1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Political Debate

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

It's not just him though is it? It's that entire sorry fascist, science-denying, poor hating, bigoted, racist government has to go... along with his appointments to the SCOTUS. It's a mess.

2. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

3. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

As he became president, I thought there would be 1 Of 3 outcomes
    A) impeachment (or resign to avoid-same thing)
    B) assassination
    C) start WW 3.

I was half joking, Now I realise I might be correct- and it isn't funny

4. superhorns

5. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

In terms of “Managing the economy overall” the public rates the Conservative government at -10, from +13 a year ago, with only 35 per cent rating the government “very good” or “good”, a change of – 23 points on what is always a core Conservative brand strength.
    Some 51 per cent of the public told us in polling conducted on Friday and Saturday that they “did not trust” the prime minister to deliver a “good Brexit deal for Britain” vs 34 per cent who said they did. And asked to consider the economy, only 38 per cent in our polling believe Brexit will be “good for Britain”.
    These results have come about since the PM made her speech in Florence. I would have thought you might have wished to comment on the open warfare that can be seen between government ministers that is spread across all the Sunday papers.

6. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Clutching at straws SH ? We all know that the occasional opinion poll will deviate from the norm - there are so many of them that you can always find one which suits your argument. Opinion polls mean absolutely nothing at the moment because we all know that the Tories will be running scared of an election for a long time to come, and so will avoid it by all means. If they cannot get a majority when the polls showed them 15% ahead at the beginning of hostilities then there is no hope for them. TM. has shown that once a campaign starts she is no match for Corbyn, yet they cannot replace her - there are limits to how often you can force unelected PMs on the electorate.

7. superhorns

Open warfare seems to have broken out in the Labour Party today. Corbyn's increasing unpopularity could be down to the many Labour supporters that voted for Brexit are angry with the mixed messages coming from the leadership. Perhaps they are joining the vast majority of Labour MPs that have no faith in Corbyn.

8. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Could the Greens become part of a coalition in the government with Merkel cologne? The numbers suggest they could, but what about policy?

9. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

How bizarre that the Labour party have decided not to debate and vote on Brexit. The biggest subject in the UK, and they wish to follow the Tories and try to keep their divisions hidden as far as possible. There was some good research that showed that the people who voted for Labour in the general election were in favour of staying in the EU, yet rather than build on that they showed they were as scared of the voters as the Tories.

10. superhorns

It is called respecting democracy.

11. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

No, democracy doesn't mean a power grab from the people. For the Labour party to stop talk on Brexit is as bad as having a minority government carrying on as if they were the popular choice of the country.

12. superhorns

It is quite normal for Labour MPs to respect the decision of the referendum as they have continued to do so at every opportunity. Most Labour MPs represented constituencies that voted leave, common sense demands they take notice of their constituents and the national vote.

At the general elections the Tories were clearly the most popular party by seats and votes.

13. superhorns

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Your ideas as to what is democracy amazes me sometimes SH. Many governments around the world are formed by coalition because of the voting systems they use. If any political party went around offering £20 to individual voters to vote for them it would be quite rightly deemed to be illegal. When Cameron failed to win a majority talks were held with the Liberals and a proper coalition was formed without any suggestion of payment. After this General Election there was no attempt to form a government on a normal basis, instead a payment for ten votes was offered. A £Billion was offered to buy some votes to keep a party in office despite the fact that the population had not voted in such a way as to give them a majority. I am sure that if the population had been asked did they want to spend £Billion on buying votes, or use it on the NHS or Police, there would have been an overwhelming opinion.

15. superhorns

It appears my view on democracy is the same as most of the MPs in parliament. You must be easily amazed by the vast majority of MPs respecting the verdict of the referendum, they did after all, vote to use a referendum.

The DUP negotiating for more investment is no more or less any party would do it that position. The Lib Dems negotiated hard with the Tory Party before forming the 2010 coilition government.
    After the German election today there will be much horse trading between parties before a new government is formed. You seem extremely naive on how things work.

16. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Although there are still enough votes for a large coalition CDU/CSU - SPD, the SPD have said they want to pull out of the existing coalition. To be honest, they need to in order to win back any sort of profile. The favoured coalition for the CDU (Merkels party) is the FDP - but they don't have enough. So the only possible majority is with the Greens - but I do not see why we should sacrifice ourselves in coalition with 2 right wing parties. We could do it - but it would be long term suicide and could well decimate our membership. We will have a vote on it, but I will reject it - and leave the party if the decision goes the wrong way. Let Merkel form a minority government with the FDP. and see how far she gets - that is their problem

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Not naive, just don't believe in paying money that isn't mine to buy votes. It is illegal to buy votes unless you are the Conservative party it seems.

18. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Toby likes this.
  19. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

That is probably what I would have said about the Election result in the UK, the Tories should have tried to rule, without paying for votes.

20. superhorns

I'm sure the Lib Dem demands in 2010 cost much more than that, I thought you keep banging on about preferring coalition government? That's what you get between parties, horse trading.

The only answer is another Tory government with a large majority, it is good they are becoming more popular again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.