1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Player Retain List/New Contracts/Summer Signings

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, May 3, 2018.

1. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Payne played in the same team as Rodman so with Rodman here it might just swing this transfer our way as Payne will know that crosses will come in and he knows how to hit the back of the net. Maybe just maybe our luck is on the change

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  2. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

He looks a classier act than either Bakayoko or dare I say Harrison to be honest - at least as good as Harrison anyway.

3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Now this is more like it. I was not impressed with the Walsall lad. I would have supported him of course but I felt we could do so much better and this Shrewsbury guy seems to tick my boxes. I will be very happy and more optimistic of a good campaign if this signing happens.

4. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

He looked good on the ground. Not sure how many of his goals attempts were blocked as those on his video seem to be blasted through lotsalegs. I wonder whether DC was after him alongside Bakayoko as this chap doesn't appear to tick the box of a big lad up front!.

5. Gastronomic

Payne's decent in the air. Had a couple of headers on target on Saturday.

6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

If he wasnt after him alongside Bakayoko but is behind Bakayoko on the shopping list, I be worried why he is behind him on the list as too me he is the better option by far. I feel we had a lucky escape with not signing Bakayoko and if we sign this Shrewsbury striker then he would have his mate Rodman here who would know his game as pointed out already and if he is good on the floor then thats good with his hold up play and getting involved more than just using him for hoofball tactics.

7. Sapphire

I'm sure you would agree that crosses into the box for a big striker from two quality wing men doesn't constitute hoofball tactics.

8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Of course. I wasnt suggesting thats what you meant <ok>

I was just saying I prefer a striker who can hold up the ball so he can protect the ball and is good with his feet as the style we play is that way with our passing game and we have the players to do this. I wouldnt us to sign a striker and play hoofball just because he is big if he aint actually good with the ball at his feet.

9. years ago

years ago Active Member

Be careful in what u read, checked Shrewsbury FC Stephan Payne biography hight 1.78 cms (less than 5.10). could not fit in with the demand for a tall centre forward, checked with Wilkepedia show him to be 188. mush more fitting requirement,
    Nothing on Shrewsbury site about us but they do report that two others moving to Ipswich.IPswich seem to be buying a lot and Shrewsbury selling

10. Sapphire

Fair comment.
    I noticed in the World Cup matches that as the tournament progressed teams played a more direct form of football.
    Take the opening game for Germany. IMO they were the best technical passing team on show. Threading the ball through very tight margins with tremendous skill. But it slows the game down and in their case they finished with the ball on the right wing; pretty much everybody else in the opponents box; so a cross came over without a dominant header of the ball; if it fell to feet it and was blasted high wide and handsome. They stuck rigidly to their game plan and came unstuck.
    As a young man I used to watch Rovers who were ridiculed for playing the 'long ball'. But it was a successful tactic in the days of man for man marking. The forwards would pull the defence out of position and the ball was played out of defence over the opposition into space for racehorses like Bobby Jones to out run the defenders to collect the ball in clear space.
    Mind you, if athletics had been professional then instead of all amateur, I don't think Bobby Jones would have wasted his talent playing football He was seriously quick.
    I just prefer a balance between skilled approach and open play. Crowded boxes spoil the game.

11. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I like route 1 too but only at the right time. Some times when our keeper catches from a corner and a quick punt up field when it could be 1 v 1 is effective. But hopelessly and consistently punting up field to 1 striker who has 2 defenders on him all the time is just to easy to combat and more often than not invites the opposition to come at us.
    Lukaku for example. Belgium got the pass and move going really well, especially the counter attacks as they got pace too. But Lukaku has the ability to hold up the ball and get others in the game and he has the height for crosses too. I just prefer a number 9 to have the ability to use both his feet and head not just his head <ok>
    Everything I read on the Walsall lad, he seems to lack the footwork part. Read he also cant really hold up the well either. But the Shrewsbury guy seems to be able to hold the ball well. With our midfielders, a number 9 like Payne is better than the number 9 like Bayayoko.

12. Sapphire

I'm not much of an admirer of long punts out from defence. I want see the ball moved quickly on the floor and passed upfield in as direct a way as is possible. Half a dozen passes around and back around the defensive arc in your own half enables your opponents to set themselves up to force the final play into their defensive shield with most of their team behind he ball defending. Attackers then can't find a way through and reshuffle the ball and play it back to their defence to start the process all over again. It's great for the possessions stats, but does it make for entertaining football?
    As said previously, the world cup games definitely moved tactically towards a more speedy and direct attacking style.

13. Gastronomic

Looks as if Payne's got a much better first touch than Bakayoko and the goals on the highlights are all a bit different, not just running onto the long ball. Payne brings a lot more to the team imo.

14. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

15. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

https://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/2018/august/stefan-payne-signing/

The Club is delighted to announce the signing of Stefan Payne, who joins Rovers for an undisclosed fee from Shrewsbury Town.

The twenty-six-year-old striker was the Shrews leading goalscorer last campaign, scoring fourteen goals in all competitions, playing alongside Rovers' summer signing, Alex Rodman.

Starting his career in non-league, Payne featured for Sutton United before drawing the attention from a host of EFL clubs, interest that saw the striker spent time at Fulham as a trainee.

Stints at Gillingham, Aldershot, Macclesfield and a return to Sutton followed, before a successful spell at Dover Athletic between 2014-16.

A return of 43 goals in just over eighty appearances while featuring for the South-coast side attracted the interest of the then Championship side, Barnsley, who Payne joined in May 2016.

After a run of games in the Championship, Payne joined the Shrewsbury Town, initially on loan, before joining the Shropshire club permanently in August 2017.

Last season, the striker's goals helped the team guided by Paul Hurst to become the surprise package of the division, leading the table for a large proportion of the season before being defeated at Wembley in the play-off final to Rotherham.

The striker arrives at the Mem ahead of Saturday's first league home fixture of the 2018/19 season.

Speaking about the arrival of the striker, Manager Darrell Clarke said, "Stefan is a player that adds to our quality in the forward positions and I would like to welcome him to Bristol Rovers F.C. He's a player that enjoyed a good goal return last season with his goals helping Shrewsbury to reach the play-off final. We are all looking forward to seeing Stefan fit into the squad of players we have assembled over the summer and his arrival adds competition for places within the starting eleven."

16. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Plenty of ink !! Sounds like a good signing though, let's hope he get's off to a flyer.

17. old timer

Rovers have signed Watford striker Alex Jakubiak on loan for the season

18. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

19. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

https://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/2018/august/alex-jabubiak-signing/

We are pleased to announce the loan signing of striker Alex Jakubiak from Watford.

The forward put pen to paper on a deal to spend the 2018/19 season on loan at the Memorial Stadium earlier today.

Jakubiak signed his professional contract with the Watford in 2014, after finishing as top scorer for the Hornets' Under-18s and featuring in the Under-21 Premier League Cup campaign during the 2013/14 season, with 23 goals in total.

The impressive goal return saw the striker being awarded his debut for Watford in the final game of the 2013/14 campaign, featuring in a Championship fixture against Huddersfield.

Further EFL experience for the striker followed during a loan spell at the Kassam Stadium during the 2014/15 season, where he featured for Oxford on ten occasions, before a longer loan spell at Dagenham and Redbridge followed.

On his return to Watford, the striker penned a contract extension to extend his time at Vicarage Road, with the striker once again showing an eye for goal in the U21's, scoring over twenty goals that saw him pick the accolade of Development Squad Player of the Season award during the 2015/16 campaign.

Further loan spells in the EFL followed as the striker took in stints at both Fleetwood and Wycombe during the course of the 2016/17 season.

In January 2018, Jakubiak joined Falkirk on loan, scoring seven times, which included a run of five goals in four games in the month of February.

Speaking about the addition of the striker to his squad, Manager Darrell Clarke said, "We are delighted to have agreed a deal bring Alex to the club for the season. Alex has got past EFL experience and enjoyed a successful loan spell in Scotland last season. He will add to our competition in the attacking positions and we hope to be able to bring the best out of his game during his spell with us."

20. old timer

Lovely spoof headline on Bristol Rovers tw from Clive Forshaw Bristol Rovers make £5M bid for Ben Brereton of Notts Forest