1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Political Debate

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No doubt at some point in the coming days the candidates for the Tory leadership will explain how they will fund their proposed tax cuts and spending increases. Meanwhile they are making Mr McDonnell look like W.E.Gladstone.

Nick Macpherson, a former permanent secretary at the Treasury.

Paul Johnson, director of the Institute for Fiscal Studies, says the plans for tax cuts and spending increases coming from Tory leadership candidates will horrify Whitehall. Claims that tax cuts are “funded” by headroom against borrowing target are absurd. They are funded by higher borrowing or by lower spending. That’s it.

2. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

Cabinet ministers have only one vote, the same as Tory backbenchers, so his popularity amongst the parliamentary MPs and party members will be hard to overcome. He is keeping a low profile to avoid any gaffs.
    As we know the Tory leadership favourite rarely wins. Notwithstanding I cannot see a Tory remainer being trusted again.

3. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

looks to be usual BoJo and friends claims.... but people will fall for them for their own gains sadly

4. yorkshirehornet

One could just as easily say:

Electing Boris as PM is so obviously a disaster for the country it does not need mentioning.

The tories have a major conundrum here.... they have ousted May..... but they may be now totally gridlocked..... and they know it....

5. superhorns

Hammond does have a windfall from better than expected tax receipts to play with, there is also a chunk of the ransom to spend if required.

6. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I think that the camera man operating at the Gove launch has been taking something rather dodgy. Gove seems to keep getting into a blurred state, or someone has bribed him to make the man look really bad.

7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Michael Gove’s father has contradicted claims made by his son that the family’s fish processing firm in Aberdeen was destroyed by the European Union’s fisheries policies.

Ernest Gove told the Guardian that he sold the business voluntarily because the fishing industry in Aberdeen was being hit by a range of different factors. These included competition for space in the port from North Sea oil vessels.

How many times has Gove said that his father's business was destroyed by the EU? He has just come out with it again, yet his father says it is untrue. <doh>

8. superhorns

His father qualified his above remarks soon after with the following statement.

Gove senior said to the Guardian that he proud of his son for standing up for all the folks who lost their jobs because of Europe.

He said " everybody in the north-east knows it was Europe that did such damage the fish trade. The common fisheries policy was a disaster not just for Aberdeen but all of Scotland. There wasn't any future for my business. It closed as a direct result of Europe."

Any chance you could be a bit more honest with your postings?

9. yorkshirehornet

I notice our freind has steered the converastion away from the subject he asked people to discuss.....

10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Just take a look and you will find that his remarks were given extensive coverage by many sites.
    Asked by the Guardian to clarify his remarks, Gove senior said he was proud of his son “for standing up for all the folks who lost their jobs because of Europe.”
    The elder Gove said he "couldn’t see any future in it, that type of thing, the business that I had, so I wasn’t going to go into all the trouble of having hardship. I just decided to sell up and get a job with someone else. That was all.”

Quite clear that Gove Snr made his remarks that the EU didn't come into his decision to sell up. Later he was asked was he proud of his son and said of course. I just decided to sell up and get a job with someone else. That was all.”

Once again well reported, but spin it otherwise if you so wish.

11. superhorns

Are you able to discuss only one subject at a time?

12. superhorns

You obviously failed to read his comments above from the Guardian at the time. He clearly blamed Brussels as he remarked that "it was Europe that did such damage to the fish trade" "There wasn't any future for my business, it closed as a direct result of Europe"

It is clear to me who he blamed. Are you doubting the Guardian. Part of the right wing press?

13. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Strange that the later remarks came about after Gove had been questioned about what his father has said. Ernest Gove said he was now nearly 80 and could not remember when he had sold the family firm. Talk about someone trying to avoid something that would show up his son in a bad light. He had put his foot in it by giving the first interview and was trying to put things right.

14. superhorns

What actually happened is that Gove senior was phoned up by a Guardian reporter who he said 'put words in my mouth". He later clarified his position to the Guardian which is the one I posted.

He clearly blamed the EU for the sale of his business and ruining fishing throughout Scotland.

15. superhorns

“I don’t know what this reporter is going on about,” Ernest Gove added in a statement. “Everybody in the north-east knows it was Europe that did such damage to the fish trade. The common fisheries policy was a disaster, not just for Aberdeen, but all of Scotland. There wasn’t any future for my business. It closed as a direct result of Europe.”

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

The Gove jokes coming in now.

Are Gove spin doctors giving journalists a line to take?

Gove going heavy on policy ideas his campaign launch. Clearly believes that focusing on substance rather than substance abuse is the way to get back in the race.

Michael Gove is making a snortingly good launch speech.
    Lots of good lines.
    His chances of winning are not to be sniffed at.

Still to be fair he did say that he hoped that Johnson wouldn't run away again.

17. superhorns

Best to get the facts right before posting propaganda. :emoticon-0105-wink:

18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Double posting now. Would you like me to repeat that it was an attempt to cover up.

19. superhorns

At least the Guardian had the decency to rectify it's faulty first report.

20. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

While the government tries to find a new PM, out in the real world the problems of placing contracts with a favoured few is brought out into the open. It is said to be a cheap option for the taxpayer, but that turns out to be incorrect when it all goes wrong. I have seen this happen at NCC, and it bankrupted the county.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-48554318

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.