1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

Thanks. That helps:huh:

Re. the voting, yes its a similar system. The other thing is that its a bit like 'Yes Minister' in big size. Its the unelected officials who seem to hold the real power. How many civil servants work for the EC.........about half of them!

2. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Well-Known Member

legalise weed now!

3. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Galloway or Hunt.....
    Boris or Cameron
    UKIP or Osborne

Etc... etc...

Both sides have great people representing it.....

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  4. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I am really torn. There are pros and cons to both staying and leaving the EU. Currently, I'm probably about 55% on the side of leaving the EU and 45% on staying.

5. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

Put me in power and I'll legalise all drugs. Take the power and money away form them in an instant. Vote Vin for Victory.

Vin

P.S. I don't do any drugs ever so no personal interest.

6. Onionman

Now there's an idea for the ballot - rather than in/out, a percentage vote. I could vote 98/2, you could vote 45/55. Or a ballot paper with a line printed on it and you have to mark how close you want to be to Europe.

Vin

7. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

As I think someone has already said. The Tory government need someone to keep them in check, and (it may be scare mongering) I have already read that workers rights, that are already being diminished, would be at an even greater risk, outside of the EU. When you include Tory plans to move boundaries, in order to improve their chances of staying in control, at the next UK election(s), the average man in the street really needs to get to grips with the dangers to them.

Laz-ee saint likes this.
  8. Onionman

That's somewhat disingenuous. The Boundary Commission is an independent body set up to keep (amongst other things) constituencies at a similar number of voters. People move, so boundaries need to change and there is a review about every ten years. The last one was in 2007 so it's around the time for another review.

To say the review is in order to improve their chances is bending the facts to suit an agenda somewhat.

Vin

[Edit: from Wikipedia:
    Once a Commission has completed a review, it submits a report to the appropriate Secretary of State who puts forward legislation to the Parliament implementing the recommendations. Parliament may approve or reject these recommendations, but may not amend them. If Parliament approves the recommendations, then the Sovereign signs an Order formalising the boundary changes which are to be used at the next general election. Any by-elections use the pre-existing boundaries.

Although for many years the legislation gave the Secretary of State power to modify a Commission’s recommendations, this power was never exercised. This separates boundary making by a combination of structure and convention from those elected from the resulting electoral areas, thus significantly reducing any scope for gerrymandering.]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    Negative Creep likes this.
  9. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

Now here's another thought alot of those that will vote wont have a clue where Europe is!! :emoticon-0145-shake

Onionman and Archers Road like this.
  10. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

Assuming, of course, that you think there is a better alternative!

11. It’s Only A Game

It’s Only A Game Well-Known Member

That's a beautiful picture you've painted there man :emoticon-0176-smoke.Peace.

12. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

<laugh> even Abdy Burnham couldn't keep a straight face there.

Velcro Roy likes this.
  13. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

UKIP's out song.

Ok this has made me vote out...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    OddRiverOakWizards and Onionman like this.
  14. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Archers Road likes this.
  15. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Well, seeing as no one else has posted anything from the centre ground yet...

Tim Farron - leader of the Liberal Democrats - making a passionate case for staying in the EU.

I quite like Tim (I find him honest, sincere and a good speaker), so I make no apologies for posting his views in here.

This is from an episode of BBC Question Time, focusing on EU, immigration and the politics of fear.

ChilcoSaint and West Kent Saint like this.
  16. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Who is he?

17. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Very good! :)

18. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Shame both sides will use fear to get votes.

19. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

The whole thing will be driven by racism hidden behind the agenda of immigration. I was talking to some people in Andover the other day who were telling me immigration was destroying the country. Goodness knows where they got that idea from. It certainly wasn't from first hand experience. You don't see a black face or an eastern European anywhere near the place. We live in a vibrant exciting cosmopolitan city with people from all over the world and Southampton is the better for it. What really worries me is what will happen to all my friends who have decided to live in France and Spain, my cousin moved to Italy only 18 months ago what will happen to her. What about my nephew who has married a young French girl and has two children. What about my very good friends among whom there are Spanish, Hungarian and Germans? Are we going to kick them out? I like to take the ferry to France for a holiday and serious food and wine shopping. What will happen to all those German cruise ships that come into Southampton and bring jobs and prosperity to Southampton? I have become a true European and the tragedy is that the whole EU edifice will be brought down by the little Englander mentality and racism and it fills me with horror. I am already convinced that I can do nothing else but vote to stay in for the sake of my friends, my family and my prosperity.

20. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

And this also applies to message boards... image.jpeg

Archers Road and ChilcoSaint like this.