1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

She is the main reason why I no longer watch BBC news reports.
    I no longer watch their political shows either as they are always chaired by people who are connected in some way to the Tory party.
    Having said that, ITV news pick and choose what they want to lead on.
    For example, just over a week ago the government met with nurse unions and ITV chose to show a brief excerpt from a video with a nurse saying positive things about the government meeting them, whilst only briefly mentioning another person who had ranted about how the government were effectively saying that they needed to work harder and more efficiently. If viewers had seen an excerpt from his video it would have shown the viewers a completely different version of how well the talks had gone.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  2. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

She is an embarrassment to British media and politics ……so far right wing it’s embarrassing.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  3. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

4. San Tejón

Zahawi answering questions about the tax thingy. Clears it all up.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  5. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

Zahawi seems to have caught a nasty case of the `Prince` Andrews - denying all guilt, yet promptly pays up when caught to avoid further repercussions. Makes me puke.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  6. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Pedantry alert, but that's James Cleverly trying to cover for Zahawi. Still a shambles though.

7. San Tejón

<laugh><laugh><laugh>
    Oops.
    In my defence, I’m an idiot.

Archers Road and ChilcoSaint like this.
  8. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

You have that in common with James Cleverly

San Tejón and ChilcoSaint like this.
  9. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

The man who gives nominative determinism a bad name.

10. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Very good <laugh>

ChilcoSaint likes this.

11. San Tejón

A civil servant, who called James O’Brien last July, to speak out about the dishonesty he was dealing with from MPs, was sacked.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  12. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

I listened to this live, and I’ve just listened again, because that gentleman, as James said at the end, represents the very epitome of what public service means. He put his own neck on the line to expose corruption and was punished for it. As he said himself, if sacrificing his career had led to a change in the behaviour of the scumbags in power, he wouldn’t feel so bad, but things haven’t changed at all. The snouts are very much still in the trough, with absolutely no regard for the public interest.

I despair that things are far worse than they have ever been in my lifetime, and yet the vast majority of the public are completely oblivious to it. We are now a failed state and a laughing stock in the eyes of the world, and if we have to wait another 2 years before we can vote these utter criminals out, one wonders how much worse things will be by then.

San Tejón likes this.
  13. San Tejón

A bit more about Zahawi with input from the man who exposed his tax situation.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  14. San Tejón

An even better and more revealing interview, about Zahawi.

15. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

The politics thread is consistently at the top of the board with 37,800 posts and almost 1,300,000 views beaten only by the off topic thread (Goodhand Arms) and that has been going two years longer. Interestingly, both more than any to do with football on a football forum. New posts are added every day and are almost exclusively about the UK. So yes, I do think that UK politics are well covered on here.

Not sure what you mean about lack of discussion. Do you mean the other board members should get involved on the politics thread?

16. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

52% voted Brexit because of the amount of airtime given to the likes of Farage and Mogg to spread their ****. For that to happen the BBC and other media outlets have to be held responsible. I will draw a contrast here with the Balearic TV channel, IB3, which is transmitted in Catalan. Vox, a far-right party are fielding candidates in the the national and regional elections this year. IB3 had cameras at a press launch last week but as soon as the leader of said party started speaking (in Spanish) IB3 cut the rest and went onto the next news item. If only the BBC had treated Farage and Mogg and the rest as IB3 did with Vox, Brexit would not have happened.

AberdeenSaint likes this.
  17. San Tejón

The point I was making was that comments get posted, about UK politics, but very few people discuss those comments, whereas if someone posts about transgender, Greta Thunberg, Trump et al it becomes a big Willy contest.
    With regards to your comment “Do you mean the other board members should get involved on the politics thread?”, at no time have I said or even suggested that, so why you have is beyond my comprehension.

18. San Tejón

19. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

Big Willy contest to you but important issues to others, but regardless of what you say, anyone can see that UK politics is the main theme of this board.

The regulars on here gather round in the left wing echo chamber and post the same stuff in different ways every day. Just looking through the media to find more reasons to be angry. Everyone agrees with everyone else so how many more similar views do you want to hear? But if you are bemoaning the fact that other than the usual suspects, no one else wants to debate or put up different views then the regulars have only got themselves to blame. Anyone who openly votes Tory, voted for Brexit (God forbid) or even has a different political viewpoint on an issue is made to feel unwelcome. More than that they will have to endure snidey, sarcastic comments from all directions and be accused of gullibility, stupidity and bigotry.
    If you want to listen to people singing from the same song book then that's what you've got but anyone with a different outlook, forget it.

As to your comment at the bottom, you have said that in your view there is a lack of discussion on UK politics on here. It's not stretching things too far to ask if you thought other board members should get involved in the political discussion. Why the snotty reply?

Puck likes this.
  20. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

The Tories are meant to be running the country not running it into the ground FFS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. Hadz13