a desert (not a dessert <laugh>) eventually finds its way back to the sea. Always has, always will.

And as SS says, there is no good about Brexit whatsoever.

18. shoot_spiderman

:emoticon-0148-yes: Took me a while to find the time to watch this

Liking your signature. This is the dilemma of the modern age. I'm often rattling on about the con trick that has convinced so many Brits that as they are now 'middle class' they need to vote for the Tories who so clearly represent their interests <doh>

WTF makes JC more dangerous than JRM to ordinary people?

This really is the Matrix. Take the red pill people !!!

San Tejón likes this.
  19. shoot_spiderman

Stephen Fry?

Onionman likes this.
  20. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Exactly ..... :emoticon-0121-angry

Onionman likes this.