1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Political Debate

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Scotland's childcare minister, Mark McDonald, has resigned from the Scottish government amid allegations of "inappropriate" behaviour.

The Scottish National Party (SNP) MSP stepped down and apologised to anyone "who might have found my behaviour inappropriate".

This is becoming a national crisis.

2. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

Don't worry it is rife in France, they just have much lower standards than the UK.

3. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I would go off to your local gig and forget that you are an ex-Tory fan. Redwood is a joke, so stand back.

4. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Mr Skinner is far more honourable than John Redwood, irrespective of his political views. He is a rare breed: an honest politician.

5. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I wondered why Corbyn used all his six questions last Wednesday in PMQs to ask about the Isle of Man and the number of aircraft that had been through the tax system there. It seemed strange when there were many other topics he could have brought up, he chose that. Tonight I think we have an answer, and surely he must have known that something was afoot.

6. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

https://news.sky.com/story/priti-pa...ls-prime-minister-benjamin-netanyahu-11116734
    Unbelievably, it appears that government ranks are protecting Priti Patel and she's going to escape without punishment.

Personally, I would have found her 'deeds' unconscionable even if she had had Cabinet approval for them. The fact that she didn't, yet still saw fit to go off like a loose cannon, totally ignoring FCO protocols, basically promise UK taxpayer monies to the Israeli army - and then lie about it upon her return - suggest the actions of a foreign spy. For me she should be sacked without question. Yet Theresa May accepts her apology...:(

That she managed the trip anyway calls into question the efficacy of MI5/MI6. They must surely have known what she was doing - if they were doing their job properly they would be calling for her head as her actions have undermined their whole purpose. Which begs the question - did they know about and sanction her visit? And if they did, did the PM?

7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I think matters have moved on a bit as she has been ordered back from her current trip. It seems that there were more undisclosed meetings in September. Still we wait to hear what will happen.

8. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

She will have to go... and what with Boris's off the cuff ( seemingly??) remarks about the poor women in prison in Iran...... Tories doing very badly

9. Bolton's Boots

true.JPG

So it's true then...

10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

So Patel has gone. My wife is horrified they both went to Watford Grammer School for Girls.

Looks tonight as if the opposition now have Boris in their sights, if not the PM herself. It must be dreadful to have nailed your colours to the mast of this government that looks more like the Titanic every day.

11. Bolton's Boots

It looks like they have the whole cabinet in their sights - if this letter from Pete Wishart to John Bercow is anything to go by.

wishart letter 1.jpg wishart letter 2.jpg

12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I am not sure just what powers the Speaker has. He can call the Government to provide a statement from a Minister, but as we so often see when one turns up they ignore the questions they are asked. Can he actually do anything himself? I think that from the letter above he can allow a motion to be debated, but not sure that there is much more he can do. Pete Wishart is correct that the Government is again not committing to provide the Commons with the information they have the right to, something they voted for. The real question of course is if the Government has so little regard for MPs, what hope is there for Joe Bloggs.

13. Bolton's Boots

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Theresa May will issue a stern warning to Russia over attempts to “threaten international order” in a speech condemning its alleged meddling in elections and campaign of cyber espionage. In some of her strongest words yet, the Prime Minister will say the UK would do “what is necessary to protect ourselves” and allies from disruption from Moscow, urging President Vladimir Putin to step back from efforts to “weaponise information” through fake news, hacking and electoral interference.

Now just how many elections or referendums,(yes I know there is a dispute over that word) have the Russians been involved in?

15. Bolton's Boots

Interesting turn of phrase there - "The UK and Scotland...."

indy.JPG

Has TM the PM finally accepted the inevitable?

16. superhorns

Theresa May advised Jimmy Frankie to avoid her partner's dodgy Russian show.

17. superhorns

please log in to view this image

Krankie

18. Bolton's Boots

19. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Of course it is not only the Express. Today the Telegraph has made a real pigs ear of having a go at Tories who disagree with their government, an action that has backfired. I doubt that the Telegraph would wish to think that it was as pathetic as the Express or Mail, but today's front page pushes it a bit closer to joining them.

20. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.