1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

2. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

How in the hell does exposing lies spouted by Boris Johnson undermine trust in democracy? Or do they really mean it undermines trust in Boris Johnson, and the BBC being government funded, are scared witless of upsetting the lying idiot?

We have all known for a long time that the mainstream media are corrupt and the BBC are clearly working towards being top of the heap. They should rename the corporation as Fox/BBC News.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  3. San Tejón

Buffoon caught lying again today, claiming that his National Insurance cut will immediately save people £500 per year, when in reality it will be around £85.
    Why isn’t he being held to account on where the money for the NHS and public services etc is going to come from, when he just seems to be offering bribes cuts?

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  4. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

5. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

6. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

The BBC are NOT government funded. The people fund them directly. Just as people fund SKY through subscription and pay more for goods because companies have an advertising budget that must be accounted for. So ITV, Ch4, in fact every TV/Radio media is funded by the British taxpayer.

7. San Tejón

I don’t use Twitter but surely they should close the Tory account down until after the election, in response to their having changed their name to deliberately con people into believing that they are an independent fact finding site.

Schrodinger's Cat likes this.
  8. San Tejón

9. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

The latest Tory Twitter scam raises another issue. Should they win this election I would argue that the supporters of the other parties could reasonably argue as to the legitimacy of the administration. Law of unintended consequences.

10. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

Indirectly it certainly is.............."The principal means of funding the BBC is through the television licence. The cost of a television licence is set by the government and enforced by the criminal law. The licence fee is classified as a tax and its evasion is a criminal offence. Since 1991, collection and enforcement of the licence fee has been the responsibility of the BBC in its role as TV Licensing Authority."

11. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Fascinating car-crash interview with Gove, who once again appears to have made good use of the Colombian marching powder beforehand:

StJabbo1, Schrodinger's Cat and Kaito like this.
  12. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

A short excerpt from Labour’s manifesto, which shows why it will be almost universally opposed by the billionaire-owned press and media, and why it is essential that a Labour government is returned:

Universal public services, collectively provided through general taxation and free at the point of use for all, are how we guarantee the right to a good life.
    Public services do more than make sure everyone has the basics. They create shared experiences and strengthen social bonds. They make our lives richer and more fulfilling.

A decade of Tory cuts has pushed our public services to breaking point. Labour offers real change – we will make Britain’s public services the best and most extensive in the world.

We will pay for this by creating a fairer taxation system, asking for a little more from those with the broadest shoulders, and making sure that everyone pays what they owe.

We will reverse some of the Tories’ cuts to corporation tax while keeping rates lower than in 2010.

We’ll ask those who earn more than £80,000 a year to pay a little more income tax, while freezing National Insurance and income tax rates for everyone else.

We will end the unfairness that sees income from wealth taxed at lower rates than income from work. VAT is a regressive tax that hits the poorest hardest and we guarantee no increases in VAT.

We will launch the biggest ever crackdown on tax avoidance and evasion and reform the inefficient system of tax reliefs.

Schrodinger's Cat and Kaito like this.
  13. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Mr Johnson owes HRH Andrew a big thank you for deflecting all the cr** that should be aimed at him, for being directed towards the Duke of York, as the timing is perfect.

14. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

I think this is going to be the most depressing election in my lifetime. The most one-sided election coverage. The most willingness by the press to accept a liar in 10 Downing Street. The most anger directed by the working class at the wrong person - with pretty much every 'Geezer' I have spoken to lately appalled by that 'nutter communist corbyn'. The most fearmongering and the least decent debate.

A vote for Boris is a vote for populism, fake news and rabble rousing. And it looks like a big majority may actually vote that way.

15. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

Well they will if we throw in the towel now.

Archers Road likes this.
  16. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Schrodinger's Cat likes this.
  17. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I just pray you are totally wrong. Why vote Johnson when you could have Farage? The only honest Brexiteer is Bill Cash, the rest are fake in their honesty levels!

18. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Gatemouth gobshite Farage, plenty of mud in his eye, threatening to sue Led by Donkeys.
    https://thebrexitparty.com/…
    please log in to view this image

19. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

The country really is in very deep trouble if people are taken in by the catalogue of blatant lies, falsehoods and nasty rhetoric being pumped out by the Tories. The main issue isn't that the Tories are doing it, the bigger problem is that so few people are standing up against it. I spent some time with a large number of people over the past couple of days and almost all of them thought it either didn't matter, found it funny, or believed that all politicians were the same.

The one thing that came over very strongly was that almost none of them felt they could trust any political party and the MP's expenses scandal had eroded their belief in any political system. It was all very depressing and from what I heard, as long as their pensions still arrived on time and their jobs were secure, they really didn't care what happened. I lost count of the number of times I was referred to as a 'romantic dreamer' if I thought any of us could ever change anything.

Talk about resigned acceptance of the inevitable, and no thought at all about the future their children and grandchildren would inherit. How depressing to feel so lethargic and downright lazy.

20. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

I was sat at the Duke of Wellington today and spoke to a group of students. I asked them if they had all registered to vote and they said they had and that they intended to vote too. Now that is encouraging and will probably worry the life out Johnson and his henchmen.