1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Political Debate

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

I didn't realise that Corbyn believed in a hereditary head of state.

2. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

"Sweeping state control over swathes of the British economy"
    I guess that's one way of describing nationalised public services such as the NHS.
    And of course there is no mention of the unhealthy control of the media by greedy tax avoiding foreign individuals.

3. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

you could go on and on on that one......

4. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

5. yorkshirehornet

Toby likes this.
  6. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

7. yorkshirehornet

Oh hang on SH, a little quiz just for you

Who said:

"Theresa May is a zombie prime minister leading a zombie cabinet in a zombie party"

Your wise comments will no doubt be enjoyed...

8. yorkshirehornet

Too late.... it is Matthew Parris...

9. yorkshirehornet

Very interesting and forthright comments from Robert Peston this morning:

upload_2017-10-3_9-1-1.png

Not dissimilar from the discussion on Start the week with Andrew Marr on Monday.

Tory party divided... new generation of people with no capital... and for capitalism to work we all need to invest and gain and not just the highest levels.
    values of family, community etc all need to be re-embraced

10. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Interesting also that only a third of those attending the conference are actually party members, the rest being lobbyists and sponsors (or potential ones). We do not know the exact number of Tory Party members (they aren't forthcoming over this) but apparently 75% are in social status ABC1, 70% are male, 51% are over 60 (75% over 40) and 60% live in the Home counties. So do they actually know where Manchester is ?

11. yorkshirehornet

That is two of the other big Tory issues
    Disillusionment of party members
    Thatcher giving up on the North- so the election is fought and won in the south of the UK...

12. yorkshirehornet

Incidentally on start the week they were talking about how the party moved to a neo-liberal Quaker like approach....away from family and social values.
    Any views?

13. colognehornet

Rather puzzled by that Yorkie - I've never known a real Quaker who was Tory.

14. Bolton's Boots

I read yesterday that 71% of the Party members were over 70, but couldn't substantiate that. If true, and their 'youth group' Activate are anything to go by, the party is thankfully in deep trouble.

I would imagine that they should know where Manchester is - Peston's description of "wall of police, private security and steel fences" applied to their conference there last year too. Although if the age thing is correct, they've probably all forgotten anyway... :)

15. colognehornet

I didn't hear it Yorkie. I guess that the neo liberal view is that we are all individuals - as Thatcher said ''There is no such thing as society''. In a World of globalization and higher levels of mobility then the extended family would be the first casualty - families spread out in different parts of the country etc. Perhaps over several countries. This is a shame because the extended family offered a child several role models - which are not obtainable in the smaller nuclear family. I'm not sure what the 'Neo Liberal Quaker like approach' means. If it means that children should be brought up by small Kibbutz like communities then I'm generally in favour - if it means throwing them into the World without any guidance or family structure behind them, then not. The problem is that 'neo liberal' and 'Quaker' are contradictory terms. Thatcher's comment about society is an illusion - there is no such thing as a self contained individual. Someone else clothes you, someone else feeds you, someone else protects your property, someone else heals you, someone else puts a roof over your head - we are all dependent on each other every day of our lives.

16. Bolton's Boots

Tory councillor from Hertford shows the depth of the problem facing the country -

henson.JPG
    How on earth he kept a straight face is anyone's guess - surely even he can't believe that? :(

17. yorkshirehornet

yes puzzled me too and they said it twice.. They talked about the Tory party having to reinvent itself over the last 200 years a number of times.... and now were neo-liberal

18. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

19. colognehornet

Basically the Tories have moved to the right since Thatcher. Away from the 'one nation' politics of eg. Edward Heath towards complete acceptance of free market politics which reduces the powers of the state to interfere in economics. They call it 'neo liberal' but it is just a rennaissance of the 'Laissez Faire' ideas of the early 19th Century - only with a globalized edge to it. Tories of the past used to actually worry about unemployment and poverty - they used to, like Labour, believe that only spending power at the base of society ensured growth. Now they believe that if the rich get richer then this will, somehow, trickle down to the masses.

20. colognehornet

I agree that she is being stupid by trying to speak about something which she does not know. There is nothing wrong in admitting to ignorance on something. I do not know what 'encryption' means - nor do I know anything about hashing or hashtags. In fact, for me, twittering is still only done by our feathered friends. But I do not think I have lost anything in life through this apparent ignorance. I respect Tony Blair for admitting that when he became PM. his daughter had to show him how to send an email.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.