1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Plymouth Argyle v Pompey

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by Wooperts_duck, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

F/T Plymouth Argyle 2-2 Portsmouth

I thought that was a pretty entertaining game, and great that we're still two points clear in second rather than the one it would've been had you clung on

:)

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  2. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Final Match Stats:-

Home Team: Plymouth .........Away Team: Portsmouth

Possession:

Home 55%
    Away 45%

Shots:

Home 14
    Away 7

Shots on Target:

Home 4
    Away 3

Corners:

Home 4
    Away 1

Fouls:

Home 16
    Away 21

3. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Thanks for joining the match thread Erik. We were poor in the first half, but Kenny Jackett's tactical changes at half time altered the game completely <cheers>

By the way, my first car at 18, was a red BMW Isetta bubble car. Fantastic little vehicle :1980_boogie_down:

Erik likes this.
  4. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

devonFRATTONiser likes this.
  5. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Thank you Woopert's for your great service. Disappointed Pompey continue their winning run away from home, but satisfactory to get something from what seems like a good Plymouth side, who always seems to up their game in this particular fixture. At least Pompey are where they should finish at the end of the season, In the play-offs. Now the trick is to stay there for the duration. And I like the play-offs, as sooner or later, Pompey's fortumes will change in this end of season festival of football.

6. The Ides of March

Why were Nicolaisen, and Ben Close.subbed so early? Were they trully worse than the others, or had KJ set the team up wrongly to begin with?

pompeydownunder likes this.
  7. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Rasmus Nicolaisen was definitely having a poor game, possibly because he hadn't played alongside Sean Raggett before. As for Ben Close, I think it was a tactical move by Kenny Jackett - and it seemed to work !!

pompeydownunder likes this.
  8. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

9. The Ides of March

If Pompey can continue this good away form and win 12 away, and win a similar number at home, a play-off place will be the end result. This time we will do it

10. pompeydownunder

pompeydownunder Well-Known Member

I read this thread and the write up in the News before watching the replay I had recorded on television.
    The half time changes have been given much credit for the change in Pompey's fortunes.
    Certainly Whatmough had a very good second half, Nicholaisen having been caught out of position a few times in the first half. This was a straight like for like swap -not a tactical change.
    the possession statistics were 50 -50 at half time but deteriorated for Pompey to 55-45 by full time. So the removal of a mid fielder for a striker reduced our possession percentage - as you might expect.

The difference between the two halfs was, in my view, that Plymouth created much less in the second half. In the first half they created some good chances which were not taken. Their two goals came from errors. Raggert's was unfortuneate. When you try to block shots you are playing the percentages - the occasional one will deflect into the net. The second was a goalkeeping error for which I think we can forgive MacGillivray - because he does not make many!
    Our goals also came from errors but were very well taken. My impression was that our to goals came 'the run of the ball' rather than tactics so I would not exaggerate the effect of the the Harrison for Close substitution.
    That said it was good to see Harrison fit again. If we continue the Harrison - Marquis partnership I would like to see Harrison being the more forward of the two - it appeared to be the other way round in the 2nd half.

11. antipodean exile

antipodean exile Well-Known Member

Always good to go to the home sides website its strange how the same game is viewed differently.
    The referee didn't fit into the critique on this website as opposed to the Plymouth board.
    Game over honours shared a satisfactory result for both - onwards and upwards.........:emoticon-0103-cool: