1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Player of the season

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Dier Hard, May 2, 2017.

?

Who is your Spurs player of the season?

Poll closed May 9, 2017.
  1. Toby Alderweireld

6.5%
  2. Dele Alli

6.5%
  3. Christian Eriksen

6.5%
  4. Mousa Dembele

6.5%
  5. Harry Kane

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Heung Min Son

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Jan Vertonghen

32.3%
  8. Kyle Walker

3.2%
  9. Victor Wanyama

38.7%
  10. Other - state in comments

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

If we're just talking the League then it'd be Alli for me. Had a slow start but 14 goals in the last 18 games(I counted so it may be wrong) has been a big part of why we're right up there. He eptomises all the qualities that have got us where we are and I love watching him.

His red against Gent lets him down though and I think Eriksen edges him over all comps. You can make a very good case for all of those choices in the poll.

2. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I won't be going for Kane or Alli due to them already getting plenty recognition. I'd give it to Toby if he needs some love to tempt him to sign a new contract.

Shout out to Son...I'm a big critic of him when he doesn't turn up but when he does he is a joy to watch...like a kid in a playground, no offside rules. 18 goals in all competitions for us and was my player of the Tournament for our FA Cup run.

Kyle Walker has also been immense and we miss his direct energy when he does not start.

The more I'm thinking of this the more I realise how much of a brilliant team we are...everyone contributes, no passengers.

I wouldn't give it to Dembele because I think he needs to shoot more and with conviction...but what an absolute beast...as soon as he has the ball, I can usually nip into the kitchen or go for a leak etc, because I know he wont lose the ball by the time I am back.

Rose can't be in contention I'm afraid due to his absence, but what a wizard, the Black Cafu.

Dier...doing his job brilliantly and unfortunately seems to be the one whose role is only appreciated properly if you are playing next to him...no thrills, no nonsense, future Captain for me.

Lioris has had too many brain farts that have been costly for me.

Eriksen has come good when it mattered most for us this season and has upped his affectiveness in the game...but was getting on my nerves before Christmas. Give up on the corners you little magician you.

Jan has been Mr Consistent and silky to boot...got on with his football this year and has been pivotal in making our back 3 work...id give it to him for the fact that he is quite unsung...but we the fans know what he does.

I'm going for Victor too for the reasons mentioned by everyone else...he's been solid as a rock...in my house he is called the Kenyan kollosus.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  3. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

The strength of Spurs has been the strength of the team as a unit.
    Sometimes a few star players (occasionally one stand out player) can elevate the level of the team. But it's the collective who have performed so well over the season - especially since the turn of the year and during the nine game winning streak.
    It's impossible to single out one individual, isn't it?

4. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think that the NLD just confirmed it.
    Missing Walker, Rose, Dembele and Lamela from those who you'd have picked at the start of the season for this game.
    Still totally dominated and won comfortably.
    There have been a few games where we've badly missed a player or two, but absences have generally been ably covered.

That being said, I'm going to stick with the spirit of the thread and pick somebody.
    I have to go with Wanyama too, I think. He looks like he's been playing in this side for years.
    I was worried about his tendency to go to ground and his passing, but both have improved dramatically already.
    He bullies the opposition, shield's the defence and gets moves going, even chipping in with a couple of goals, too.

43 appearances in his first season for us and he's rarely been anything less than very good.
    Cost about a third of a Sissoko, too.

5. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

18 months ago, there were some turgid Spurs performances because the 4-3-3 system had two players in the wider forward positions who were not running into wide positions with pace, but cutting inside instead. If you remember, there were some dull games. Results were salvaged by Kane coming to the rescue in a 1-0 win.
    Since going to 3-4-3, the width and pace is provided by the full backs/wing backs and as a result, there is a great tempo, energy and urgency to the team's play. Players are constantly on the move and making themselves available to receive the ball. This is what makes it hard for the opposition (with or without the ball).
    Dele Alli is the epitome of a player suited to this system. He is able to take up lots of different positions and is continually able to find space in the penalty area. He is your most influential player at present for this reason. I'd give it Alli.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    Dier Hard likes this.
  6. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Such a tough choice but after spending most of the day thinking about it, I'm going for Jan too. He has been by a distance the best defender in an already ridiculously talented back line. He carried the defence when Toby was out and has handled the transition to a back 3 with total ease. If anything, the switch has actually made him an even better player as he can now go on marauding runs safe in the knowledge that one of Davies or Vic will cover for him. So comfortable on the ball and with an excellent footballing brain. Never panics and is a master of the 'dark arts' to wind strikers up without getting into trouble for it. All in all, our most consistent performer who has raised every aspect of his game to another level.

Most improved player I'd also pick Son. Last season we saw flashes of brilliance but it genuinely looked as though we had spunked another fortune up the wall on an attacking misfit. I remember arguing that he should be given another season for no reason other than 'we gave Lamela plenty of time to settle'. Fast forward 8 months, 19 goals and 1 hat trick later, and it is safe to say that we are reaping the rewards of our patience with the player. We cannot underestimate the importance of having two attacking players who are for all intents and purposes two-footed. Kane and Son are a nightmare for defenders, as there is simply no such thing as 'show him onto his weaker foot'. His 2 goals against Boro early in the season in Kane's absence epitomised the ability he has with either foot. At Bayer he scored 13 with his right and 12 with his left. Last time I checked, he was on 16 goals for us this season - 9 with his right, 7 with his left. Sure, there are many aspects of his game that still need working on - especially his decision making. But it is rare to see such drastic improvements in such a short period of time. Exceptional workrate, always smiling, and has the most complicated way of shaking hands under the sun. :emoticon-0150-hands

Lovearsenalcock and Dier Hard like this.
  7. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Completely agree. He's also important for the future of our squad, in my opinion.
    He's scored a lot of goals, played well in a lot of games and yet doesn't moan when he's not starting and always plays with a smile on his face.
    Great player to have on the bench too, as his energy, pace and finishing are all terrifying for tired legs.

His only downside is the distance he has to cover playing for his country.
    Basically puts himself on the bench after every international break.
    Levy probably thinks that the shirt sales and profile lift in Asia's worth that, though. He might be right.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Fully agree with the notion of Son as most improved.

Been an absolute breath of fresh air. What were glimpses last season is now consistency this season - and there's still loads of room for improvement. 19 goals is an excellent return for someone who hasn't always been in the starting XI. Seems a very popular member of the group as well, regarded by many as the team joker.

Money very well spent.

deedub93 and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  9. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

10. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

I would say that the team collectively provides the platform to enable individual
    players to perform to an even greater level. That appears to have been the case
    in 2017. For exmple, defence and CM has allowed Eriksen to provide more
    assists in attack, attempt to score more goals etc.

11. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

...and the papers were convinced he'd be leaving on Deadline Day back in August.

12. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

He of the crap set pieces, for me. Eriksen sets the table for the goals, from all the assists and key passes to often enough serving as a Modric by getting the ball forward quickly and to the right player. Eriksen just edges Vertonghen, I think. In addition to superb defending, Jan makes the first pass more often than anyone else, and does it extremely well, while occasionally also providing an attacking threat. I have to say I'm probably less bullish about Wanyama than anyone. It was just the Arsenal game where I got over wishing he didn't get involved in the attack. He may be the best pure DM in the league, but his decisions, touch and passing have all been wayward more than our other players. Son, incidentally, has been just great in the attacking end, but I don't like him with the ball outside the final third either: again, too many bad touches and poor decisions. I love how he tortures defenders in the final third, though. But the amazing thing about this team is that you could make a strong case for 11 players, and some kind of case for 2 more.

Lovearsenalcock and Dier Hard like this.
  13. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

I'll chime in and have to agree with a lot of what's been posted. We have a fantastic team and squad. Not perfect by any means but there are very, very few weak links. We've had plenty of players you'd have had nailed on to start in our 'best XI' from last season miss a lot of games but we're still up there pushing the league leaders all the way.

Running through it quickly:

1. Lloris - once again fantastic. Best keeper in the league IMO and easily top 5 in the world
    2. Walker - great season for the flyer and we all hope that recent rumours are unsubstantiated
    3. Rose - easily the best LB/LWB in the league up until his injury, by a country mile
    4. Toby - run out of superlatives for the lad
    5. Jan - seriously stepped it up this season. We know he's got a bit of an attitude sometimes but at least we've seen the player and not the sulk this time round
    7. Son - kicked on and shown some real quality when we've needed it. Didn't have the easiest of times when he had to lead the line against good opposition but has been effective when he gets to play his natural game
    9. Big Vinny - difficult season in many ways, has probably had more pressure on him earlier than Poch would have liked due to injuries. Worth persisting with IMO
    10. Kane - lethal again
    11. Lamela - we've missed his work rate and aggression when he's been injured. I think we all hope he makes a full recovery and returns to be a key player again
    12. Vic - one of the signings of the season no doubt. When you look at what we got him for compared to others (Sissoko and even Kante...) he's been a steal
    13. Vorm - performed better than we all expected him to really, looked a solid deputy for Hugo and could probably start for a lot of the top half PL teams
    14. GKN - to be fair, has he even played?
    15. Dier - emerged as a leader and seems a very popular guy. Very rarely lets you down wherever he plays. Back 3 really suits him IMO
    16. Tripps - deputised more than ably for Walker and recent starts have been justified
    17. Sissoko - cack
    19. Dembele - missed at the start of the season and has continued his renaissance from last year. Offers something unique and invaluable to the squad
    20. Alli - we've seen the petulance again for sure but also even more mercurial talent. Easy to forget he's still so young. Fits this team like a glove
    23. Eriksen - still can't take corners...but such a key players for us. Even in his quiet spells he sets the tone for the team. Does so much work off the ball that goes unnoticed. I wouldn't want to start a big game without him in the XI
    25. Onomah - made some strides but progress has been outstripped by others this season. Definitely got a future at a good level, maybe not Spurs though?
    27. Wimmer - hasn't kicked on to be fair. Not sure if back 3 doesn't suit him for some reason? Poch looks like he's lost trust. Could be off in the summer I think
    29. Winks - was having a cracking season before his unfortunate injury. Definitely think we'll be seeing a lot more of the other Harry assuming he makes an adequate recovery
    33. Davies - answered a few critics I think since Rose's injury. Not as dynamic but few are. We're lucky to have a player of such quality as 2nd choice
    38. CCV - not convinced yet but he is very, very young

I mean just writing that out, you'd question Sissoko and Wimmer's futures, and maybe Onomah, GKN, CCV and Janssen too, but those four are less experienced. Everyone else has been good to excellent (allowing for injuries). My top 3 pics for POTS would be Eriksen, Vic or Jan, and the Belgian would just nick it for me. Deserves the accolade for stepping up his attitude and performances this season as one of the senior players.

14. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

I agree Son is the most improved player. He went from bust to the finishing touch on our attacking play: a pacy player who likes to work at sharp angles to the goal. He created a symbiosis with our other forwards, who both lack conspicuous pace and like to come through the middle. Defenders suddenly had to worry about their outside shoulder in addition to the big problems Eriksen, Dele and Kane posed in front of them.

But the key moment in the season so far may have been when (I guess) Davies and Pochettino worked out how to make three at the back work with Davies instead of Rose. Since Davies does his best work at the corner of the box, they reversed the usual pattern of wingers flanking narrow forwards. Someone, usually Son, overlapped Davies. It was an excellent example of the kinds of tactical adjustments Pochettino is learning how to make, and must have taken a lot of work from Davies to implement. It also shows, again, how well-judged an addition Son was.

15. lennypops

lennypops Well-Known Member

Lol! I've skipped through this thread but it certainly says something when the question is "Who is our POTY?" and one person's legitimate response is "Right - better go through EVERY SINGLE MEMBER OF THE SQUAD and give a little assessment of each".

Cos it really is like that. So. ****ing. Good!

Funnily enough I looked at the options and thought "You know I cheekily might say Wanyama..." and then saw that he was basically one of the leading contenders. I thought it was just me. I ****ing love the guy. And he gets my vote. Just so consistent and is really several grades more silky than I thought - made a few decent passes in the NLD the other day. Can't wait for him to score a screamer.

In fact I've been joking with my mate the last few months by texting him during each Spurs game "Have I told you how much I love Victor Wanyama?" and more recently I've been watching the games with him and every time I've said "Just watch Wanyama" or "He'll get that" or "He'll do something useful here". 9/10 he bloody does! Ridiculously good buy.

So am I voting for the Premier League YPOTY (2 seasons in a row)? Am I voting for the man who, in his third full season, scored 20 goals for the third time in a row, joining a tiny group of Premiership greats? Am I voting for any of the defenders or goalkeeper who have given us the best defence in the league? For the beast that is Dembele who, when he plays, looks like he invented football? Nah.

16. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

There are so many options for our POTY that if I consciously pick one I will feel that I am cheating all the others. Perhaps I should put all the names in a hat and pick one out

17. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Just leave Sissoko out - you could end up looking ridiculous <ok>

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  18. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

Who?

19. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

Best defence in the league
    Best attack in the league
    Midfield contributes to both the defence and midfield. So must be best midfield.
    Dare I say best team in the league (definitely when at full strength recently)

So who do I pick?
    Going to walk the dog and think about it.

20. Inda

Inda Well-Known Member

Eriksen for me too because *sticks me 'Arry hat on* he's a good passer of the ball

Forget the corners. It's not his choice. Trying to skim the ball off the top of Toby's head, near the front post, at speed, is very, very hard