1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Political Debate

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Spot on. If you take the trouble to read their resignation letter you will see that along with many that I talk to, or read comments by, they are more in touch with what the average Joe Public thinks than the extremist right wing. They make the point that they hoped to see policies more attractive to young people, but no, they haven't come about, and the party is stuck with its aged fan base.

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  2. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

I don't live in your projection SH.. I have been clear about it before.. Whatever BS you may project in to me and others. I believe in a middle way which is inclusive...

Furthermore I welcome more independent MPs in Parliament.. Standing up for what they believe rather than a party whip

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Hornet-Fez likes this.
  3. yorkshirehornet

I am not a Tory but was impressed by what they have said.. And of course this is challenging for the Tory party.. As many voters will resonate with their views.. Already seen a couple of such interviews...

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

4. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

As you know I am a member of Bundnis 90 die Grünen here in Germany and so my experience of active political life is within a completely different set of circumstances. In the Green Party here we have differences - some who look left, some who look Rightish and some who just look forwards. We obviously have the 2 strands of fundamentalism and of so called realpolitik - those who propagate a post growth society and those who propagate the so called green new deal (a sort of technofix solution which thinks that you can conquer everything with windmills and solar panels). What we do not have is entryism - we do not have people joining German parties with the hope of 'taking them over', in the way this happens in the UK. The reasons are obvious - we have PR. here, and so the extremes actually form their own parties rather than trying to infiltrate the bigger ones. The nature of the beast is that as long as you have a first past the post system in the UK, where membership of either of the 2 big parties is essential in order to have influence, then those big parties are going to be collecting points for extremists of all shades and colours. In contrast to what our Brexiteer friend always says - there is actually more extremist politics in the UK. than elsewhere - the main difference being that Fascists, reactionaries, (or Marxists) go under their own flags on the Continent, rather than hiding under other ones as in the UK.

Hornet-Fez and yorkshirehornet like this.
  5. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

A good post cologne. It seems to me that political parties can encompass a range of views, in fact they have to as people can have different ideas as to what is best, but there does come a point where a party is moved away from a broad agreement to a minority taking over. Looking at the selection process for the Tories before the last election, many local parties had no say in who they wanted to stand, but had candidates imposed by central office. This taking away from locals to central imposition has dangerous possibilities when a small group has power. Labour has an equally dangerous situation because they have a membership that in part, we don't know how many, actually joined to destroy the party from within. Not the ones who felt that they could have a real say in forming policy at a price they could afford, but the people who just knew that Corbyn would lead the party to a self destruct situation, which seems to be happening. Certainly in France there are a multitude of left wing parties, so many I lose count, all with their own particular axe to grind. The extreme right go from trying to make themselves look moderate one minute, to out and out thuggery the next. Here we have a strange voting system, neither one thing or the other, but as I have become more familiar I think it is better than the UK one, as it gives the voter a week to have second thoughts before voting again, exceptions of course when a candidate gets more than 50% in the first round.

6. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

Flyboy Hatton has been suspended already pending an investigation into a message he sent in 2012. All going wrong for Labour.

7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

What a terrible condemnation of the Tory party. Phillip Lee the Tory member for Bracknell and a former minister, has been denied access to the PM. While she has been happy to see the ERG, Corbyn and even Mccluskey, a moderate MP is not allowed to put over his point of view. Not going too well for the Tories when this sort of information is made public.

8. superhorns

Lee who? The Prime Minister is obviously far too busy to make time for such a nonentity who does not fully understand democracy.

9. yorkshirehornet

What a shocking response..... reveals even more about the views of the poster.....

10. superhorns

My Tory membership fee helped the Conservatives rake in more than £21 million in 2018 whilst Labour received just over £7 million, their lowest total for 17 years.

11. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Perhaps you would like to enlighten us as to exactly where that money comes from SH ? Is the percentage which comes from membership fees really under 1% ? From all those large donations which percentage comes from hedge funds, investment bankers, property magnates and fossil fuel industries ? If ever there was a party which has been bought, hook line and sinker, it is them. Is it really true that they pack their party conference with prospective private sponsors because there are not enough members to fill the hall ? At least the Labour Party are actually under the control of their members.

12. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Further evidence that the rich are getting richer, the poor getting poorer, and the tories keeping hold or expanding that gap by any means they can. Far too much money going in to far too few pockets before disappearing offshore. It's unsustainable this greed.

oldfrenchhorn likes this.
  13. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I think that this is supposed to be a boast, but can it really be? SH and his £25 is similar to a single frozen pea in a kilogram bag of them. It is insignificant and will not get an invitation to a dinner party with even a low level minister. His spiritual leader the blessed St Mogg is getting his money out of the UK and really doesn't want anyone to know where he has his personal wealth hidden. 1st April and the EU regulations on hidden funds come into effect, so it is little wonder that these ultra-wealthy people are fighting to get away from the EU as fast as possible. Somehow I doubt that someone throwing around a tiny donation will get special treatment.

14. superhorns

:emoticon-0136-giggl:emoticon-0136-giggl:emoticon-0136-giggl

15. The Minister responsible for making the post Brexit UK richer than Norway has just resigned. As he believes it's possible to feed thousands of people with one loaf and five fishes maybe the PM will give the job to Jacob Rees Mogg....

oldfrenchhorn likes this.
  16. superhorns

Agreed, Rees Mogg would be an excellent choice for PM, I'll have a word with my contacts for you.

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Sounds as if Moggy is getting worried and is departing from his previous statements. At the same time Peter Bone seems to be off message and continues with the previous aims of the ERG. It appears to an outsider that the Tories are splitting into even more sub-groups.

18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

"I used to parody politicians, but now I've gone a step up. Now I just quote them." It’s a goldmine for comics and a disaster for the increasingly vulnerable in society.
    Can anyone actually believe the chaos that our elected politicians have got us in to? We have a minority government which should be reaching out to create policy acceptable across the chamber. What we have is the two main parties who cannot even get agreement with their own. The resigning Minister today talked about the "final humiliation." That suggests that the country has already been humiliated. Looking at the press from around the world, he is right, the country is looked on with bewilderment.

19. superhorns

It could be much worse for the UK. We could be like France which is suffering weekly riots by yellow vests, high unemployment and prolific far right politics.

20. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Another unwarranted pay rise for the MP's. Don't it make you sick....

Hornet-Fez likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.