1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

A very old joke:

Bloke goes for a job as a signalman on the railway.

They ask "What would you do if there were two trains heading towards one another on the same track, each doing 80mph?"

He replies "I'd set the points to move one train onto the other track"

They ask "But what if the points cable has snapped?"

He replies "Then I'd set both trains signals to 'stop'"

They add "But if the signal cables are also damaged"

He thinks for a moment. "I'd go and wake up Stan, my mate".

They ask "Why, could he help?"

He says "No, but he's never seens a bloody great train smash before!"

I feel I'm in the joke.

2. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

3. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

This does put me in mind of a story about an Australian who had been involved in a car crash. When asked if he had fully recovered, he replied:
    "Yeah, the doctors gave me a brain scan and found nothing"

4. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

It’s as though she’s being given minute-to-minute coaching on what to say, but never listens to the end of the sentence.

PMQ’s is going to be comedy gold.

5. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

Vin

I really do not think that Liz Truss will get two years in power should she defeat Rishi Sunak. I have to say that I am elated with the Tory leader election result this afternoon as it is clear where the votes are going to go when the vote is offered to the 160,000 Conservative Party members. A good proportion of the membership are still supportive of Boris and Sunak's role in the former's removal from office will not have been forgotten. Regardless of what the parliamentary party thinks, this is the mirror image of Labour voting for Corbyn. In their heart of hearts, the Tory party faithful will see Truss as the second coming of Margaret Thatcher. I believe that she will win by a country mile - even if you set aside the party membership's causal relationship with racism which will mean curtains for non-white candidates.

As a Labour supporter, I feel that the success of Liz Truss is a godsend. The media will no longer be able to ridicule Dianne Abbott for alleged deficiencies as Liz Truss would trump anyone in parliament whenever it comes to a lack of brains. Even Lavrov humiliates her as a consequence of her stupidity. Liz Truss as PM will get torn apart in PMQs and I think she will be so poor that a lot of people will dispair of politics. The economy is going to tank and I cannot see that there is sufficient on the table to even give her the potential of having any success anywhere. Truss will be spectacularly poor and her woefully inadequate oratory skills will be demolished by the likes of Starmer. Blackford and Starmer. Can you imagine how Nicola Sturgeon will rip Truss apart ? Has any incumbant government ever voted to install a politician who is such a train wreck before ? You could also see Theresa May's credibility rise as Truss struggles to manage the out of control and disfunctional conservatives. There is no doubt about it that this afternoon is a catastrophe for the Conservatives.

I have to say that a Tory government led by Liz Truss will be a catastrophe and I cannot see her lasting 12 months without a vote of no confidence. Her appointment, following on from the corrupt Boris Johnson, has the potential to keep the Tories out of power for the next two governments. If she wins, she will not get anywhere near as long as Boris in office. Let's also no forget that having Truss in power will also mean that the likes of Rees-Mogg are still going to be around.

This afternoon is a fabulous one for Left-leaning voters and hastens the likelihood of a general election. Liz Truss will do more damage to the Conservatives than to the rest of the country. With Truss in power, we can expect that the damage will be sufficient to keep the Tories out for a very long time indeed. This is just the result I craved. Sunak gets trashed for being a snake and demolishing the Tories reputation for being good with the economy and in incompetent ends up temporarily being in No. 10. Starmer must be p/ssing himself with laughter.

ChilcoSaint and Onionman like this.
  6. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I just hope she is through because she’s seen as far less competition to Sunak than Mordaunt is . .

7. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Will go well with those British apples that will be top of the tree apparently...aren't those the hardest to pick :emoticon-0102-bigsm

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  8. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I have to take a more cynical view on this . The result is purely a consequence of the machionations of Boris and his collegues. It is essential a case of destroying Sunak and putting someone in who is effectively a vicarious leader who will dance to Boris' tune. Truss will appeal to the Conservative party members more than Sunak but the general public will be repulsed by her. Effectively, the right of the party are leading the Tories off of the cliff-face.

9. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Well I hope you are proven correct , I really do .

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  10. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

It goes way beyond what Johnson wants. Mad Nads gave the game away the other day when she more or less admitted that the most important interest served by the Tories are the donors.

San Tejón likes this.

11. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Buckle up for an awful couple of years of Truss but I do think she is the probably the desired outcome of the Labour Party.

She is not impressive or polished and she has been in this shambles of a government for some time.

12. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I would never refer to Johnson by his preferred “first” name.
    To me he was always Johnson,or ****, or prick, or ****er.
    Truss, to me, will be PM Pus.

13. San Tejón

On the topic of names, I think I told this story last year, but will repeat it, if I did.
    When my wife was hospitalised, last May, she had an adverse reaction to an anti sickness drug they had injected into her.
    Fortunately it was a rare occasion, during the stringent “no visitors” rule at the hospital, when I was there so I was able to quickly call for assistance, as it seemed like my wife had suffered a stroke. During the ensuing minutes, whilst the doctor was prodding and poking her into a more alert state, he started to ask her questions.
    One of his questions was “Who is the PM?”
    Her reply puzzled him, but reassured me that she was okay. Her reply, to the question was “Tosser”.
    I had to explain to the doctor that she wasn’t insulting him but referring to Johnson.

14. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

I just fell in love with your wife!!

15. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

16. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

17. San Tejón

So much to worry about and Tory members rank refugees equal with the Economy and greater than the NHS in their 12 biggest concerns.

upload_2022-7-20_22-28-22.png

18. San Tejón

Charlie Uniform November Tango

upload_2022-7-20_22-39-8.png

saintrichie123 likes this.
  19. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

20. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

More like 'Phat W⚓'

StJabbo1 likes this.