1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Any Brexit deal which means a hardening of border regulations between NI and ROI is bound to increase support for unification, I would think.

Archers Road likes this.
  2. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

I know, the poll result for that question is simply nationalism which is why i added the if you believe it qualifier. i dont.

3. VocalMinority

it annoys me that they did a feel it right to go ahead question on brexit for remainers there but a changed mind question for leavers, so you cant tell what the change of support is like for brexit or what support for a second referendum is like. Those are clearly completely different quetions and yet ashcroft compares them. Not wanting another referendum is completely different to what they would vote for in another referendum.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  4. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

Ashcroft is a remainer. He doesn't want to ask remainers if they have changed their mind. He wants to show some leavers have. Hence that question only shows 4% of leavers have changed their mind without showing if any remainers have changed their mind. Polling is used to influence things. It now gives remainers an argument of "that 4% puts us in the lead now."

I'm unclear whether that includes NI votes though. It says simply "GB."

5. VocalMinority

GB means it excludes ireland i think. dont see why it would exclude NI.
    I took it the opposite view and thought he was supporting a conservative government by not listing leavers or neutrals who think it best to have a second vote to make sure its actually what we want. since his title is "get on with it".

I also just noticed that 3% of people who identified as leavers (presumably in an earlier question) voted in the i voted to remain categories, and 2% remainers saying they voted to leave.

5% is quite a high **** up value, higher than the difference in the original vote!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    ImpSaint likes this.
  6. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

There are only 17% of "didn't vote" don;t know which is way short of how many actually didn't vote too.

Not sure you can read much into his title nor his party allegiance. Although I just found out he came out for "leave"......................the day before the vote. lol. Maybe he saw something in the polling.

7. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

8. SaintinSerbia

9. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

That’s funny! <laugh>

milton archer likes this.
  10. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Her face and eyes tell the story.
    When she is prepared for what is coming, she can throw out prepared statements and/cliches.
    When she isn’t prepared she goes full goldfish.

11. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

Indeed. She’s just so robotic and humourless. Love or hate them, the likes of Cameron or Blair would have defused that easily by smiling, laughing and making some sort of joke in reply.

fatletiss likes this.
  12. San Tejón

13. SaintinSerbia

she makes me want to puke (I could only bear it with the sound turned off)

14. VocalMinority

Just looking at the government's plans for giving EU citizens settled status and these 3 question which the government going on about how simple they are which includes that they have to prove they lived in the UK for 5 years and all I can think is windrush...

I really hope they mean what they say in that the default position is they stay and that means the government has to prove that they aren't living here and not the other way around...

Archers Road likes this.
  15. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

Well it took several months and the purchasing a new full birth certificate before the NHS would accept I had a right to work in this country for my new job this year.

I was born here, have never worked abroad and (ironically) receive an NHS pension after 30yrs as a nurse.

So I wish them luck with this one!

16. San Tejón

I agree, in principle, to paying more tax if it is used to protect the NHS, (although the increase per annum the Tories are proposing will still leave it struggling), but if major companies were to pay their taxes, it wouldn’t need to come to this.
    Netflix seems to be the latest company avoiding paying it’s share, and even conjured up a £175k tax rebate for accounts ending 2017!!!!!

Their argument seems to be that they are raising VAT, for the country, and employing people in their programmes etc, who will be paying taxes, so why should they.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/netflix-receives-175k-tax-rebate-12754449

17. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Wanted! A Conservative politican to lead Popular Partido. Just perfect for Boris Johnson.

ImpSaint likes this.
  18. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Haha. You guys are so ****ed. Of course, so are we.

So you guys gonna throw your lot in with Russia or China? I would prefer China, I guess but it looks like Russia already bought the vote.

19. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Russia is doing a great job of running the World Cup, so ****it, why stop there?

Both history and geography point to a fruitful UK/Russia alliance. After all, the two nations saved Europe in 1812 and 1945.

20. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Am I right in thinking this was "Armed Forces Weekend?" To think it was instituted by Tony Blair when the flack was flying around regarding the UK´s involvement in Iraq. It was a brilliant move to deflect criticism away from politicians and their crass decisions.

Next we´ll probably have a "British Day" to celebrate what, I do not know. If there is a British Day it should be around the middle of September to honour the opening of the Liverpool- Manchester railway line. Or a day to celebrate the achievements of our fantastic engineers like Isambard Kingdom Brunel, or our scientists like Newton, Darwin and Stephen Hawkin. Then we have our wonderful writers Shakespeare, Dickens, JK Rowling, Ben Elton. Then of course there´s music and comedy. This is what a "British Day" should celebrate. Honour the military on their special day, and rightly so, but we need a day to remind us of our engineering, science and the arts.