1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Political Debate

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You really do have to wonder if all sense has left some people in the Labour Party. The man is a dreadful example of how small groups within a political party can push the sensible members away. It can infect any party as we can see with the infiltration of ex-UKIP members into the Tories. Two weak leaders of the main political parties and the whole situation starts to crumble. We all know where Corbyn stands, very much to the left of the party that won elections, but where May stands is anyone's guess as she flip flops one way, then the other, trying to keep the party together. Anyone know what she actually believes in?

2. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Every right if he hasn't changed his views that cost the party dearly.

3. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

If you read the Guardian you will discover many moderate MPs and local members heartily disagreeing with you. Moderate Labour leaders have kept this fiddling opportunist out of their party for 34 years, it is a clear indication that Momentum's takeover of the LP is complete.

4. superhorns

How many more own goals can the Labour Party leaders come up with? They really are a totally incompetent bunch. Do they want to be in opposition forever?

5. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

From his own admission some of his views have changed. I cannot imagine anyone, in any other walk of life, being still held to account for things which happened 34 years ago. If he wants to rejoin the party then there would have to be some current reason for preventing him - if not then there is nothing they can do to stop it.

6. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

It is a bit like Farage applying to rejoin the Tory party now he sees them as moving in his directions. Agent provocateur comes to mind.

7. colognehornet

In a democracy you have to have a very good reason to prevent somebody from exercising his political rights - which include playing an active part in politics such as joining a political party. Even the most hardened criminals would have their record cleared from the books after 34 years. If certain sections of the party cannot see that denying a person their right to full political participation for events which happened 34 years ago is anti democratic then that is their problem.

8. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Would you in your Green party offer membership to anyone off the street for €3 without thinking that you might be attracting trouble. Labour did, and it attracted people who had no interest in democracy, just to get inside so they could vote for Corbyn who they could see would create problems. SH has readily admitted that he joined the Tories, not to support them, but to try and remove the leader. Is that democratic? Yes it probably is because it goes along with the rules, but it is not about good governance for the country.

9. superhorns

I'm afraid you have got it wrong again. I joined the Conservative party to help choose a new leader which is quite different to removing the present one. In doing so I'm well aware my £25 quid will help the Tories coffers.

If you going to quote me please try to be more accurate.

10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

There was no election for a new leader at the time you joined unless the incumbent one was removed. Therefore you admit that by wishing to choose a new one you wanted to remove the existing one along with many in the fractured party. I don't really care if you choose to give £25 to the Tories, although I could suggest places that it would do more good, but it seems very odd that ordinary members such as you, are supporting people who are advising people to get their money and wealth out of the UK.

11. superhorns

Strange twisted logic on your behalf. Joining a political party does not give a right to ditch the leader. It only enables a member to participate in an election should a vacancy arise. A democratic process. My £25 was extremely well spent, much better value than the odd Watford game this season.
    In a democracy it is perfectly acceptable to choose where to invest and indeed where to live. If you are alluding to Mr Dyson, he employs thousands of people in the UK and is a model for other entrepreneurs.

12. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Well there you have it. What place in this message board do we have for someone who joins it primarily to pursue their own political agenda which by their own admission the prefer to invest in stead of their own football club. Given we are in our best season even since we had God in our side in the golden era...

I hope that the irony is clear to all.
    [emoji6]
    Furthermore we have ALWAYS said over the years on this message board that football is greater than politics and religion. Some posters clearly think differently....

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

13. superhorns

You must be having a quiet morning :emoticon-0102-bigsm

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

No I wasn't thinking about Dyson because he is not an MP. I was thinking about people like Redwood telling his clients to get their money out of the UK.

15. superhorns

Perfectly normal to spread risk and investment worldwide, a non story. An advisor would not be doing his job properly if politics got in the way of providing maximum returns for his clients. Avoiding some of the short term uncertainty during the Brexit process seems to be a sensible move. Expert investors have predicted much of the delayed investment in the UK will return once Brexit is completed.

16. superhorns

There is talk of three Tories quitting today, fingers crossed hopefully Soubry will be one of them. She has been mentioned along with Heidi Allen and Sarah Wollaston. They should have been in the Lib Dems anyway. They were facing de-selection anyway for their wrecking tactics.

17. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Clearly you are not a person who works towards values of community and collaboration...

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

18. colognehornet

I don't think that you have realized the dynamics of the situation. Labour MPs leaving and forming an independent section nonetheless remain on the opposition benches - the same is not true for departing Tories who would actually cross the chamber in the process. The first does not change the numerical situation in Parliament, the second does because it reduces the Tories patched up majority - any more than these 3 leaving and their majority will be under threat.

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  19. superhorns

Faulty assumption. Your Black & White world is erroneous.

20. superhorns

These potential Tory defectors would have voted against the government on Brexit anyway. The serious problem for Labour arises when the much larger number of Labour defectors contest seats against the official Labour candidates in a GE allowing the Tories in due to a split in the left votes.

This long time coming split really is much more serious for Labour. I suspect the list of those rejecting the Momentum dominated Labour Party will just keep on growing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.