1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Political Debate

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

The Tories won because they gained enough seats to form a government silly.

2. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Democracy is not about bums on seats SH. It is about permanent, ongoing accountability. Your preferred system of government involves parties claiming a majority based on a minority of the vote - the majority of the electorate is always against the government of the day in the UK. In contrast to other countries there is also no system of balances and checks in the UK. the Lords can delay bills but they cannot stop them entirely, as the second chamber can in some other countries. Added to this is the fact that Britain is the most centralized country of the Western world - no less than 72% of all public spending is directed by Westminster. For the sake of comparison 80% of all public spending in Germany is directed at the regional or local level. Britain is essentialy a centralized, rotating one party state. Is your only justification for FPTP the fact that it has existed for a long time ? The same could have been said about the divine right of Kings until it ended. Or maybe you can say that it is easy for people to understand - so is dictatorship. The issue of PR. was fudged in the past by a referendum which was not understandable because the PR. which was sold was a complicated ununderstandable mess which confused the electorate, whereas PR. is anything but complicated.

3. superhorns

There is no appetite in the UK to change the system, it is incumbent on those that want change.

4. superhorns

Hammond's give away budget is likely to add support for the Tories, their current large lead of 6% in the latest election poll may actually increase further.

5. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A general election would I suppose create another chance for the PM to kick the can a little further down the road. Sounds like a good idea. Suggest it down at your next branch meeting.

6. superhorns

We need a change of PM if she persists with Chequers not a GE. The Tories are likely to rule for years to come.

7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Why would you want to change the PM if she has you so far ahead in the polls? Still it would have the same effect of kicking the can down the road.

8. superhorns

Surprisingly I would prefer a proper Brexiteer. May has done much better than most thought possible, she is a survivor. She is much more popular and respected than the hapless Macron who's popularity slumps daily to record levels.

9. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Get down to your next branch meeting and start agitating for a change SH. It is grassroots opinion that runs the Tory party after all.

10. superhorns

You need to research the process better, as well as the other subjects covered recently.

11. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

It may surprise you to know that I know very well how the Tory party works. Why do you cough up your cash to have no say? That is not exactly a good deal is it. Bit like wandering into a shop, paying up £25, then being told it doesn't actually allow you to have your pick of what is in the place. Your idea is that there was going to be an election to replace the PM and you would have a say. Doesn't look likely now unless you want to delay Brexit.

12. superhorns

I am very happy to contribute towards the Conservative party funds regardless if I'm allowed a vote to choose the next leader or not. This will happen at some point. The rules state I need to be a member for at least 3 months to qualify to vote for the leadership.

I am regularly asked for my views on subjects, so far they have resisted implementing my clear instruction to ditch Chequers. :emoticon-0105-wink:

13. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I wonder why?

14. superhorns

Besides £25 is rather small beer. I've just been asked to pay over £6k to connect the new house to electricity supply including nearly £3k for permission from the local council to shut the lane for 20 minutes.

15. superhorns

Because the Brexiteers are not in control at the moment.

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Why complain. You must have budgeted for it.

It wouldn't be a Tory council would it?

17. superhorns

No sometimes the councils allow the Wichita linesmen to do minor works without road closure. This will just go on the expanded contingency list.

18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

You just remind me SH of the story I was told today by my friend in Dorset. For 25 years he has led the Remembrance Sunday march over a half mile route through the town. Organised by the British Legion, it has a band and all the local uniformed organisations and many others. In today's budget money was being set aside to ensure that the children in the country should be made aware of the two world wars. This year the march will not take place as the council has asked for £8,000 to shut the road for an hour and a half, putting up signs to warn of the closure, and providing two police officers. With councils losing 50% of their funding from central government they will look at any means at their disposal to raise some cash. There is a contradiction here. Should people lose their chance to join such an event and the children ask what is all about, when the government says it wants people to learn about such things. People don't want to pay more taxation I accept, but they are losing out when events such as this become too expensive for the individuals in a small town.

Deleted....... likes this.
  19. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Yes it would be a Tory council.

Deleted....... likes this.
  20. He'll probably either claim it isn't or that all the Tory Councillors are remainers..... I'd do the same in his shoes to be fair!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.