1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Please tell me this isn't happening...

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by BSG, May 23, 2014.

1. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

2. brb

brb Guest

I like Hessy, however, this is an argument that i've used for a long time, the club will never move forward as long has it continues to go full circle.

Hence i add Taylor to that same list...it will all end in tears.

Anyone know what Keith's doing these days, is he still at Charlton?...just asking

Think about our achievements...can we get off the Le Manège enchanté...flipping heck, all we need now is for a reunion with Zebedee in red trousers and his Dougal...i'll let you work that one out.

3. bristol407

bristol407 Well-Known Member

It was debated on here about a month ago when all the signs were clear that Hessy was on the way back (most notably by his appearances in the Directors Seats at Priestfield) so there is no surprise about this development. There are mixed opinions on his management skills but I think that when it comes to talent spotting at a bargain price, Hessy is in a class of his own, if he is prepared to concentrate on that role he should be welcomed. The only real issue is whether PT wants him back and I think there is little doubt that he does.

4. Gills-man-Ant-Dog

I don't have a problem with Hess as assistant, he seems to fit the criteria that Hess wants and just needed that bit of tactical nounce to be succesful during his managerial reigns.

All i hope is that it doesn't effect Jake, i'm assuming Hess would speak to him first and ascertain his thoughts. This is a player that i'm tipping for player of the season next year (if PT doesn't insist on 'looking after him' too much) therefore we can't afford to do anything that may effect his progression.

5. BelfastBlue

BelfastBlue Member

I think it's a good move. I was critical of hessy as a manager but I have no problem with him in an assistant role.

Although I tend to think generally it's not good to go back , we have already gone down that path with Taylor and as Bristol says if he is happy with Hess then all good. His scouting skills alone with be worth it.

6. Mind the gap!

Mind the gap! Well-Known Member

Hessenthaler is good at picking out young players and so would fit in well to the managing background.

7. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

My views on Hess are well documented... as player he was superb; as a manager he was mediocre at best.

But my concern is that Scally is filling the backroom staff with "yes men" who are more concerned with brown nosing as opposed to doing what is right for the club, of course not that the two are mutually exclusive. It just seems that the two managers who didn't tow the party line, Stimson and Allen, got the most out of the players and achieved promotion.

8. Lenny38

Lenny38 Member

Pathetic decision, so when Taylor gets the sack we will be back with Hessy again, utterly ridiculous. If Hessy was that good why has he not managed to get a job since leaving Gills. Disgusted won't be renewing my season ticket, end of.

9. WestNottsGill

WestNottsGill Member

Hess was great as a player as a and for a manager for 2 seasons but after that was mediocre at best the rest of the time. I wish that he would find pastures new for a good few seasons before any lasting good will towards him goes out the window. I hope that PT sees sense and finds someone with fresh ideas and with an new approach.

10. SirKeefy

SirKeefy Member

Hess a mediocre manager?

He kept us in the Championship for 5 years!! The highest 5 years in the clubs entire history.

Anyway, he's coming back as an assistant. I think it's a ridiculous reason not to renew a s/t Lenny, but hey, it's your choice.

11. gfclukey

gfclukey Member

Agree with SirKeefy, its hardly like Hessenthaler was a huge failure here and as number 2 I think he will actually be more effective, he has a good eye for a player and is a good man manager so he will be able to do that while Peter Taylor does the rest, think he was the victim of his own success during his second spell with many fans (myself included) believing it was going to be completely different with Hess and we would go storming up the leagues. He deserves a chance and I do note every time someone has a bash of a decision (that isn't even confirmed yet may I point out) no alternative is offered, simply deciding anyone else but Hessy will do! The club are clearly supporting Peter Taylor and so am I, whoever he brings in Staff and player wise I will give my backing 100%

12. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Not happy that Hessy is back. Seems he cannot live without being part of Gillingham. He did his best for the club but his best was not good enough second time round and we should be looking at someone different if we want to progress. Scally must believe that when we had our most success we had Taylor and Hessy and hopes it can happen again. Where is Junior Lewis, he must be coming back aswell ?
    Lenny i have got my season ticket hope it will be worth it!

13. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

I am sure my feeling are widely known on the Hess as a manager but in summary he took over a very talented but aging squad in the Championship and while he did well in the early season, he failed to improve the squad and it began the downward spiral which lead us being back in the basement division. Second time round he took a relegated side stabilised it but again in the second season failed to push the club forward. Not great, not awful just mediocre.

As you rightly say though he his coming back as a no. 2 so his managerial career is by the by, but as I said it is the fact that I feel it is another Scally yes-man in the management team

14. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

He failed to improve the squad because we were millions in debt and couldn't afford to compete on gates of 8,000.

Second time around he was landed with Stimson's baggage in the likes of McCammon tying up large sums of the playing budget.

15. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

You mean the Stimson squad of players who achieved promotion from L2 without the likes of big earning players like Bayo, Cody, Whelpdale and Lee; yup that was some baggage alright.

Anyway this is a well trod path between us Grumpy and I doubt we will ever see eye to eye on it, so shall we agree to disagree?

16. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I was actually referring to the Stimson squad who where relegated from league 1, but as you say we will have to agree to disagree.

17. gfclukey

gfclukey Member

Stimson took a 'If you throw enough excrement at the wall some will stick' attitude towards transfers signed a lot of dross that cant be forgotten.

18. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

And yet he still achieved promotion with that "dross"... Something Hess didn't achieve

19. AshfordGill

AshfordGill Active Member

I think Stimson actually put together a fairly decent league one squad, I will never know why we couldn't win away from Priestfield, but we played we some of the finest football I have ever seen under Stimson (at home!), and I dont think that the squad he left Hess was that bad, but equally I think that Hess might make an excellent assistant to Taylor he can certainly spot young talent and I think that he is clearly a capable coach, I hope that they bring the best out in each other and that we can progress next season to being a mid table/ top half team, which I still believe is about where our natural place in the league hierarchy lies.

20. gfclukey

gfclukey Member

I'm not saying it was all bad I'm just saying for every good player he signed there were some absolute donkeys, Stuart Thurgood is one to throw into to exemplify that point. Hessy didn't take us up but just missing the play offs is hardly a an outrageous failure considering under Stimson we only just got into the play offs.