1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Play Offs it is then

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by ninian opinion, Apr 7, 2018.

1. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Can see us getting 4 home points plus 2 away points. That’ll put us 3rd or 4th.
    It was in our hands, still is theoretically, but there can be no way Fulham with their easy run in can be stopped.

No apologies for being pessimistic as am being realistic.

Yes Madine or Mitrovic indeed.

2. Blue Sheep

Blue Sheep Well-Known Member

I’ll wait until Tuesday night’s results before joining the Doom & Gloom Club (In the words of Private Fraser). Bringing Ralls and hopefully Grujic back into midfield would make a big difference and of all the teams left to face Villa are arguably in the worse form. Still a tough match mind.

If we do end up 3rd or 4th then I think it’s important to remember how good this season has been however disappointing it will be to miss out on 2nd <ok>

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  3. Rhondda Leader

Fulham haven't lost for 19 games and won 15 of them.
    To be honest , that's one hell of a run.
    So they have 5 games left and TBH the only one I can't see them getting maximum points from is Millwall .
    But who knows that's why football especially in the championship is so enthralling.
    A run like they have had surely as to end sometime , maybe when they least expect it ?
    But I can't see it , so they will get probably 91 points at least .
    So we need 12 points out of 6 games.
    This is me being positive , if we play like we did against Wolves I think (hopefully) we can do it.
    It's a tall order , so let's see what we can do .

4. suprimir

suprimir Active Member

We have Villa, Norwich, Forest, Derby, Hull and Reading to come. Fulham have Reading, Brentford, Milwall, Sunderland, and Birmingham.

Maybe 10 points for us. Fulham look like 13 to me. Still, if we are in the playoffs, I think we will do okay.

5. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Too early for Ralls. Not match fit.Sub and give him 20/25 mins then in for Norwich.

6. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We all tend to do it, but evaluating the games to go and predicting results is a minefield.

On that basis, all logic says Fulham should overtake us probably as soon as next weekend but since when did logic apply to Championship results. A single poor result for Fulham, especially an unexpected one can change everything, not just the impending doom on here, as justifiable as it seems right now.

That said we still have to go out and win our games and there is no reason why that can't start on Tuesday at Villa - they look fragile under pressure to me.

I can still see this going down to the last game of the season. Fulham are away to Brum and we're at home to Reading. If there is less than 3 points between us at that time, I'd expect us to take second spot.

7. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

None of them frightens me, I'm sure our team will be up for the fight. Onwards and upwards.

8. fulham traveller

fulham traveller Well-Known Member

We only have to slip us once and you twice at least, still in your hands. We might lose to proxy reading, or our bogey team brentford, it’s nail,biting stuff

9. ninian opinion

Nailed on win v Brentford.

The difference is in the way our respective teams play. Fulham play high tempo football at pace whereas City play hoofball.

Look at the HOME games v Wolves. Fulham played their usual game whereas City set up defensively (at home<doh>) to try to negate Wolves’ attacking wing backs thereby conceding central midfield to Wolves.

Our lacklustre display at Sheff U was so another example of trying to limp over the line.

If the ref has only given that pen at Craven Cottage but saying that we’d have missed it<whistle>

Boro or Millwall then?

fulham traveller likes this.
  10. fulham traveller

Would rather we play millwall over two legs. Don’t fancy us against pulls, the way you play gets results, you go,a goal up and it’s game over, it’s a roller coaster of emotions, you don’t have to win many, we have to win them all, last time we beat brentford at home was 1982, it’s there cup final, they got a draw last season at similar time of the year,

11. ninian opinion

It’s only of theoretical interest to Fulham as they’ll be setting their sat navs to Burnley & Wolverhampton

12. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

what will be will be

13. Rhondda Leader

If Fulham don't lose for the rest of the season , that will be a truly outstanding achievement .
    Over half the season unbeaten , in the most competitive league in Europe.

Yes I'm trying to jinx them.

I'm also betting on them winning they're last 5 games .

BWWBWB.

14. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Dust ourselves off and go again.
    It's all we can do.

BluefromBridgend and DaiJones like this.
  15. fulham traveller

In the last 10 homes games against Brazil aka brentford we have won once back in 1990

16. ninian opinion

So what?

These sort of stats are meaningless. It is a game between 2 teams with different players at a different time with no relevance to previous games between the clubs.

17. fulham traveller

But there’s teams we don’t beat, we have. Not beat burnley away since 1951 1 win in 31 attempts more confident of beating millwall than brentford

18. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

We all have so called "Bogey" teams what Ninian opinion says is right but us fans always think the worse.

fulham traveller likes this.
  19. Barry Tiger

Barry Tiger Well-Known Member

I think there is something in this regarding bogey teams.

Looking at City's remaining 6 matches the total playing record against each club is;

Norwich - W 15 D 9 L 30
    Villa - W 21 D 6 L 26
    Hull - W 20 D 20 L 24
    Reading - W 23 D 20 L24
    Derby - W 28 D 17 L17
    Forest - W 28 D 11 L14

So in order of bogeyness - historically Norwich are our toughest opponents and Forest the easiest.

I suspect that if you were asked to rank the teams in order without seeing the stats that would have been the case anyway.

So what does this tell us, absolutely nothing other than I have got too much time on my hands!

Incidentally Fulhams record against Brentford is W21 D16 L20 and against Millwall W17 D12 L14.

So that doesnt tell us anything either!

20. Blue Sheep

Blue Sheep Well-Known Member

Feel that the distance has an impact on this though. Its not a coincidence that our record in both Suffolk and Norfolk as well as the North East is poor. <wah>