1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I suppose, after Johnson was binned, they had to get behind someone else to further disrupt the country.

2. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Yes, of course. We get it.

No one could possibly have different opinions to you without being a “conspiraloon” , a “far right racist” or working for Russia.

3. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Well I don't know if you work for Russia but you certainly tick the first two labels.

4. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

<laugh><laugh> Of course mate, of course

5. San Tejón

Oops. Still going to sue them Nigel?

upload_2024-6-20_13-6-7.png

6. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Please can you refrain from accusing someone of being a racist without any concrete evidence. I haven't seen any posts from Os that can be deemed as racist. If I had Os wouldn't be posting on here, it's as simple as that.

7. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I should have deleted racist, apology to Os.

8. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

So is it accepted that Os is a "conspiraloon"? <laugh>

shoot_spiderman and Archers Road like this.
  9. ......loading......

I can't wait for these Tories who can't even call an election without getting arrested for betting on it spill the beans about how Covid was a lie, their subservience to the WEF overlords, the secret Leftist agenda to make all the men women and all the women men and turn all of them gay at the same time, the fact we tricked Russia into invading Ukraine to fund our arms industries, etc..

And then I can't wait for Starmer to transform into the ghost of Lenin and destroy the world with extremist left-wing ideologies like giving people the right to a library and other barbaric nonsense like that!

I just can't wait! It will be so exciting seeing all these right-wingers being proven right!

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  10. San Tejón

Listening to a bit of James O’Brien on LBC and the Tories changed their statement from “2 members betting and 1 police officer” to “a small number” plus the police officer.
    Be interesting to see what the final count is.

11. ......loading......

Mate, all politicians are the same. The ones who have been caught lying, thieving and committing fraud are just as good as the ones who have given their whole lives to achieve social change. It is all a myth, politics! All controlled by global cabal and if you try to reveal them you get executed by being put in a bathroom with a trans woman!

12. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

This is all rather silly and shows you don't understand the Blairite New Labour project that ran out of steam under Gordon Brown and which Starmer is about to revitalise.

New Labour was intended as a radical new force in British politics.The “project” was infinitely more revolutionary than anything proposed by Jeremy Corbyn or his supporters. New Labour sought political hegemony: winning power and locking out the Tories to ensure that the 21st century was a Labour century with Labour values in contrast to a Tory-dominated 20th century. The ambition was to change the country for good, with changed institutions and values and an active state. The centre of gravity of British politics has moved to the left as a result of New Labour. The Tories now compete with Labour to put more money into the NHS. They try to go one step further than Labour on gay rights by introducing gay marriage. Far from wanting to abolish the minimum wage as they used to, the Tories now try to do one better and introduce a national living wage. There is a new settlement and New Labour created it.

13. ......loading......

Oh they did a really bad job of that then. 13 years and their nefarious plots all failed.

Absolute nonsense.

14. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

You may think it's nonsense but I'm afraid you're wrong. I'm afraid that post was a trap. The second paragraph is made up of almost word-for-word extracts from this 2015 article written by Peter Hyman, who worked for Tony Blair as a speech writer and policy adviser and is currently working for Keir Starmer.

15. ......loading......

I am going to go into this just because I can't bring myself to reply with derision and not explain why. However, this post is so much nonsense I snorted my Maggie Thatcher Milk Snatcher Milk out of my nose.

"New Labour was intended as a radical new force in British politics." Of course it was. That is why it was called New Labour. But you are missing a point. The leftist idea was so dead, so utterly, utterly dead that Labour had to rebrand as New Labour and move to a more central position to get elected.

"The “project” was infinitely more revolutionary than anything proposed by Jeremy Corbyn or his supporters. New Labour sought political hegemony: winning power and locking out the Tories to ensure that the 21st century was a Labour century with Labour values in contrast to a Tory-dominated 20th century." I don't think you can be as young as this comment makes you sound. I can only assume you are an ardent Tory as this is breathtakingly naïve. I was born in 1979. In 1997 I saw my first non-Tory government. Political hegemony has been abundantly present my whole life. It has been Tory political hegemony, but it has been there. The boundaries are drawn to suit the Tories. The voting system suits the Tories.

The only thing I agree on is that Labour need to allow RP. But parties in power rarely legislate against themselves.

"The ambition was to change the country for good, with changed institutions and values and an active state." I cannot work out what your issue is with this. The left wing movement has always proposed an active state, with institutions that are valued and invested in. That is why people vote Labour. It isn't insidious. It may not be what the right wing like, but it is essential for the viewpoint that society works best when it supports the weakest. That society is built up from the bottom. The truly horrifying life view is that society "trickles down" from the top - which is the explicit Tory philosophy.

"The centre of gravity of British politics has moved to the left as a result of New Labour." Has it? You may be right. I wonder why the aging voting classes - who are more and more in need of good social services - would be pushing the Tory party that way? I wonder why the pandemic might have forced us to look after people more? It is almost as if this is a democracy and the needs of the people have to be met.

I would argue that the political discourse has drifted further and further right. However, politics has had to react to the world and some of our economic policy has had to go left. As the younger generations take over the voting, we will move more that way too. They vote for hope and not selfishness.

"The Tories now compete with Labour to put more money into the NHS. They try to go one step further than Labour on gay rights by introducing gay marriage." Saying you will put more money in and actually doing it are rather different. Austerity politics meant real term cuts to NHS spending. That was ideological. Nothing has changed there. If you have a problem with gay marriage, please say so explicitly.

"Far from wanting to abolish the minimum wage as they used to, the Tories now try to do one better and introduce a national living wage. There is a new settlement and New Labour created it." This is drivel. What you are effectively saying is that New Labour had such fantastic policy that the Conservatives couldn't drop them. Because New Labour have not been in power for more than a decade.

You need to stop smoking so much weed, mate.

16. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

Oh dear.

17. ......loading......

It wasn't a trap. It was an attempt to be clever which didn't work in the slightest. It didn't even respond to my post. You just wanted to slap something you thought sounded good on to something someone lefty had written.

What you are describing is the ambition for a left-leaning British state with strong central institutions and an optimistic outlook, that grows the economy positively and builds from the ground up. Yet somehow you come out of it with conspiracy nonsense about identity politics and giving our money to world banking cabals.

18. ......loading......

And... he pulls an Os!

Bye!

StJabbo1 likes this.
  19. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

"Labour has a secret plot to institute policies that people like enough that future governments can't get rid of them". I mean, sure, you're not wrong. You'd hope that the Tories and the Lib Dems and Reform and the Monster Raving Loony Party also have similar nefarious designs, that's kinda the whole point of governance.

......loading...... likes this.
  20. ......loading......

Keir Starmer on Question Time is showing all the reasons I wish someone else led the party :(