1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Player of the Season?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Arsegun, May 2, 2018.

1. Arsegun

Arsegun Well-Known Member

I'm gonna say:

1. Monreal. Consistently good. Probably his best season. Works super hard for the team. Grabbed lots of useful goals.
    2. Ozil. Where would we be without him? Quality in a sea of mediocrity. Stuck with us at a low point.
    3. Elneny. Improving very quickly and adding assists to his game.
    4. Ramsey. Almost back to his goal-scoring best.
    5. Wilshere. Good to see him playing regularly.
    6. Ainsley Maitland Niles. Looks a class act so far.

Small disappointments: Cech, Bellerin, Iwobi.
    Big disappointments: Koscielny, Mustafi, Xhaka.

On the plus side, we have many players developing well (Chambers, Holding, Ainsley Maitland Niles, Elneny), others getting back to their best (Ramsey, Wilshere), quality strikers who look like finally adapting to the league (Lacazette, Aubameyang), and others... who can't get any worse (Koscielny, Mustafi, Xhaka).

However we need to strengthen in the wing-forward position. We probably also need a new center back and goalkeeper, although we have good young center backs. May be time to offload Mustafi.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  2. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Yeah Monreal.

Ozil has had some good moments, Wilshere and Ramsey have shown some quality at times. Bellerin has been steady... the rest have been mediocre or worse.

3. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

Monreal for me too.

4. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

Eesh ...that list.

Monreal by default.

No one else has even remotely had a good season, first time in years no one specifically stands out.

Is it next season yet?

5. straycat_67

straycat_67 Well-Known Member

Monreal for me too, by quite some distance, which says a lot for the rest!

Some will disagree but I think Bellerin on the whole has been disappointing this year, although I do think Xhaka has made some improvement over the past 3-4 months. Chambers has been a lot more solid since his first spell and I believe he has a place at the club. Ozil is Ozil nothing outstanding this year but mostly done his job, arguably.

Both Mustafi and Kos are my biggest disappointments this year, both seasoned, experienced National team players...but somehow for us they seem to make unbelievable school boy errors way too often.

Ramsey, I admire his endeavour but I wish he would stop thinking he's Messi, Messi he ain't! He loses the ball far too often with his smart ass tricks, it needs to be stamped out, back to basics please!

It's strange not being able to discuss Striker's, but for both Auba & Laca, it's too early for me to form a valid opinion, only hope they get a decent injury free run next year and settle in nicely for the 2018/19 season.

6. bobo_97

bobo_97 Well-Known Member

Iwobi;)

winifred122 likes this.
  7. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

Monreal gets my vote - he hasn’t let us down unlike others (Kos and Mustafi)