1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

No in actions. More companies are creating and moving management and production to local offices then to head offices

2. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

they are moving people to the new places. Not moving the work to the people in those places. Hurrah, we are saved because a London company has brought it's London workers to Lincoln. praise the lord, hang on, why did the house prices just go up again?

The BBC itself just did this. they moved to Salford because they were trying to tackle being so "London-centric"...........but they took their London workforce with them, and people in Salford have seen housing prices in the area suddenly go up.

3. ImpSaint

I agree with Neville..........although Lincoln City don't have that problem anyway. Its always Saturday or Tuesday.

4. ImpSaint

5. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Correlation and causation look warily at each other from a great distance. I'd suggest looking at the performance of the Eurozone countries before 1999.

ImpSaint likes this.
  6. ImpSaint

Very hard to look at the Eurozone before the Euro and match it up to when the euro replaced all the foreign currencies.

However just taking Germany v UK (against the $) Germany GDP was twice the UK GDP through the early to mid nineties. (Yes probably weak pound/strong DM) but from late96 - 97 to the time the Euro kicks in the UK GDP goes from 56% of Germany's to 75%. Caught up a lot in that 2 and a bit years and yes that might again be due to strengths weaknesses of £ vs DM / Euro.

So is very hard to gauge the whole of the eurozone vs the UK over these periods.

7. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

It's actually quite simple; the numbers in USD equivalent are readily available. The Eurozone was rather stagnant in the eight years prior to the creation of the Euro; after that point, it expanded rapidly. As such, you run into obvious problems when comparing that growth to the growth of other economies: is the growth since 1999 poor, relative to the UK and US, or is it actually pretty good given that growth in the UK/US also outpaced the future Eurozone (which had stagnated badly in the early/mid 90s) from 1985-1999? Perhaps there are other factors at play there?

BackFromBeyond and ImpSaint like this.
  8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

That young lady wasn’t MP when I lived in Wigan..... shame.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  9. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Imps - put this in the general football thread. Not everyone looks in here and I think this would be a welcome post.

10. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

I don’t think I’m misreading you. I’m saying you’re talking about how some people talk about the problem rather than concentrating on the problem. It’s a bit like wanting to talk about Abu Hamza every time Islamaphobia is raised

11. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

So both people moving into london and away from london are both bad?
    Honestly Imps your Cynicism blinds you when it comes to anything economical. Infrastructure is a big net producer of jobs and there's very good reasons why all roads lead to Rome as it were. Biggest being that goods and services moving up and down a supply chain is the very basis of industry, and those supply line nearly always go from decentral (which can be anything from a farm to a city) to central (anything from a village to a London or the US even) and back again.

Even when 2 sites lower in the chain need to send goods to eachother, its often more efficient to send everything in bulk to a central location. merge it with everything else that needs to go to those locations and send everything in bulk back again.

12. StJabbo

StJabbo Well-Known Member

'Representative' Democracy. Quote by Edmund Burke :

“Your representative owes you not only his industry, but his judgement, and he betrays instead of serving you if he sacrifices it to your opinion”.

Below cut and pasted from comments on a Guardian post on Facebook re the billboard campaign by Led by Donkeys (@ByDonkeys). It sums up pretty well my opinion of our parliaments handling of the referendum from concept to the situation we find ourselves in today.

For our Government to blindly follow a very small majority of those who voted, in an advisory referendum, using a hugely oversimplified question, concerning a vastly complex and far-reaching decision on our basic National Economic, Social and Security Interests, represents the exact antithesis of and massively undermines that tradition of 'Representative' Democracy.

13. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Absolutely spot on SJ, couldn’t have expressed it any better. And I’m borrowing that Burke quote if you don’t mind!

14. StJabbo

StJabbo Well-Known Member

Go right ahead it's spot on. Do have a look, if you haven't already, at the posters @ByDonkeys
    Yeah right Dr Fox
    please log in to view this image

15. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

What I want to know though is are we entering Eurovision this year?

Archers Road and Saints_Alive like this.
  16. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Got even less chance of winning it now!...nil point

17. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

You clearly don’t understand the benefits of being white and think your experience in Columbia is the same as the average black persons in the US or UK

18. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Thats a bit of a general comment surely ?? There are certain parts of the country where the Afro is picked on more than others granted. Not as a general rule though surely. Also I really cannot think why you would compare us to the US. From my experience it is far worse over there. Especially in the South..........

Velcro Roy likes this.
  19. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

And yet another Brexit campaigner is leaving the sinking ship. Seriously, how can so many “ordinary” men and women believe Brexit will be good for us, when so many high profile, wealthy people are removing themselves and/or their businesses from our shores?

20. ImpSaint

She's a politician talking a lot about "treating fans" properly. Mainly about ticket prices etc but I like Neville Southall's reply.