1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Political Debate

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Was a significant part of BBC Country file this evening

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

2. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just caught part of it Yorkie. Having spent many a long hour with farmers both in the UK and here, I do know a bit about their problems. I have little faith in the government saying how they will change the subsidy system. I see it as a means of saving money, nothing more than that.

3. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

jesus f*****g christ. Toxic doesn't even begin to describe this thread. The EU thread was poison but some of the previous posts are beyond the pale.

Deleted....... likes this.
  4. <hug>

5. yorkshirehornet

The goading really is so against my values. I guess the Hornbot feels he is in the ascendancy as he gets the responses he clearly enjoys.. The only other thing is not to take part.. And then the Hornbot has won..
    Yes toxic...

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  6. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

It seems the massive increase in Tory Party membership is down to people like myself who would like a say in choosing the next Tory leader and PM. 30,000 members have been added in one year. The highest total for seven years.

The UKs unemployment level has reduced again, the lowest figure since 1975. The new jobs created are either full time or self employed.

7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I don't actually think that 30,000 can be called a massive increase unless it is from a very low level. Seeing as the party has refused to give the membership numbers for several years, one can only assume it had hit very low levels. Perhaps for the sake of clarity you can tell us what it is now?

What we are seeing is the party being attacked from both ends now, the leavers who would go with nothing and the remainers who are calling for a second vote. The latter group amassed more than 6,000,000 people who were prepared to sign a petition asking for one. That could have quite a say on the outcome of elections. Figures issued today suggest that the Tories could be looking at a vote of 19% in the EU elections. Not the same thing as the council elections that come first, but an indication of the disaster that could be forthcoming.

8. superhorns

The Tory membership is now 150k, up from 120k the previous year. Tories obviously rightly think the European elections don't matter, they might as well vote for one of the Brexit parties to make sure the UK adds to the predicted swell of eurosceptic MEPs. Once remainer May has gone the Tories will reunite ready to fight the only serious poll, namely a GE.

9. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

I thought you told me that party membership figures don't mean a thing <laugh>

10. superhorns

As you obsessed by them I thought you should know a.s.a.p. :emoticon-0105-wink:

11. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Seems as if these new Tories don't have very deep pockets.

Shellshocked cabinet ministers listened as party chiefs explained that their internal polling showed that “Labour leads on all domestic issues”, with the cost of living, the NHS and the environment topping voters’ lists of concerns. Davis explained that the party did not have enough money in the bank. He also argued for a different approach on Brexit, warning that business was “grotesquely unprepared for no deal”.’

12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

So half of the land in England is owned by less than 1% of the population, and if it was shared around equally everyone would have an acre. Does someone who has just built himself a new house have it surrounded by an acre of land? Looking at the size of some gardens on the new estates when I was last in England, a small shed filled the entire space. It is little wonder that the UK is seen as one of the most unequal countries in the world. The people who own so much of the land are people like James Dyson who wants the UK out of the EU. He doesn't want anyone to interfere with his ever increasing portfolio of land purchases and paying taxes on them. Meanwhile those who are actually able to own their own homes account for just 5% of the land ownership.

13. superhorns

Curbing freedom of movement on an overcrowded island is a good step towards reducing pressure on land. I very much doubt much of Dyson's land is suitable or would ever get planning permission to build on. Hopefully a communist state that land grabs like Mugabe is a long way away.

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

You really haven't thought about this very much have you. Look at the pictures of any large town or city in the UK and see the houses all close to each other. There are still back to back streets in many northern towns. The fact that land is owned by so few makes that which is available far more expensive than it needs be. There are huge waiting lists across the country for affordable homes. Do you think that £300,000 is affordable housing as the government does?

15. superhorns

I have previously given several detailed suggestions on how to build more affordable houses. Your comments provide no answers to any of the problems just the usual class based whinging about those that have more than you.

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Just how much land do you have now SH? I will ask again, is £300,000 an affordable home for the bulk of the population.

17. yorkshirehornet

What a load of utter tripe. Your prejudices are coming to the surface..

18. I don't really like to talk on behalf of other posters but - OFH and "class based whinging"? Behave yourself <laugh> It's perfectly possible to have compassion for those worse off than you and for those views to have nothing to do with class. If anyone is focussed on being class based in this exchange I would respectfully suggest it isn't him.

19. superhorns

Labour's anti-semitism problems rumble on. Richard Burgon, Labour's shadow justice secretary is under mounting pressure as he told a judge under oath that it was not his "view" that Zionism was the "enemy of peace". On Tuesday he was forced to apologise after a video was shown which included him making that, and other offensive statements.

He is now facing calls to resign.

20. yorkshirehornet

Shame it is not possible to seriously discuss with you such issues.. Rather than your favoured approach to posting on these message boards....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.