1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Political Debate

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The UK has withdrawn its candidate from election to the UN International Court of Justice.

It will be the first time Britain will not have a judge on the UN’s most powerful court for the first time in its history.

The UK is one of the founding members of the United Nations and has had a representative on the bench since its inception in 1946.

The move comes after the UK suffered a humiliating blow to its diplomatic prestige last week when after five rounds of simultaneous voting by the Security Council and the General Assembly in New York, four judges from Brazil, Lebanon, France and Somalia were chosen for the bench ahead of the UK's candidate Sir Christopher Greenwood.

Already we can see how the UK is being sidelined. Retreat to your island and watch the rest of the world move on.

2. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

I think you've been too long out of the country, Cologne. I love good bread and you can buy excellent fresh made loaves of all varieties in most towns in England. Most market towns have farmers markets once a week or more with excellent artisan breads. I've travelled widely in Europe and other continents. Awful processed bread is available in most of them. Let's avoid such uninformed generalisations, shall we?

3. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

I am sure that there must be some good bakers in the UK. Theo, it's just that I haven't succeeded in finding them. It was rather an 'off the cuff remark' just as 'The shortest book in the World being the German book of humour' - the difference being that most Germans would laugh along with that. Of course it is a generalization. As travellers we do not often find the 'best' of anything whilst travelling, and most European travellers to London end up either starving to death or coming back with a massive hole in their pockets.

4. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

Of course, a bit of a humour fail on my part, Cologne. I should avoid this thread really. I'm not a fan of much that our politicians do, but I do get a bit tired of the constant sniping at the UK from elsewhere. There are many good reasons to live here, besides bread :emoticon-0100-smile

5. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Today's budget:

"A very sensible raft of measures by our Chancellor to support business in these difficult times'"

There you go... before he even makes the speech I have put SH's expected comment

<laugh>

Toby likes this.
  6. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

This is the most sensible comment you have made on this forum since your afghan coat was given to the dog.!! :emoticon-0102-bigsm

7. superhorns

Normal service has been reduced at PMQ's, a rejuvenated Prime Minister made Comrade Corbyn look the hapless plodder he clearly is.

8. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Bit early to have hit the bottle. She failed to answer a single question.

9. superhorns

Many expats drink too much.. be careful.

10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

The new forecasts for productivity growth for the next five years are frightening.

11. superhorns

Don't worry, like yours their forecasts are always wrong.

12. colognehornet

Remember SH. Frenchie is the current holder of the Watford Predictions League <laugh>

13. superhorns

He should obviously stick to football matters then to avoid coming bottom of the political predictions league. :emoticon-0102-bigsm

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Nothing changes, still ignores expert opinion.

15. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

We should all ignore him and his Express-fuelled opinions too...

16. superhorns

17. superhorns

There seems to be a distinct lack of coverage about this latest poll in the left wing press. Maybe Corbyn should join Kezia Dugdale in the jungle to improve his waning popularity?

18. colognehornet

Polls which show unusual results or appear to diverge from the mainstream should neither be seen as a source of despair, for the one side, or of jubilation for the other. Normally they do not show a real shift but rather a difference in the methodology used. This is why nobody is making a song and dance about it, other than yourself. Really it doesn't matter anyway. We know that Labour would increase its share of the vote once an election campaign starts and that is the important thing.

19. superhorns

As Blair pointed out the Labour Party should be 20 points ahead at the moment, if the LP cannot take advantage of the government's problems at the moment it really is in a hopeless position. The lack of support for Corbyn or the LP does not indicate increasing its future number of votes, that is just wishful thinking. Defeat number four looks on the cards for Labour, the Tories will not repeat the mistakes of the last election again.

20. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

Didn't take you long to stop talking about the budget - or the longest period of falling wages and productivity since records began. Halfwit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.