1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't assassination come under the personal rather than presidential acton therefore being indictable?

Agree it's an awful decision can it be appealed?

2. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

TBH I do understand where the Supreme Court is coming from. Looking at it as a role rather than an individual person, the president has to be able to make tough decisions without the threat of prosecution. I do think a president has to be immune from prosecution when performing official acts. However, I do query the Supreme Court's definition of official acts. I do not consider asking the DoJ to look at the results of an election an official act. Or what he says in person or on social media.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  3. StJabbo1

The hush money. https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cw4yp9g7ynwo
    "A letter sent by Trump's lawyers to the New York judge presiding over the trial reportedly cites Monday's Supreme Court ruling that granted the former president immunity from prosecution for official actions he took while in office.

He signed off the records during his White House tenure in 2017, which his lawyers say should be taken into account.

Last year lawyers similarly argued that the allegations in the case involved official acts within the colour of his presidential duties.

However, a federal judge wrote that Trump had failed to show that his conduct was "for or relating to any act performed by or for the President under [colour] of the official acts of a president"

The fraud conviction for falsifying the worth of his businesses should also stand as being outside the official acts of a president. Likewise the allegations of attempts to illegally overturn the 2020 presidential election result that gave victory to Joe Biden.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  4. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

The Supreme Court could very easily have clarified that the official business of the president does not extend to anything related to the president's own private businesses or to their campaigns to run for re-election.

5. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Another Reform candidate defects to the Tories, claiming that most of their candidates are a bunch of racists. They've only realised this now?

6. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

7. Shandy_top_89

Shandy_top_89 Well-Known Member

First final pollster prediction from Survation is absolutely mad.

Lab 484
    Con 64
    Lib Dem 61
    SNP 10
    Reform 7
    Plaid 3
    Green E&W 3

I find that very hard to believe, despite how much I want to.

That said it is still utterly wild that a pollster has put that out there as their final prediction, there must be a degree of confidence behind it because it would be embarrassing for them if it falls wildly out of margin of error.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2024 at 11:42 PM
    OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  8. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

What do you mean by first full pollster prediction? Compared to what so far?

I wonder if it will almost be worse to have the conservatives squeak into opposition by 3 seats compared to getting there comfortably by like 40 odd. The fewer seats for them the better but we could really do with them not actually being able to set the agenda as opposition. Their funding falls and the Lib Dems might steer more of a course towards closer EU ties

StJabbo1 likes this.
  9. Shandy_top_89

Shandy_top_89 Well-Known Member

Meant to say final instead of full.

I feel it is still extremely unlikely, but the Lib Dems being in opposition would certainly change the atmosphere of politics in this country for a time.

StJabbo1 and OddRiverOakWizards like this.
  10. StJabbo1

7 reform seats, I hope less, makes nonsense of the gate mouthed gobshite being a credible opposition leader.

11. StJabbo1

12. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

13. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Am I the only person who didn’t know that the UK imported electricity from Norway and the EU?
    No wonder utility prices are still so high in the UK.

National Grid has said the UK is unlikely to suffer power blackouts this winter. However, that is partly because of the need to import electricity via undersea high-voltage cables from the EU and Norway.

Britain is on track to import nearly 36TWh (trillion watt hours) this year, 46% higher than the previous record of 24.6TWh in 2021.

This would be higher than the planned output of Hinkley Point C nuclear power station being built in Somerset.

French firm EDF is expected to sell most of the surplus power from its plants to the UK in the coming months.

Osvaldorama likes this.
  14. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Yes we are run by absolute idiots that think we can generate power from a couple of wind turbines.

(lol)

15. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's ridiculous. We've been demolishing coal power stations for years without replacing them with equally reliable sources of energy. One of the few sensible things Liz Truss said as PM was that we should build a new batch of nuclear power stations.

Osvaldorama likes this.
  16. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

7 MPs would be quite impressive for party that's only existed for 5 years or so. The Green party have been around for decades without getting that number.

And even Farage hasn't claimed he'll have the second largest number of MPs. Reform have been quite clear they have a two election strategy. They want a handful of seats now, which guarantees them a higher profile and a certain level of media coverage, and a larger number of second place finishes. Then as the Labour government inevitably becomes less popular they'll make the "See, we told you. Labour and the Tories are essentially the same. We're the real alternative." argument while also flipping the current Sunak message by telling people not to waste their vote on the Tories. They may also benefit from the voting age dropping to 16. Reform are surprisingly popular among teenagers.

Osvaldorama likes this.
  17. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Says someone who ignores the fact that in 2023 more than 40% of the electricity in the UK came from renewable energy sources, wind, solar, hydroelectric, and bioenergy. Wind power alone generated 29% of the total electricity requirement.

Lol

18. Gregm1988

I wonder what you would find if you add up all of the free media coverage reform has received in just this election cycle compared to the greens in their entire existence. I’d expect you will find the reform coverage exceeds that of the greens. And that’s before you factor in all of the oversized coverage Farage and his various outfits has been granted in the past 10 years or so. What I’m saying is that it’s not exactly comparing like with like

You also have reform squeezing the very unpopular incumbent from the opposite side to its main oppositions. Something the greens haven’t had a chance to do

If we ever exist in a world where the greens get a spokesperson or someone who strongly represents their issues on nearly every question time for a decade and we have a similar period of Labour government then you can reasonably compare. But that won’t happen for a whole list of reasons

I’m not saying it won’t be impressive. And I actually thing the greens would still get fewer that reform in a reverse scenario because we seem naturally more wary of “further” left than “further” right politics - even though are broadly centre/centre left as a country. Also mostly because the greens are honest about all the tax rises their policies will require where as reform’s plans are absurd and completely uncosted and will blow such a hole in the finances that it would be another Truss type event. They seem to want to massively reduce taxes on pretty much everyone. But also make loads of reforms that cost money.

19. Gregm1988

In that case if that’s only from a couple then we only need a couple more! Bish bash bosh - job done. Next on the list ? :p

20. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Are you familiar with the First Law of Thermodynamics Os? Or Lavoisier’s Law?

Conservation of energy pretty much guarantees that harnessing energy from natural processes is readily achievable if the will to research and develop it is there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. Hadz13